April 19 2018 – Jordan Peterson’s Carnivore Diet and Update

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay!

Update:

Andrey and I and Scarlett moved back into his old condo! We moved out in a haze of pregnancy nesting hormones when I decided I could NOT survive in a 535 square foot condo with a baby. I basically ran around like a chicken with its head cut off for 10 months. Hopefully next time I will be much more relaxed as a meat eater. Only time will tell.

But now that sane-not-pregnant Mikhaila is back, I missed the condo. So we’re back. Plus it’s easy to clean, and babies are pretty compact anyway. Although we do have to figure out how to put a crib and a queen bed in the same room… And cribs are kind of huge. Basically a twin bed. But we have a pool! So Scarlett can swim I can attempt to get in shape too! I did 2 minutes of treading water last night and almost drowned. I have no core or back strength. Or arms or legs. So that’s better change unless I want to be left a noodle after the next pregnancy.

Jordan’s Zero-Carb Update:

Anyway, like I said last week, Dad started the carnivore diet. I told him I thought it could take up to month for the doom-y mornings to get better. I don’t say “doom-y” lightly. I mean waking up and having all your worries flood in plus more, feeling overwhelmed, wanting to hide your head under the covers and go back to sleep. This doesn’t even describe it well enough. doom-y like there’s something deeply wrong and there’s no way to fix it.

For those of you who don’t know, Dad and I had extremely severe depression/anxiety. We managed to get most of it under control with the extremely strict original diet. No cheating. AT ALL. I would say it worked better for me than for dad mood-wise. It fixed his autoimmune symptoms, he lost 50 pounds, got rid of his snoring and GERD, so it helped, but it wasn’t good enough to completely remove the anxiety-ridden mornings. And anxiety-ridden is putting it mildly. He was experiencing a doom-y feeling in the mornings that would slowly fade by the evenings. No way to live really.)

Anywa,y he went from eating meat and greens to only eating meat and felt better in TWO days. TWO. DAYS.

What’s only eating meat mean? It means chicken, beef, salt, and water or sparkling water. That’s it. I stick to beef because I think it makes me feel better, but he’s doing chicken too.

Now he’s not all the way better. He’s waking up doom free, at about a 7/10 according to him. But that’s an incredible improvement. Doom is not a nice feeling to wake up to. And it’s only been eleven days. He saw improved in 2. Even I’m surprised at how fast it was. I’m assuming it was this quick because he had already cut 99% of the problem foods.

He’s shocked. He keeps saying, “Can that REALLY have been carbs? Like.. REALLY?” And yep folks, somehow it’s the carbs. So that’s fantastic news. I’m over the moon. He did improve mentally with the old diet. He went off meds, and stopped napping, and is much clearer in his thinking. But the anxiety didn’t go away. It’s been so stressful watching him improve physically but not all the way mentally for the last 3 years. Plus then he shot to fame and there’s been extra stress so it’s been hard to tell what’s life and what’s diet. Turns out the anxiety was diet! So that’s great.

Here’s a video. Couldn’t upload it here, too big.

I was over there Tuesday and he was smiling, playing with the baby, and happier than I’ve seen him in years. Thank GOD. I’ve been torturing him with my diet for almost 3 years and it’s helped but that stupid horrible anxiety was so hard to get rid of. And it seems to be fading out extremely quickly! Success. FUCK YOU WORLD – WE WON.

Anyway. I’m pretty stoked.

73 thoughts on “April 19 2018 – Jordan Peterson’s Carnivore Diet and Update

• I know! It is crazy. I totally get how there are people commenting telling me I’m nuts. I probably would have had the same response before I went through all this food hell… I’d be nicer though.

• Hi Mikahila,

I have Ank Spond. It has fused the better part of my back and neck. I take Enbrel weekly to keep it from destroying me. I am physically active – I run and or hike in the mountains about three to four days a week. I eat reasonably well and have noticed that bread and pasta are murder on me. They kill my stomach, make my AS flare and cause me to experience fatigue which I carry usually until evening. It sucks.

I am thinking I am going to try this all meat diet to see how it goes. Would be great to get OFF the Enbrel.

I am a hunter too so it’s a great excuse to do more of it. 🙂

If you want to contact me to see how it goes please do. I’m going to give it a couple of days before I start and chat with my wife to get her on board.

Thanks for putting up your blog.

Scott

1. John R Thompson says:

The battle lines in this cultural war are being hewn into thr landscape of human action. The illogical anti-science zealots among have framed the debate for far too long. The wages of sin are death. Perpetrating a lie is a sin. Those who promote illogical anti-science are trespassing against us all, and attempting to damn our children for generations. We must not fail to recognize Cain in our time. We must not fail to see his gifts are unworthy. Fiction masquerading as fact must not be tolerated. Lies, wherever they are found, must be challenged, and the truth sought earnestly and honestly.

The cult of monocropping poisons our herds in factory feedlots and sickens us with heart disease causing bread. The cult of monocropping makes the food and water toxic with thier chemicals. The cult of monocropping moves over the land like a wraith and leaves it barren landscape. The cult of monocropping uses advertising and the ballot box to further dogmatic, illogical, and unproven theories. Just as the cult of monocropping lays waste to the landscape for the sake of profits, so too does this cult lay waste to humanity.

The murderous cult of monocropping must be seen for what it really is. We must show the light on the death and devastation caused by the leafeaters. We must not be blind to this reality anymore. We must not allow these charlatans to lay claim the moral high ground. They are anti-reason, anti-science, anti-nature, and anti-human flourishing.

Save the Earth. Save humanity. End the cult of monocropping. Become the apex predator your genetic heritage demands.

