Update April 8 2018 – Jordan Peterson’s Diet – Zero Carb

Hi guys

So Dad’s going on the zero carb diet – that’s the all meat, carnivore diet. With salt and sparkling water.

Why?

He had good results with the previous diets. In the greater scheme of things, I would say excellent results. We managed to keep the extreme depressive episodes away, he’s off medication, he lost 50+ pounds, his autoimmune symptoms went away. All in all, great results.

So why the change? He’s doing it for almost the same reason as I did. His anxiety still isn’t under control. It’s under control enough to not need medication, but he still wakes up in the morning with the dread feeling. I had this before I went zero-carb too. Dread, in the morning, fading off by the evening. A little bit too much volatility. Still not a great way to live, even if it’s not full blown depression. His switch over shouldn’t really be that dramatic considering he’s only eating meat and greens right now. There won’t be any cravings. He told me he woke up this morning and figured he didn’t want to live with the anxiety anymore, so he’d give it a try.

I’ll keep everyone posted, and probably do an update in about a week. Mom’s on it, and her arthritis is gone. Dad mentioned that her skin and her legs look better than they have for 10 years.

93 thoughts on “Update April 8 2018 – Jordan Peterson’s Diet – Zero Carb

1. Jim says:

Awesome! Good luck to him.

I am happy to have found you as I’ve been doing high fat on and off for some time but joint pain (just had partial meniscus removal surger with advanced signs of arthritis (I am 38) last week in my knee) as well as anxiety, depression, fatigue all remained despite exercise 5-6 days/week. I have not however done it in an “elimination.” way. Using this site as a blueprint and ordered a food sensitivity test from everly well. Thank you for this info!

2. Mila Ridout says:

Hello Mikhaila,

so what is exactly dr Peterson is switching to? He already was on meat/greens only ..what is new?

and another questions: do you think would it be ok for someone with high blood pressure.

I don’t have depression and only mild anxiety.
    I’ll appreciate your view on it.

Mila

• Carbohydrate restriction drops high BP fairly reliably (so watch out if on meds).
      The most common cause of “idiopathic” hypertension is high insulin and insulin resistance. Insulin controls the release of sodium by the kidney, causing the body to retain water and sodium when the level is persistently high (e.g. when eating carbs all the time).
      On very low carb diets, excess fluid volume is lost, sodium is lost with it, high BP normalises, and most people need to eat extra salt to prevent headaches and cramping.

• cb says:

Lots of folks on carnivore/zerocarb diet report not even needing to use salt, just meat+water. So unless you’re just talking about a temporary electrolyte re-balancing, I think you’re wrong about the “needing extra salt” thing.

3. Kenn Macdonald says:

That is interesting news Mikhaila! I look forward to reading the results of this change in diet for your dad.
    On a side note, I am reading “Healing developmental trauma” by Heller and LaPierre. One of the affects of Early Trauma (pre-natal, birth, post-natal) is a feeling of dread, anxiety. Being pre-verbal this is difficult to heal with traditional treatment. I am presently undergoing up to 20 sessions with NeurOptimal in an attempt to deal with my own symptoms, which are similar to your fathers, which have been lifelong. The book is helpful to my understanding, hopefully the NeurOptimal assist healing.

• Harrison Koehli says:

Just wanted to chime in here and say that I’ve been doing neuroptimal for the past couple months. Wasn’t expecting much going into it – just hoping my sleep might get a bit better and maybe my thinking would be clearer. But the big surprise for me was that after the first couple weeks my anxiety disappeared. Wasn’t as bad as what Mikhaila described, but it was almost daily – strong anxiety in situations that didn’t call for it, whether for a period of minutes or hours. I would’ve rated those episodes as maybe a 7 or 8 in terms of visceral intensity. Since starting the sessions, I haven’t had any anxiety stronger than a 2 or 3. FWIW.

4. Mike says:

Good News! – Knowledge is power when utilized –

I have been on a Whole Grain Plant-Based Diet for just over 7 months.

– No more pain after working out.

– Sleeping much better.

– Fewer cravings through the day.

– Skin is clear and smooth.

– On course to break a 5-minute mile.

– No mediation of any kind.

– Lost 30 lbs.

My wife had similar results.

5. Mark says:

Will be very interested in his progress on the ZC/carnivore diet.

Have you experimented with any forms of intermittent fasting? If so, what pro or cons did you experience?

6. Erin Reilly says:

I wish him luck, but with his life as it is maybe the anxiety is from personal attacks, etc. and not diet. Do you believe that this diet will eliminate anxiety that is not caused by specific food intake, basically acting as a medication?

7. Bonnie says:

I am a big fan of Dr Peterson. Also well read in the health field. How about a ton of fish and seafood to had to the mix. I am super influenced by Dr Jack Kruse who wholeheartedly supports seafood for brain health, depression etc. Keep
    Posting with updates!

