THE MIKHAILA PETERSON PODCAST
Episode 1: Aubrey Marcus – Practicing What You Preach, Getting Engaged, and the Human Experience
“…if you look back and realize that you’re grateful for everything in hindsight, why not be grateful for everything with foresight?”
Aubrey Marcus is the New York Times Best-Selling author of “Own The Day, Own Your Life” and founder and CEO of Onnit, a lifestyle brand based on a holistic health philosophy he calls Total Human Optimization. Since its founding, Onnit has become an Inc. 500 company and industry leader with over 250 products ranging from peak performance supplements to foods, fitness equipment, and apparel. Aubrey currently hosts The Aubrey Marcus Podcast, a destination for conversations with the brightest minds in athletics, business, science, and philosophy with over 30 million downloads on iTunes. He is also the instructor of a 16-week goal-acceleration program called Go For Your Win. A sought-after public speaker and multi-platform media expert, Aubrey has been featured in major media outlets such as Entrepreneur, Forbes, Men’s Health and Men’s Journal, among others. His book, “Own The Day, Own Your Life” was published by HarperCollins in 2018.
- [1:00] Mikhaila and Aubrey met at Paleo f(x) in 2018
- [2:30] Aubrey’s near-fatal accident
- [5:00] “This happened for me, not to me.” – Aubrey Marcus speaking on his car accident
- [7:00] How to train yourself to be able to shift perspective when tragedy strikes
- [8:30] “if you look back and realize that you’re grateful for everything in hindsight, why not be grateful for everything with foresight?”
- [10:30] Mikhaila is starting to revisit the topic of supplements now that she has healed enough to physically tolerate them
- [12:30] Many factors have led us to being very under mineralized, especially in Magnesium
- [14:00] Huperzine A, Alpha GPC, and stomach tolerance
- [18:00] Aubrey’s diet – usually high protein, high fat for breakfast and lunch. He uses carbs to help him wind down in the evening
- [21:30] Using electrolyte mixtures to help stave off mineral deficiencies
- [22:30] ENGAGEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT!
- [23:00] Polyamory and Aubrey’s previous relationship
- [26:00] Lessons learned from Polyamory and the unique pressures associated with the lifestyle
- [30:30] Heading towards discomfort rather than away from it, and how to know when to confront something difficult vs. listening to your intuition and avoiding the difficult
- [32:00] If you’re exhausted and you haven’t slept… don’t do that 10-minute ice plunge!
- [35:00] Aubrey’s experience in a multi-day silence and darkness retreat
- [41:00] Aubrey’s first psychedelic experience – a “vision quest” with psilocybin mushrooms at 18 changed him forever
- [43:00] The difference in the subjective experience between different psychedelic compounds
- [47:30] Sleep and a recent habituation to taking Benzodiazepines to sleep
- [52:30] ONNIT exercise equipment!
- [56:00] The Grass is Greener Syndrome
Mikhaila Peterson (@mikhailapeterson Instagram) is a 28 year old mother, CEO, health influencer, writer and founder of the Lion Diet, from Toronto, Canada. She has put her idiopathic juvenile arthritis, severe depression (bipolar type II), and chronic fatigue (among other ailments) into remission using The Lion Diet - a beef, salt and water elimination diet. Although it may seem unorthodox, she’s thrived on it for over 2 years. Also recognized for her work with her father, Dr. Jordan B. Peterson (Canadian psychologist and author), she encourages others to take responsibility for every part of their physical and mental health, and teaches how to dramatically transform one's life by never giving up on yourself.
The Mikhaila Peterson Podcast is a podcast where host Mikhaila Peterson speaks with thought leaders, and industry changers - continually finding the best ways to improve the human experience. From stay at home mom’s to CEO’s, fitness enthusiasts to spiritual guides, nutrition researchers to health professionals - Mikhaila has interview-style conversations aimed at provoking thought, addressing difficult subjects, and speaking about topics that are generally shied away from.