2. Mana says:

Hi Mikhaila, thanks for your great insight. Do you have any info on all meat diet and cancer? My son just beed diagnosed and I am looking for any chance to help him out. He is 18 years old. Would appreciate very much. Keep the good work!

3. MaryG says:

A total meat diet is environmentally unfriendly because the carbon footprint of cattle in particular is highly polluting. Eat veggies to save the planet.

• Ron says:

MaryG: Eat veggies to save the planet is utter nonsense! You can’t naively believe what the American (or even Canadian) government says. The whole “Carbon is bad” scheme is about wealth redistribution, it has nothing to do with global warming. If you wish to argue that cows eat plants and generate methane, the counter argument is that when people eat plants they generate methane too. It is a product of aerobic reactors everywhere and be it in a cow or human, the exhaust is into the atmosphere. Whether they are plants for people or plants for livestock, they take up land that might otherwise suck up carbon into trees. We just did grocery shopping and what we purchased was shipped here from all over the world, talk about a carbon footprint! We can get beef, year round, from Meaford. We can get vegetables from the Holland Marsh, but only during Canada’s summer. Meaford is less than 100 miles from Toronto, twice the distance to Holland Marsh. Neither place can produce enough food to feed all of Toronto. So, just eating causes a huge carbon footprint. The good news is that carbon dioxide is not a pollutant. It is a gas that plants require.

4. steven v says:

Mikhaila,

You might find this video interesting. Google “hydrotone cross training video”, it’s about 8 min long. I have this set and it is a great way to get in shape in the pool, especially if you have inflammation problems. The company stopped making the product but I am always seeing this product being sold on Ebay. The boots go for about $170 and the bells for about $90. It is expensive but they do last a very long time. A fellow exerciser said his set lasted over 20yrs for him. There are many different methods to use with this system, not just that video.

5. Ricardo says:

Starting my day with tears of happiness. I’m so happy for your father and your family. I am a 49 year old male. Your father’s videos are slowly bringing back from a Chaos, brought about by a hard life, my daughter’s 5 year old battle with Leukemia, My 8 year old son’s diabetes diagnosis and a divorce, due to my inability to cope with stress and pain. I also found out my wife had a sexual affair in 2015, twice with the same man. Your father is a beacon of hope for those of us who have no access to psychological support. I live in Helsinki Finland. Where psychiatric support is only offered when you’ve reached a psychotic state and you’re found running shirtless on the road, without a shirt, in freezing temperatures. I have been prescribed 6 different types of anti depressants in the past 10 years and none of them help. I wake up every morning in dread and often crying.
    I went on an almost 100% Keto diet about 3 months ago. I went from 80 to 70 kilos and sleep better. The cravings for sugar are gone and I feel more energetic. With this update, I feel I have the courage to try a carnivore diet. Thank you and your father for sharing your experience. Thank you for helping so many of us.
    I extend my utmost respect to you and Dr. Peterson.

6. The “doomy” mornings you describe are exactly what I experience, and it certainly is not way to live and I’m fed up with it. Not only that, but I just deal with debilitating depression, anxiety, and ADD in general. It’s largely diet related for me. I’m still trying to figure out what diet works for me though, and what foods cause issues for me. Also, I was wondering, why exactly did your dad become a psychologist if he has suffered from severe mood issues himself?

• Molly says:

Sorry to butt in here but I have combatted my own miserable mornings with a highly restrictive diet, but also high quality 5-HTP (serotonin pre-cursor, natural supplement) take it 3 times a day, the first dose AS SOON AS YOU WAKE UP at 100mg dose. Also L-theanine and PharmaGABA specifically target anxiety.

• B says:

Hi, thanks for “butting in”! I appreciate the suggestions. I took 5-HTP a few years ago, and didn’t notice any results and it seemed to give me some weird tingling sensation on my skin. I suppose I could try it again and see how it goes. I feel that my issues are not related to serotonin though, they seem to be related to dopamine, as I respond well to medication and supplements that increase dopamine levels. So that could be why I didn’t respond to the 5-HTP. But also, I recently had a realization why I have these “doomy” mornings – I believe it is an adrenal fatigue issue. It makes a lot of sense, because it’s EXTREMELY hard for me to get out of bed (indicating low cortisol levels), and depression in the morning is also typical of adrenal fatigue. I recently began taking an adaptogen supplement which has helped my fatigue & has balanced my mood a lot. I also suspect this is an adrenal issue as I have blood sugar dysregulation, and I have most likely been taxing my adrenals and causing my blood sugar problems to worsen by not eating regularly, not eating breakfast and having caffeine on an empty stomach. I also used to see a chinese medicine doctor who also diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue and gave me supplements which worked great for me. So I’ve decided I am going to be diligent with eating breakfast and eating regularly and reducing my caffeine intake and see if this helps with my “doomy” mornings. Sorry this ended up being so long! What kind of diet do you follow Molly?

• B says:

I forgot to mention that I have also tried L-theanine and GABA which didn’t seem to do anything for me. I just looked up pharma gaba which sounds good, so I think I may try it and maybe it would work better for me than the other GABA supplement I took.

7. Scott Nelson says:

Hi Mikhaila,

Your father is one of the most intelligent people I’ve ever heard. 🙂
    His interview with Ben Shapiro made me feel like an imbecile.

Question:
    Is White Albacore Tuna bad on your diet?

Thanks.
    Scott

8. Molly says:

If your Dad still experiences anxiety and/or low mood particularly in the mornings, and found that antidepressants helped him (indication of being undermethylated) he would probably benefit from taking very high quality 5-HTP (serotonin pre-curser, natural supplement) 3 x daily, 100mg each dose. Also L-Theanine and PharmaGABA for anxiety. Look them up, they’re been game changers for my own bleak mornings.