THE MIKHAILA PETERSON PODCAST
Episode 2: Max Lugavere – Simple Ways to Be Healthier
“We know more about space than we know about our own brains”
Max Lugavere is a filmmaker, health and science journalist and the author of the New York Times best-seller Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life, published in 8 languages around the globe. He is also the host of the #1 iTunes health podcast The Genius Life.
Lugavere appears regularly on the Dr. Oz Show, the Rachael Ray Show, and The Doctors. He has contributed to Medscape, Vice, Fast Company, CNN, and the Daily Beast, has been featured on NBC Nightly News, The Today Show, and in The New York Times and People Magazine. He is an internationally sought-after speaker and has given talks at South by Southwest, TEDx, and many others.
- [2:00] Max started his career as a journalist, working for Current TV
- [3:00] When his Mom got sick, Max left his job to pursue health and nutrition
- [5:00] A singularity moment: His mom’s diagnosis changed Max and his path forever
- [7:00] Dementia begins in the brain years before symptoms occur
- [10:00] Mikhaila’s experience with Doctors and the availability of high-quality research on the internet
- [11:00] “Diagnose and Adios!”
- [14:00] Foods that everyone should avoid – Grapeseed oil, Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, etc.
- [15:00] Nutrigenomics, the study of how different diets affect people with different genetics
- [18:30] Max goes into his daily diet
- [21:30] “We know more about space than we know about our own brains”
- [22:00] Carotenoids have been shown to increase brain processing speed by up to 20%
- [23:30] Supplementing 12 milligrams per day of combined lutein and zeaxanthin can actually boost brain processing speed
- [27:00] Microbiome issues and healing your gut
- [29:00] Thyroid dysfunction, thyroid health and removing gluten entirely
- [30:30] Dr. Stephen Gundry’s Lectin free diet
- [32:00] “Gluten is not only a protein that no human can properly digest, in the Standard American Diet – it is rampant!” and the consequences
- [33:30] Studies linking Gluten to Schizophrenia and other mental disorders
- [36:00] “If it’s in the shopping cart… it’s in my stomach” – remove the bad foods from your house!
- [37:00] Intermittent fasting and long-term fasting
- [39:00] Tasty alternatives to potato chips… a contentious question…
- [44:00] It’s not a moral failure to binge on fat, salt, and carbs. It’s evolutionarily programmed into you!
- [49:00] Change your lifestyle now! Don’t wait until calamity hits to change your diet and exercise habits.
Mikhaila Peterson (@mikhailapeterson Instagram) is a 28 year old mother, CEO, health influencer, writer and founder of the Lion Diet, from Toronto, Canada. She has put her idiopathic juvenile arthritis, severe depression (bipolar type II), and chronic fatigue (among other ailments) into remission using The Lion Diet - a beef, salt and water elimination diet. Although it may seem unorthodox, she’s thrived on it for over 2 years. Also recognized for her work with her father, Dr. Jordan B. Peterson (Canadian psychologist and author), she encourages others to take responsibility for every part of their physical and mental health, and teaches how to dramatically transform one's life by never giving up on yourself.
The Mikhaila Peterson Podcast is a podcast where host Mikhaila Peterson speaks with thought leaders, and industry changers - continually finding the best ways to improve the human experience. From stay at home mom’s to CEO’s, fitness enthusiasts to spiritual guides, nutrition researchers to health professionals - Mikhaila has interview-style conversations aimed at provoking thought, addressing difficult subjects, and speaking about topics that are generally shied away from.