Carnivore Diet, New Thoughts – April 2018

Here are my new thoughts about the carnivore diet since Dad’s improvement

1. If you are quite sick (by quite sick I mean you have an autoimmune disorder or autoimmune symptoms, or mental health issues) – going straight carnivore might save you a lot of pain and suffering. I went extremely low carb and basically fixed my issues and dad’s, and my husbands, but basically, everything we reintroduced made us incredibly sick, and the last 3 years have been hard. Not as hard as being really ill, but quite emotional, and quite frustrating. I never lost hope that food was the answer (and it is), but it was difficult. If you’re really ill, you might want to start with: meat and water and salt for at least 30 days. Then see how you feel, and decide what to do next. You need to get healthy before you can start listening to your body and learning what you need. I really believe all meat can do that the quickest. 30 days isn’t much if a time commitment to solve something seemingly unsolvable.

Obviously, there are no scientific studies on an all meat diet, not really anyway. You’re not going to be able to go to a doctor and have them tell you it’s a good idea. They’ll probably tell you you’ll die. Who knows. Everyone will judge you. Everyone judges you when you stop eating gluten or dairy, try not eating vegetables and see what kind of judgment you get.

But it’s only a month, and man is it effective. Then you can reintroduce different plants (I’d probably start with berries and greens I guess), wait a couple of days and see how you feel. But I think this is the fastest way to stop suffering. You can do step by step elimination – gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, etc. But honestly, fuck being sick. Get rid of it fast. Who cares about the foods you like.

2. If your only symptom is weight gain or problems gaining weight, I also think the easiest thing to do is to go carnivore and see how you feel. But this seems to be less of a complicated issue than mental health and autoimmune problems. Going low carb should help you lose or gain weight anyway.

3. I’ve been worried about suggesting an all meat diet to people (for obvious reasons). All I can tell you for sure is: I feel great, Dad is getting better, moms arthritis is gone, and it seems to be extremely effective for basically any health problem. Check out meatheals.com to see a ton of testimonies. There are no studies to back this up, so going the science route isn’t going to help. Maybe in the future, there will be. I believe there’s a company in Hungary testing out the meat diet to treat autoimmune disease so hopefully those studies will be available asap. I’m not worried about cholesterol. I was worried about dying from the multiple autoimmune disorders I had. I was worried about suicide from the depression that runs in my family. I was worried about my mom eventually needing her knees replaced. I was worried about my skin basically falling off my face. Idgaf about cholesterol, and I don’t think there’s enough evidence anywhere to claim any health problems related to eating meat. (Feel absolutely free to comment below with links to articles that show what your concerns are.) Being sick is horrible. Being alive is amazing. Not being exhausted all the time, not trying to cover up acne, not being miserable, bloated, overweight, arthritic, angry, and hopeless is awesome. Not waking up and laying in bed waiting for the doom to envelope you is unlike anything I’ve experienced before. You can try it out and go back if you want, but if you’re suffering, what is there to lose?

4. For those of you who have had only moderate success with removing things from your diet, I see absolutely no downside (except socially) to eating meat for a month.

5. All this being said, I do believe you can solve most (and some people may be able to solve all) of your food problems going low carb. I’m going to write a post roughly outline what I believe are the worst foods to the least damaging foods. Cutting out the top ones will improve you. I’m just starting to believe that carnivore might be best for really sick people.

Thanks for the support. It’s so nice to hear from people who have managed to fix their anxiety. Going the food route is a hard road, and you get a lot of flack for it. So good for you guys. Keep it up. And if it’s not working, try carnivore. Good luck to everyone.

Also, I will post more testimonies, if yours isn’t up, it will be.

More soon!

94 thoughts on “Carnivore Diet, New Thoughts – April 2018

1. gordon redwood says:

Suffering is hard, changing is hard. I decided that I had suffered enough and would do whatever it takes to ease it, no matter what it would be. You have to ask yourself, what do I believe and why do I believe it. Then really explore the question. After months of experimentation and reading, I came to the conclusion that there is so much propaganda surrounding this issue you have no choice but to finally ask yourself,how did we survive as a species. When your most basic bodily functions don’t work, how did we get here? When I started changing things and got increasingly better results, that proved I was on the right track. The journey continues. Fasting? All meat? Why not? Results are all that matters. My health is better than it has ever been. I eat no grain, no sugar, no booze, no fruit, very small amounts of vegetables and the rest is meat. If this offends your ideology, that is your problem. At a very basic level, its about what you believe. Is this life worth living? Can I make it better? Who am I? What if I try everything and it fails? What if it succeeds? If the answers to these questions strengthen you”re resolve, then you’re going ahead. I’m 57 years old and I feel fantastic. Now what? That’s a question I’m working on. When I heard mikhailas story, I was touched by how open she is talking about very personal things. I’m very happy for you and your family. Be well. Life is a gift.