8. Kat says:

Is the anxiety HYPERVIGILENCE? That is my Modus Operandi. I’m learning that’s how I am. It is my awareness of how I coped growing up. It’s my perception, how I behave and react. I am not on anxiety medication. I take a BP med which has given me swollen ankles and feet. I exercise regulary and so BP is good. I am curious whether this eating regime would help me. I’m an active 69 year old woman. I don’t like pills and believe there are other ways to help oneself. My two cents. Cheers

• Kenn Macdonald says:

Hi Kat
      I highly recommend “Healing Developmental Trauma” by Heller & LaPierre. Hypervigilance is a sign of Connection Trauma, most generally caused by pre-natal, birth, and/or post-natal trauma. The book may be very useful for your understanding. Possibly it may be available at your public library. I know it is available here.

9. Mikael says:

I wonder if getting a lot of light during the day, cutting out ALL blue light 3 hours before bed and just expose himself to very little amounts of warm light in the evening would help him. Be VERY strict with light for a week just to try. This + not eating carbs in the evening seem to help a little for me. There might be a lot of pieces in the puzzle that has to be right at the same time. Not saying he hasn’t tried this before… but maybe he hasn’t been strict enough. Just a wild shot.

• kitty uk says:

That is a really good point. Sleeping needs hacking, according to Dave Asprey, the Bulletproof Diet guy. Put blue blocking screens on computer and mobile phone, wear yellow computer glasses at night, and cover up all the little lights around the house and bedroom with black tape to make the bedroom really dark. Dave’s got a short youtube video about how to make your hotel room great to sleep in.

10. Michele nolan says:

Hi, ive been doing the elimination for 9 weeks now and its helped me so much. Im no longer sick all day long. No longer have stomach or gut problems. I feel fantastic. Ive lost 1st 7lb. The only thing is my psoriasis have exploded. I am now completely covered in them like i have never been in my life. How did your fathers react when he was on the diet? did they get worse before they got better? Just trying to work out how to help clear them up. X

11. Julia Clare says:

Has anyone mentioned cannabis for anxiety…high CBD seems to be the choice for anxiety ? Also Omega 3 so your body can make it’s own endocannbinoids better ….good grass fed meat should have omega 3 but when you’ve been depleted over decades your body may need a hand to get back to normal.

12. Pete Dowell says:

How can one claim any morality while taking the lives of sentient beings? The meat industry is the cruelest on earth, this world is hell for billions of animals. I hope he takes supplements at least, for his own well being.

• Philip says:

I truly feel bad for the people who stumble upon ignorant vomit such as your comment.

Would you stop a lion from eating meat? Your dog? If so, you are the cruel one, friend, and it is your moral compass that you need to worry about.
      Those animals, just as we humans, have evolved to eat meat. It has been our primary source of nutrition for well over 2 millions years. We’ve brought most of the world’s megafauna to extinction.

Eliminating animal products means sub-optimal diet and no supplements can hope to be worthy, full replacements. This article, this blog, just as thousands and thousands of other sources serve you as an example. In fact, the labels on those supplements usually say the same thing!

There is no denying that there is a lot of unnecessary cruelty when it comes to the treatment of animals. I agree there is a lot that should be done about it, but.. Who doesn’t? Nobody I know wants animals to suffer. However, merely replacing cruelty toward them with cruelty toward humans is not okay with me, and shouldn’t be okay with you.

You have a moral responsibility for yourself. I fail to see how being an unhealthy, frail, depressed, cachectic weakling can ever be the right thing to strive for, if there exists a way to be the opposite.
      Are you satisfied with your own life on your own diet? Fine, you do you, but, as the author says in the article, plenty of people simply don’t want to live sub-optimal lives and plenty of those people need meat for that. There can be no question about it. It is much, much more complex than “you only need the protein”. That is Mickey Mouse nutrition. No supplements we have today can solve this issue.

Do you want to deny those people health and shame them for wanting it? Wouldn’t you kill an animal if you knew that eating it would make you healthy? Because if you wouldn’t, there is a good chance you are crazy/possessed by something very, very vile.

Keep harming your own body if you want. Console yourself that a cow might live somewhere thanks to your noble sacrifice. Of course, if there weren’t anyone to eat that cow, it would never have lived in the first place. Just as mammoths don’t anymore. Just stay out of the lives of others.

