THE MIKHAILA PETERSON PODCAST
#32 Matthew McConaughey
“As far as I can tell, what everybody, rich, poor, whatever socio-economic, whatever color, creed or sex, what everyone needs to be some form of happy or to have some joy in their life is just to have something to look forward to. A reason to get out of bed in the morning.”
Matthew McConaughey (actor, producer, and best-selling author of Greenlights) and I spoke about his new book “Green Lights”, and how to live a good life. Matthew shared some hilariously absurd stories from his life, anecdotes, we spoke about people, places, his kids, social media, travel, religion, fate, fame, and how taking control of his decisions and direction and trying to catch greenlights has made him into the insanely interesting individual he is today.
This episode is brought to you by the fantastic Murdy Creative Co. Murdy Creative Co. combines handmade processes with contemporary tools to create truly unique journals, binders, and portfolios.
Visit https://www.murdycreativeco.com to check out all of their beautiful products and use code name “MP” for a free custom engraving on any product.
This episode is also sponsored by https://ottowilde.com – use code “MP” on their website to get 10% off your first Otto Wilde product. The Otto Wilde grill is amazing. 900* is a great temperature for steaks.
- [4:30] Matthew McConaughey about his new self written memoir titled Greenlights. Matthew gives some of the background that lead to him deciding to write the book.
- [6:30] McConaughey’s reasoning behind the title “Greenlights” making decisions and taking responsibility for his future and life, taking opportunities as they come, and turning yellow lights into green lights when needed.
- [8:00] Matthew talks about his philosophy behind the hard times (red lights) in life.
- [8:30] The importance Matthew puts on having a sense of humor during the hard time in life to help set your mind on the right path to getting through something.
- [9:30] Matthew expands on his ability to keep things in perspective when life gets tough and times are hard, you have to focus on the good and choose not to feel victimized. But also learn not to keep stepping in the same potholes
- [13:30] Mikhaila asks McConaughey about his upbringing and if it had a hand in molding him into the resilient individual he is today.
- [17:00] How to know when you may have a role in creating some of the red lights you deal with and also dealing with bad luck in life.
- [21:00] People become set in their ways, how much can we change after a certain point in life, what are ways to help us reset our minds?
- [22:30] Matthew McConaughey tells a story about shrooms and resetting one’s mind
- [23:30] Matthew’s advice for teens trying to learn to make choices and “grow up”. We all need to deal with the ease of leaving into the negative of positive feedback we all receive daily in the modern technologically connected world. Don’t feed into the false mirrors in society.
- [28:30] Matthew on parenting kids in the age of social media, “It’s a wild wild west out there with kids now.”
- [34:30] Mikhaila asks Matthew how important travel is to understand others and how necessary it is to understand how the world works.
- [34:30] “As far as I can tell, what everybody, rich, poor, whatever socio economic, whatever color, creed or sex, what everyone needs to be some form of happy or to have some joy in their life is just to have something to look forward to. A reason to get out of bed in the morning.”
- [37:30] Let’s celebrate our differences in the world. Matthew believes that “you go to somebody whose passport is full, you probably can trust that person.”
- [40:30] Mikhaila asks Matthew what the hardest part of being famous is?
- [42:00] Matthew tells a story about being in Mahli undercover as a man named David, a boxer from the west and the unique experiences that lead to.
- [52:30] Mikhaila asks Matthew his thoughts on religion, spirituality, and fate.
- [57:30] Check out Matthew’s new book Greenlights
Mikhaila Peterson (@mikhailapeterson Instagram) is a 28 year old mother, CEO, health influencer, writer and founder of the Lion Diet, from Toronto, Canada. She has put her idiopathic juvenile arthritis, severe depression (bipolar type II), and chronic fatigue (among other ailments) into remission using The Lion Diet - a beef, salt and water elimination diet. Although it may seem unorthodox, she’s thrived on it for over 2 years. Also recognized for her work with her father, Dr. Jordan B. Peterson (Canadian psychologist and author), she encourages others to take responsibility for every part of their physical and mental health, and teaches how to dramatically transform one's life by never giving up on yourself.
The Mikhaila Peterson Podcast is a podcast where host Mikhaila Peterson speaks with thought leaders, and industry changers - continually finding the best ways to improve the human experience. From stay at home mom’s to CEO’s, fitness enthusiasts to spiritual guides, nutrition researchers to health professionals - Mikhaila has interview-style conversations aimed at provoking thought, addressing difficult subjects, and speaking about topics that are generally shied away from.