• I feel like crying. I’m wondering if this carnivore thing could be an answer to prayer. I have suffered from horrible debilitating health issues since I was a child. my dad had them, also, and my mom. but theirs were more tolerable. My sis and I both have auto-immune issues and are debilitated and in bed on most days and we’re only in our 30s. her 2 kids have bad anxiety and adhd also. I wonder if this could actually help us? I’m so tired of my entire family being so sick and tired and all of the suffering. I want to try this. why not? 30 days? I can do this. is there a website that i can go to to see how much fat and meet and salt I need? I don’t know what this is so scary. I just want to be well. I want my family well.

• Chris says:

It’s not that complicated, just cut out any non-veggie carbs. What you’re left with is meat and veggies. Another thing that has been known to have healing properties is fasting. Eating 2 big meals is better than having multiple meals. There are studies that suggest autophagy (your body’s breaking down of useless particles) is enhanced when within a fasted state.

If you are interested in what I said, the diet is called Keto (high fat, moderate protein, low to no carb). The fasting principle is called Intermittent Fasting. Take care.

• Give it a go. Be prepared for about 3 weeks of transition symptoms (digestive, etc.) Check out zerocarbzen.com. I’d suggest spoiling yourself and eating a lot of ribeye (it has enough fat). Ribs are fatty too. And if you get tired on the diet, eat more. A lot of people don’t eat enough when they first start out.

2. Tom R. says:

Really well said – thank you for that. I feel quite the same as you. I’m 65, been a total carnivore for 5 months, and I’ve resolved several health issues that have been with me for decades. We can sling ‘studies’ and ‘meta-analyses’ back and forth until we’re 90. But if you really want to know for your self, get off the intellectual fence, and do an actual experiment. The rest is just academic head-spinning.

And congratulations to both Mikhaila and her dad for being open and vulnerable enough to risk all the inevitable negative feedback.

• Chris says:

I’m 22 and interested in doing this diet to prevent any disease that may come my way. Have you done any blood tests after being on this diet for a while? How did they come out?

Thanks!

• I’m doing blood work in June and I will update everyone then. I’m assuming everything will be normal except my cholesterol, but I strongly believe being healthy and having a high cholesterol isn’t a bad thing. We’ll see soon

• Nadezhda Dimitrova says:

Are you not worried about the cholesterol at all? I have recently scored positive in the rheumatoid factor blood test and I am strongly considering going on the diet but I am scared if it will not just kill me in another way 😀

3. Hey so I’ve done Keto and all meat and green diets before and had real issues with low energy and muscle weakness. Pretty much Keto flue symptoms. I tried supplementing with magnesium, potassium, calcium, and sodium but it didn’t seem to make much of a difference. I also started getting nauseous at the thought and smell of meat after like a week when doing all meats and greens. I want to try all meat but I’m afraid of running into the same problems. Am I just mentally weak or is this something other people have dealt with and if so is there anything you did that helped you overcome these issues?

• gordon redwood says:

It’s a process from what I can tell. I don’t know how long it would take if you are healthy to start with. It took me about a year to get to where I am now. I have had episodes of low energy, but salt turns that around quickly. I was slow recovering for quite awhile, but fine now. I’m surprised anyone can follow a strict diet, with the amount of pressure that is applied at every turn. Keep trying, watch your results, feel good about improvements. Don’t get down on yourself, there is always lots of people ready to do that for you.