I suspect that people here are mostly interested in trying to improve their lives, not in listening to a misguided, misinformed individual playing moral arbiter. Stop and I promise it will feel better.
      As the person whom this article is about says in his book: people motivated to make things better aren’t usually concerned with changing other people…

• Pete dowell says:

“Would you kill an animal if it made you healthy?” Not only can humans thrive without killing animals, it’s optimal to leave them out of your diet as much as possible. There is no need to kill animals to be healthy. To be of the mindset that you have to take a sentient beings life in order for your own is to be truly possessed by something vile. Eliminating animal products is wise and the right thing to do. Your ad hominem attacks about being weak, frail, depressed etc only highlight your own ignorance and lack of argument. To consume only the flesh of animals is unsustainable and will destroy the planet. That type of diet is immoral and unnecessary.

• Philip says:

Fascinating how much you managed to get wrong in one short paragraph. Just this blog is full of evidence supporting the position I proposed while contradicting yours.

Meat is most complex and nutritious food we have. It is the only food that we can eat without anything else and not only survive, but thrive. Last time I checked, killing animals was the only way to obtain meat. That might be sad, but there’s not much to be done about that fact.

I’ve personally tried all sorts of diets and have used my own body to conduct the experiments for myself. I have never held any opinions for which I later attempted to find supporting evidence. No, I arrive at my conclusions based on the evidence, plenty of which is personal experience.

So please, don’t tell me what is and isn’t good for me, as opinions of someone who hasn’t got the information and experience of the other side is completely worthless.
          Eliminating all animal products is a sure way to deteriorate their health (which can be only partially corrected by supplementation). I wouldn’t call that healthy, when there’s clearly a more optimal route.

Also, it is you who is invoking ad hominem where no such thing occurred. If you read it properly, you’d realize I was being general and wasn’t directing that argument at you at all. The question you quoted was also a hypothetical one (even though relevant in real life) to help assess one’s sanity.
          Seems to me that you’re trying the old trick of projecting your own cognitive deficiencies as my problem, when of course, it is yours.

In the end, I can respect a vegan who doesn’t bullshit, i.e. says that he/she only cares about not harming animals and acknowledges that the health side of the issue cannot be defended by their position (you don’t even need anything sophisticated to show that; no need to look further than at how we’ve evolved – what we’ve always eaten – and our physiology).
          I personally think it very unwise, but hey, those are your choices.

When you start bullshiting, however, without presenting proper evidence (which, of course, you can’t, as it doesn’t exist), there’s really no chance of a reasonable dialogue and it becomes clear that you’re pushing some other (possibly political) agenda. In that case, the ad hominem wouldn’t be out of order at all, just to call you out on your BS!

I have better things to do with my time than trying to civilize random internet ideologues. Hope that your diet works for you and that you’ll reconsider telling people what’s best for them. After all, it must be quite miserable experience, spending so much time just arguing against all this.

• philip says:

Not sure what you’re trying to say. The animals are, as you say, plant based. That’s how they evolved. Plants will be obviously best for them and what they should eat.
          We split from other apes a long time ago and instead became apex predators (with the ability to imperfectly process plants when meat was scarce).

Again, with great effort, supplementation and disposition, humans CAN achieve great accomplishment without eating meat. Such diet and lifestyle will be much better than eating junk food and being inactive, no doubt. Especially young people can get away with it relatively fine. However, the amount of evidence showing that this is not the optimal route is, well, overwhelming.
          There is a reason why no strictly vegan societies survived or even really existed in the first place (we don’t know). Even the more or less vegetarian ones (some parts of Asia mostly) are extremely rare and very recent.

The fact remains that plant based diet is rather unsustainable in the long term for most humans. Some will experience the effects worse than others (just as some can process lactose better than others), but it will never be optimal. Unless you have some very, very rare genetic predisposition that makes it impossible for you to process meat. But talking about outliers doesn’t make much sense. That is why I don’t like the extreme examples such as your Patrick Baboumian. Do you know how much better he could be with meat in his diet? N=1 is quite useless in these debates, unless you’re using your own body, which is of course relevant to you. S. Baker (orthopedic surgeon) is a strict carnivore who is breaking rowing world records in his 50’s, lifts incredible amounts for his age and claims he feels better than he did in his 40’s on diet with plants in it. Yet again, on its own, this wouldn’t tell me much, the fact is, however, that he isn’t alone and I’ve seen so much personal evidence and science documenting and supporting this side of the story that turning my eyes form it would be complete irrational.

I should also mention that not all athletic performance means great health, which is a common mistake people make. Especially in the extreme it is often quite the opposite. Take marathon runners for instance. The sport itself is extremely unecological for the human body and the requirements often leave those athletes with one foot in the grave by the time their career is finished.
          Yes, strength training is a different story, if done completely naturally. I don’t think one can go too far there. Look at the island of Iceland. It has a few thousand citizens, yet with incredibly disproportionately high ratio of strong-men. Meat makes up vast majority of their diet there. That is some good evidence. Certainly better than a few outliers.
          Also, look at the historically carnivorous societies. They’ve never known some of the most deadly diseases, s.a. diabetes, obesity, plenty forms of cancer etc. And they have survived till now. That should tell us something.

