Dr. Saifedean Ammous (economist and author of The Bitcoin Standard) and I discuss trying to time the bitcoin market, dollar-cost averaging, alt-coins, and the eventuality of the bitcoin takeover.
This episode is sponsored by truLOCAL. truLOCAL partners with local farmers and butchers (in your area) to source the best meat available. Serving 100’s of cuts of Beef, Lamb, Buffalo, and Chicken; truLOCAL even offers cuts that you can’t get at the grocery store.
Visit https://trulocal.ca and enter code “MP” to get 2 free ribeye steaks with any order.
- [2:30] Dr. Ammous presents his research & teachings on his website: https://www.saifedean.com
- [4:00] A brief background of bitcoin, a new form of money.
- [5:00] “With bitcoin, we see the first example of digital scarcity.”
- [5:30] “It is completely apolitical; it is a complete technological solution to the problem of money and doesn’t require a government’s permission to work.”
- [8:00] Different aspects of bitcoin
- [11:00] Bitcoins growth overtime
- [13:00] How to think about bitcoin
- [14:30] Bitcoin liquidity
- [15:30] Market Cap of Bitcoin
- [18:00] How to get started with bitcoin
- [19:00] Website to get started for bitcoin: startusingitcoin.com
- [20:30] Dollar-cost averaging – buying small amounts over longer periods of time
- [21:00] Trying to time the market
- [22:30] Dollar-Cost averaging bitcoin: dcabtc.com
- [24:00] At first bitcoin was mis-evangelized
- [29:30] Keeping a bitcoin wallet
- [31:00] Backing up bitcoin with seeds
- [31:30] “Bitcoin is financial dynamite, nobody was complaining about the ease of use of dynamite. If you didn’t like to use dynamite, you didn’t like to use gunpowder, someone else is going to use it against you. So you better suck it up and learn how to use gunpowder.”
- [34:30] “The hardness of money ends up being probably the most important things about money”
- [36:00] Alternative Coins
- [37:00] The only thing that makes bitcoin valuable is the fact that the supply is scarce and nobody can change the supply.”
- [40:30] “It’s a misconception that bitcoin is not trackable. Bitcoin is quite well trackable.”
- [44:00] Saif’s carnivore diet journey
- [46:00] Cutting out food experiments
- [50:00] The bitcoin carnivore movement
- [57:00] A typical day for Saif
- [1:01:00] The work/life balance