6 Month Carnivore Update

Tl;dr: I love this diet. I am never going back.

Updates:

Baby:  I’ve caved and gotten a nanny, and she’s starting in 2 weeks. I wanted to do the stay at home mom thing (which is what I’ve been doing for the last 10.5 months) but I can’t do it. There are too many things that I want to be able to do that I can’t do with a baby. Serious kudos to people  (like my own mom) who could do it. Taking care of a baby is a full-time job. And it’s incredibly rewarding but it’s hard when there are other things you’re missing out on. For me, that’s work, that’s the blog and writing. So a nanny it is even though it makes me incredibly nervous. I realize how lucky I am to even have that option. We met someone who seems really bright and really kind and I think Scarlett will love her. She also speaks Russian so Scarlett can learn her dad’s language. We’ve only introduced meat and she’s still nursing a lot. I haven’t figured out what I want to do, but I’m thinking I may consider some vegetables and just see what she’s interested in. I haven’t decided yet.

Ankle: I need surgery. I don’t need to get it re-replaced (THANK GOD), but I do need surgery. After my ankle replacement my fibula was subluxed (slightly dislocated) and so I couldn’t bend my ankle well. Scar tissue grew in really quickly, and bone, and now there’s so much scar tissue that even though my wonderful physio fixed the dislocation, I can’t move my foot. The muscle on one side of my body is wasting away which is horrifying so I need to deal with this ASAP. That’ll be much easier with a nanny as well. Flying out to see a surgeon at the beginning of July, hopefully can do the surgery ASAP after that.

Jordan Peterson: Dad is thriving on the diet. He’s cut out salmon and is mostly eating beef but also some chicken. He told me salmon gives him back pain and makes his voice a bit shaky. Even after all the food weirdness, I’ve been through I had a hard time believing him. But I don’t eat it, and chicken makes me dizzy, so who the hell am I to judge? He has no depression, no anxiety, and no doom in the mornings. If you follow him on Twitter you might notice he’s not as volatile. Last week my mom texted me and said “Jordan woke up with James Brown’s “I Feel Good” in his head. If that isn’t a fantastic sign I don’t know what is. I”m giong to get him to drop the chicken and I think his mood will improve even more. This all meat diet is the bomb.

Mikhaila Peterson: I’ve been doing it for six months now and I swear it just gets better. I have no cravings for other foods, my brain is the fastest it’s ever been, I don’t even mind the sleep deprivation that comes with a baby (she wakes up at night still), I’m energized, happy in the morning, happy all day, and raring to go. The only thing stopping me is my ankle and that should get fixed hopefully soon. I’m getting my micronutrients tested and cholesterol this month. Comment below if you’re interested in certain markers and I’ll add them to the list. This is purely for people’s curiousity, I’m not concerned in the least, I feel great. I’m going to start doing consults (so keep an eye on the blog). Switch it to a pay per consult instead of Patreon. People who have been speaking with me feel better fast enough that we don’t have to keep talking which is amazing. My face is also thinner on this diet (even just eliminating salad). I don’t have as much puffiness in my cheeks. It’s lovely. I look so much more attractive. I was looking through pictures of myself in Montreal in 2012 and I look like a different human.

Hangovers: Hey! Good news, I don’t react negatively to alcohol (only bourbon and vodka – nothing else). It turns out that the minor reactions I was getting were to those hangover pills!!! Which work really well but were giving me symptoms. But my response to alcohol has changed. It used to fill me with energy and now it just kind of makes me slower. So that’s a downer but maybe I’m so fast normally that it’s starting to work like it should, it is a depressant after all. WARNING: this diet is NOT good for hangovers. My tolerance is down, not just because of breastfeeding, and the hangovers are killllllerrrr. Be careful. Go slowly with alcohol. Stick to bourbon and vodka (they have nothing else added – the colour from bourbon is from the cask).

I’ll be updating the blog much more frequently when the nanny starts, and I may even start a YouTube channel! I’m also writing a book (18 000 words in so far!) Exciting times. Doing great. Thanks for the support.