• Sariade Gawain says:

I would look into Nora Gedgauda’s material. She written about supplements and strategies for making the transition. Primal Body, Primal Mind is a good start. If you’re older (say 40-ish and up) it does take longer to switch your metabolism over than a 20-year-old. You might want to start by removing gluten, then dairy, then sugar, then gradually lowering your carb allowance to keto levels. That’s how I worked into it, and the transition was fairly smooth. You may not need to go to that extreme either. Most folks seem to do well at the 70 gms per day of carbs as opposed to hard-core 20 or lower. Also remember it’s ***not the meat*** that provides energy, it’s the fat. A lot of folks up their meat too much and overdo the protein content. Fatty meat is what you’re after. Chuck steak, oxtails, bacon, beef shanks, pork belly etc. You may need ox bile or some other supplement that will support your liver/gall bladder while it adjusts to making higher levels of enzymes to metabolize fat. It took me about a year to make friends with my gall bladder after decades of low-fat eating. Remember to stay away from vegetable oils too. They are terrible for you. Lard, butter, and tallow provide the lipids the body needs for creating strong, flexible cellular walls, the bricks of your structure.

• Tom R. says:

Excellent and informative note. I went to carnivore via keto, and also needed some time for my gallbladder to handle the fat. I’m better off with carnivore (I’m 65), mostly beef, than with keto, but I second the recommendation to work up to it and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Way too much noise out in the blogosphere – you could wring hands and ‘research’ forever. Give it a fair try and don’t confound with other foods, and see what works.

• steven v says:

Can you talk more about salt intake. Why does salt help your energy? My arthritis and inflammation are doing great on ZC diet but I still get deep episodes of “wizard of Oz” sleep during the day which lasts about 20-50 minutes. Sometimes my energy improves after the sleep, sometimes it doesn’t.

• Chris says:

Carbs cause the body to retain water and salt, less carbs = less salt retained. That is why you should supplement salt. Take care Steven.

• Are you sure you’re eating enough? Fat especially? People sometimes do this diet and eat 1.5-2 pounds of meat a day, and as a man you’re going to need more than that. Most of the people I’ve spoken with who experience fatigue aren’t eating enough. Also beware of bacon and cured meat – it generally added sugar that can give you a crash.

4. JoelG says:

We’re all biochemically unique (with some clumping around ethnic populations), so you must listen to your body more than any doctor. I had actually read about all-meat diets before, so I’m sympathetic to the idea. I’ve only read a couple of articles on this site, so I’m not sure if it’s been covered yet, but do you concern yourself with meat quality? There is ENORMOUS difference between factory-farm beef and 100% grass-fed beef….it’s like they’re different animals. Same for poultry, maybe more.

5. lenny says:

It would seem then that your father is the version of Nietzsche that overcame their stomach problems hehe:

“Returning for a late luncheon at the Hôtel Alpenrose, Nietzsche, who detested promiscuity, avoided the midday crush of the table d’hôte in the large dining-room and ate a more or less ‘private’ lunch, usually consisting of a beefsteak and an ‘unbelievable’ quantity of fruit, which was, the hotel manager was persuaded, the chief cause of his frequent stomach upsets. ” –Conversations with Nietzsche, p.170

6. John Smith says:

@Mikhaila

I’ve been eating 4-8 eggs + 1-2lbs of ground beef per day with respites of salmon once a week. I cook it all with grass-fed butter and throw on himalayan pink rock salt.

However, I’ve been having a lot of muscle cramps when working out and when sleeping I sometimes wake up to visceral pain that goes away after 3 minutes of torture.

Do you supplement for electrolytes or simply eat more meat if you cramp? I’ve cut down on water to only be 1.5 liters to retain more minerals. Thanks for any advice!

• I have a terrible response to eggs. I would assume it’s that. I don’t supplement electrolytes, just a lot of salt. Definitely don’t cut down on water! Try seeing if you feel better with more meat and no eggs.

• Chris says:

Cramps = dehydrated. Carbs cause you to store water and salt. No carbs = no storage. Supplement electrolytes.

7. I am not positive the place you are getting your information, but good
    topic. I needs to spend a while studying more or working out
    more. Thank you for great info I was on the lookout
    for this info for my mission.