244 thoughts on “6 Month Carnivore Update

1. Ryan says:

Hey Mikhaila,

I started carnivore on June 18th for my RA after spending the prior year doing low carb/keto. Other than digestive issues, I felt great the first couple of weeks and inflammation reduced pretty much completely, but on week 3 i seemed to regress. I suspect maybe it was a colloidal mineral supplement i had introduced but I’m really not sure? Ingredients were citric acid, fulvic acid, potassium sorbate and potassium benzoate. Some other variables I can think of were that I had started working out, and had introduced some grain fed meat on week 2. It sucks to not know why I improved so quickly then stopped and went backwards. Anyway its been just about 4 weeks since things took a turn negatively, (the week of July 4th). I was just wondering, do you find that this diet increases your sensitivity to things you weren’t as sensitive to? Also how long after you introduce something that triggers your symptoms before things get back to normal? I’m worried because by now I feel I should be feeling good again. Thanks!

• James says:

I’m much less sensitive to many things than Mikhaila, and Sodium Benzoate would put me in bed for a week with a terrible headache. You may have sensitized yourself to chemicals by getting off all of your other triggers.

Eating this way will probably mean getting rid of chemicals in your diet – including all of the preservatives, both in preserved meats and other processed foods/supplements. If you want to take a mineral supplement, I’ve been on Total-Mins Iron Free from Country life for years and never had a problem.

• Yes the diet increased my sensitivity to anything I messed up with. Are you just eating beef? I would try that. Make sure it’s beef, salt and water and see what happens. I don’t really think you should be regressing so it might be the mineral supplement. I’ve never had an issue with grain fed meat but I do react to chicken or anything that isn’t beef. It takes about 3 weeks to recover from a wrong introduction for me

• Ryan says:

I decided to do a couple days of water fasting for an immune system reset then I’m stripping things down to just beef, salt, and water to see if that gets me back on track. That’s what I’ve basically been doing the past few weeks although I’ll admit I only just gave up coffee a couple of days ago. I was fine with coffee at the beginning but perhaps I’ve developed a sensitivity to even that. I guess time will tell. Thanks for all the info you share! It gives me hope to hear your success!

2. Ryan says:

Thanks! Yeah I think you are right about the chemical sensitivity. Now I’m just doing beef, salt, and water and waiting to see if my immune system will back off.

3. mike boyce says:

I’m following paleo and intermittent fasting, and it has made a lot of difference to my weight and general disposition. I did spend a short time – about a week – as a pure carnivore, and I admit I enjoyed it. I felt great. I feel good with paleo/fasting, too, but I do notice some periodic feelings of weakness and dizziness. I’m intrigued by your remark about chicken making you feel dizzy, and wonder if it is a contributor. I’ve noticed a tingling effect, not unlike niacin flush. I have also found that as far as alcohol is concerned, vodka, whisky and gin work for me. You mention vodka here, as well. I’m curious about whether you differentiate on the basis of grain-based vs potato-based? And as for meat, do you worry about whether the product is free of hormones, etc.? Thanks!

• Have you checked your blood pressure? Mine got really low in the first week. I was using losalt which I think was the problem, switched to sea salt and added a couple of pinches to my water for the last couple of days and it’s back up to normal as long as I keep up with the salt.

• michaelboyce says:

Thank you for your reply! I tend towards low blood pressure, so this is a good observation. I avoid sea salt because, apparently, there is a lot of plastic in it. I do take Himalayan salt, however. I’ll up the intake and add it to my water and see if it makes any difference. I also suspect blood sugar is an issue. Not sure where I need to adjust for that. Cheers!

• Kenn Macd says:

If you are only eating meat, then your liver will produce all the glicose (sugar) you need through a process called gluconeogenesis. Blood sugar will not be an issue

• mike boyce says:

Thank you for your reply. It is a bit of a mystery, but I’m trying to work it out. I haven’t been only eating meat. I’ve also been eating some greens, nuts, berries and few different vegetables. Basically, Keto with intermittent fasting. But now I’m going to go meat only to see if it makes any difference.

4. Zach says:

Glad I found this blog. Caught word of carnivore from Shawn Baker then watched the JRE podcast with your dad and was interested. My only reasons were major indigestion issues, very sensitive stomach to anything I was eating (same reaction to hot wings as a basic salad and vinaigrette > absolute system shutdown the next day). Am on the 2nd month of carnivore and love it. We have two beefs killed each year from our farm so i know what i am eating. Like to add in salmon and pork from time to time but seem to not get that energy kick/good feel when eating less fatty cuts. Have stayed away from chicken and just don’t have any desire to add it in. Being as this diet is so easy and enjoyable, I plan to keep it going for the foreseeable future.
    I definitely would recommend to anybody but also highly recommend doing your own research. There are assumed risks with it (for the time being) and a person should be fully aware before jumping in. All in all, I love it and it has literally changed my life.