8. Rishi says:

I suffer from IBS and few health issues. I doubt being vegetarian is the worst thing you can do, because at least 500 million Indians are vegetarians. It is common for non-vegeration Indians to only eat meat once a week. It is more balanced diet compared to western diet. The japanese and chinese eat rice. Most asian countries eat grains. Indians eat roti/chapati for carbs which I think is healthier than bread. I suspect it is simply the way the asian food is cooked with low fat and high herbs and spices. The Indian/asian diet has lentils and lots of vegetables too. I must stress though that the Indian food in restaurant food is quite high in calories and different compared to Indian homecooked meal. It might as well be genetic factor that allows asians to eat starchy carbs. However, it has been proven asians do lack ability to process lactose. My point being, it may not be vegetatrian diet necessarily but the way westerners cook or consume vegetarian diet.

Having said that, as an Indian living in the west, going on a low carb diet significantly helped to lose weight and make my IBS managable. Cutting out soda/carbonated sugary drinks is a must. I only ate boiled chicken or grilled fish with little bit of sweet potaoes (as i needed some for gym workout) and some greens. For IBS or gut health, I highly recommend taking probiotics in capsule form and prebiotics/probiotics like kimchi, sauerkrat, yakult, miso, etc. Fixing the good vs bad bacteria imbalance in my gut has been one of the best things I have done for my health and I recommend it to everyone.

By the way, it was great pleasure meeting your dad during the book signing in Sydney, Australia.

Kind regards,
    Rishi

9. Joel Gehman says:

I have no auto-immune issues (that I know of), and no food allergies (that I know of), but I do believe that almost everyone is allergic to a wide variety of modern food, just at a level below what is noticeable. This causes inflammation, which seems more and more to be the cause of every modern disease. My issues were being obese for the last 20 years and having significant trouble sleeping for the last two years. I had actually heard of the carnivore diet before and was not aghast on the topic, so reading your experience prompted me to try it out for myself. I had immediate positive results in that my trouble sleeping cleared up WITHIN ONE DAY, and my skin became noticeably more supple within a couple of days. I’ve also quickly lost the latest bit of weight I’d gained which had been making me feel very uncomfortable (as opposed to the excess weight I’ve been carrying for 20 years that I’m largely used to). I have hopes that I’ll begin losing the 20 years worth of weight quickly also, although I’m aware that the longer you’ve carried it the harder it is to shed. We’ll see.

I expect that cutting out dairy had the most immediate effect, followed by gluten. (I have been limiting grains for a long time, just not religiously.) I’ve replaced dairy in my coffee with cacao butter, which really works, and eliminated yoghurt and cheese.

Currently my version of the carnivore diet is all meat (although I’ve always avoided pork and shellfish) plus sauerkraut. I’ve always felt better on meat than on anything else, but I find that pure meat doesn’t satisfy my appetite. Sauerkraut helps my satiety.

I’m up in the air on eggs…I’ve always felt good on eggs, no indication that I’m allergic at all. At the same time, it’s one of the primary allergens that people have, so I’m undecided if I’ll include them. I need to get that food allergy test done.

10. Tiffany says:

What about organ meats? You say you eat a lot of ribeye (which I totally understand, as it’s amazing), but do you include organ meats in your diet at all? I personally find that beef heart and liver have helped a lot with my fatigue and anxiety attacks, and I eat about 12 oz of liver and 20 oz of beef heart per week (I make my own organ sausage and eat it for breakfast). However, I’m wondering if less would be needed on a zero carb diet, assuming some/all of my anxiety and fatigue is coming from carbs. Any thoughts?

• I don’t eat any, I haven’t found the need to? I feel fine as is and I prefer the taste of ribeye. I really like the fat, so I’m loathe to eat the organ meats 🙂

11. Hunter says:

Do you get all your fat from the steak? I see that your father also eats low fat meats along with beef, so I was just wondering if I should include olive oil. Thanks!

12. Anna says:

Mikhaila Peterson, if you read this, please respond. I watched the interview in which you talked of your sicknesses and diet etc; I’m impressed, and wish you and all your family the best. I got fixated sort of on the phrase “autoimmune” because my husband has sclerosis multiplex, which is also autoimmune disease. Do you think that diet can fix him too? In general, everywhere you go, you hear it is an untractqable disease; and ofcourse the interferons don’t really help. Sorry for my English btw, I am not a native. Right now he decided to drastically reduce carbs, cause he is addicted to sugar… So he is overwheight, has tendency to naps, like he switches off. And I didn’t believe he just collapses on the bed, I was sure he went to bed to late (which might partially still be true). Have you heard of any cases of SM being kinda “cured” by diet? I can’t really go through all the testimonials, it’s a lot. Please help, if you can, and have some time, cause with a little baby I’m sure it’s rather difficult to have time for oneself. Anna

13. Anna says:

It’s so good reading all these stories. I have been struggling with my health for years. It started off with mental health issues like severe mood swings, aggression, exhaustion, confusion, depression. In the last few years I developed problems with my gut, which the doctor reckoned is IBS. Recently my partner came across Mikhaila and her meat diet. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks now and am pain free for the whole 2 weeks! Such a incredible feeling after feeling pain in my guts or being nauseous continuously for the last few years. I even think I feel a bit more energetic. The judgement is sometimes quite hard to deal with, but because of my good results so far I just leave everyone be. The ones that judge me never had any debilitating problems, so let them judge, for they don’t know any better. A very few are actually supportive (they do exist :), those are the ones I cherish. Thanks Mikhaila for sharing your story! I think a lot of people in the future will need this information!

14. Thomas Barton says:

Mikhaila – do you generally eat fatty meats or do you try to go lean? Any idea what percentage of your calories are coming from fats and whether you are in a state of ketosis on your diet?

15. Nick S says:

Hey there, ^^

After listening to Joe Rogan’s Podcast with Jordan Peterson, I got very curious and decided to read this blog. I can’t believe all the positive feedback this has gotten.(As in how effective this diet really is) I want to give it a try but I’m curious what a typical day looks like. For example: What does your average day look like? Do you eat mulitple times a day like you would with a regular diet. Or do you only eat once a day etc. I’ve been reading the comments on this blog to find more information on this but I can’t seem to find an answer.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

16. Tom Ronayne says:

I’ve done this religiously for 7 months now. Based on my experience, but also TONS of reading more experienced people (Shawn Baker, Charles Washington, Joe/Charlene Andersen, Kelly Hogan, and MANY other long term carnivores), this is what I’d offer: just eat until you’re not hungry. If you’re not sure, eat more. It will stave off cravings at first, and those will disappear after a few weeks. Most people don’t eat enough. You just WON’T get fat on a carnivorous diet. And as far as frequency: eat a big, filling meal (beef is best, ideally just beef and water, but some do fine with eggs and pork, etc., also), then eat again when you’re hungry. Don’t ‘count’ or ‘time’ anything. I usually eat twice, around lunchtime and dinner time, but I could probably go to OMAD (one meal a day) easily. I’ve just found that my body’s hunger signals have become more natural and I simply follow them.

I’ve been able to drop ALL my lifetime allergy meds, migraine meds, I need less sleep, have much more energy, more stamina than ever, and my lifts at the gym are better than they’ve been in decades, plus many more bennies. I’m 65, and it’s been life changing. But that’s just my story, you have to decide for yourself and do the ‘N=1’ experiment. The first couple weeks are often challenging because you may still crave things, and your body has to ‘fat-adapt’ (‘keto-adapt’), which may make you cranky and tired for a bit. Also, most people have loose bowels at first as they adjust to digesting more fat and their gut biome changes its profile. But 30 days will tell you what you want to know. I’m willing to bet what on you’ll see if you stick to it.

17. I’m couple of weeks in. It’s all good and I feel like cravings apear if I eat something less fat that beef. I gahd couple of days of liquid bowel movement. It was gone within 3-4 days. But now I’m almost not having movement almost at all. I don’t feel worse but I wonder if it should be so or I need to step on salt or more fatty meats (that’s what I was reading)? About the salt how much on weight and in what way do you take it? I feel like salting already cooked piece of meat won’t help much or will it?

18. I am the first one on my family to have a diagnosed autoimmune disease; I have juvenile RA and lupus. I was diagnosed when I was 19 but my symptoms started up when I was 11. My mom took me to a homeopathic doctor who put me on an only meat and dairy diet for about 4 months and all my symptoms went away for about 3 years when the swollen joins came back. I never really thought of that until I heard your dad talk about your diet and read your blog, and now it makes sense why I felt better back then. I am on week two of the carnivore diet now, I have lost 4 pounds and my right knee looks normal (It was the size of a big grapefruit) the only side effect I have experienced so far is I am sleeping more, I am not tired but as soon as I sit or lie down I am out. Thanks for sharing your experience, I am glad this is working for you and I hope it works for me too.