I truly don’t want animals to suffer, but I want humans to suffer even less. Sadly, it seems that the latter cannot be minimized without conceeding to some necessary amount of the former. Nevertheless, it is thus our moral duty to do it as humanly and with as little cruelty as possible.The moral aspect is an issuey, there is no way of going around it, but it all boils down to realizing your health, your life, must be paramount. There certainly are values worth sacrificing your health, even life for. I just don’t see how this one could ever be one of them. If an individual chooses it so, that is their choice and I am fine with it. Even though I generally wish people to be as healthy as possible. It is only when ideologically possessed people start playing moral arbiters and attempt to change other people that problems arise.

• Mike says:

Good Afternoon,

I appreciate the response.

Firstly, you completely ignored the World Strongest Man, which makes sense, considering it goes against everything you described.

Secondly, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tomy Brady, Kyrie Irving, and many sports stars embraced a Plant-Based lifestyle. Each has had huge performance increases.

Thirdly, there are now 6% of Americans on a Vegan diet. Within 5 years it is likely to be 15% or more.

Fourth, many of the myths regarding plant-based eating have been destroyed by results. Hypothesis and Theory are one thing. There are now thousands of Olympic and sports athletes with higher performance on a Vegan diet.

Before researching the results of Plant-based. I was 100% in your camp. Vegan’s are weak. Evolution. The usual talking points.

When I lived it and improved my 5-minute mile. I changed my mind.

Here is an upcoming movie about Athletes and plant-based living:

• I’m sure I missed a number of things, none of which were on purpose. I wouldn’t say I “ignored the World’s Strongest Man because it goes against everything I’ve described”. That’s just not right. How do you know that cutting dairy isn’t what improved your health? How do you know it was cutting meat? And obesity and autoimmune disorders are increasing so I wouldn’t say that more people going on a vegan diet means anything really. Definitely doesn’t mean anything healthy considering people are getting sicker… probably due to misinformation about diet choices. Plants made me ill, and from what I’ve read they’re making many other people ill. It only takes a month to figure out if it’ll help you too. No point in being spiky when you can just test it out and prove me wrong…

• Dream Chaser says:

I hope you are serious, or at least sincere. I follow the Ultimate Responsibility doctrine –

I Look into the eyes of my dog and ask:

1. Can I kill you?

2. Can I eat you?

My answer was, No. – My rule “Only eat what I can kill” – I can kill plants and live with myself.

In China, they skin dogs alive and have pigs for pets.

I try to link the body-action to the mind. I can not divorce the death from the act of eating. Unless I wish to relinquish personal responsibility.

Thank you.

• Patrice says:

Utter foolishness. God made man over every type of animals and so for our meat. Even my dog likes meat and I am gathering the wild animals as well who hunt after other animal species and EAT them.

• Healthy living says:

Patrice –
        Let’s imagine you raised a chicken, hand fed it each day. Then, you could claim it was healthy.

While when a McDonald’s burger takes three years to change color, it is no longer meat.

– GMO’s

– Preservatives.

– Antibiotics to keep the animals alive. (61% of all antibiotics in the USA, are given to animals)

– Pigs eating, dead pigs.

– Chickens being born and within 10 seconds minced into meat paste.

I can go on. A lion is eating a real animal. Human’s are eating Frankenmeat!

13. Joel says:

I’ve had great improvement with strict carnivore style over the past five months. Shawn Baker has a lot of information about carnivore style. All the best, I think this way of eating could help a lot of people.

14. Mike says:

Wouldn’t his current lifestyle and rise in status have something to do with his Anxiety? Just wondering, I mean if I was in his position I would be anxious all the time too. His life is booked solid for the next ?? year/years? Everyone wants a piece of him. I don’t know how he does it. Good on him.

• Nick Savino says:

Well said Mike! Jordan is excruciatingly careful with his words and knows doom is around the corner. He is not one to ride the 100ft wave because of the riches and fame it brings, but because no one else is capable of representing the cause like he can. In a way he is willing to martyr himself for his beliefs so that others may at least have the opportunity it’s to hear his side.

So I agree with you it’s definitely his lifestyle and own pressure he puts on himself to get it right. Diet will help him so far, mandatory breaks in his schedule are a must as well. I know it’s what his real fans would want from him.

Mikhaila is on the ball and is researching in order to guide him on his dietary journey. I wish Jordan inner peace and some silence when he needs it.

15. Laurie says:

He needs to watch for adrenal fatigue. We all need greens. If he drops greens from his diet, he will become deficient in essential nutrients. Juice Festiv supplements capsules (veggie and fruit) will help a lot. Vitamin D is critical if he cannot get at least 30 minutes of direct sunlight daily. Niacin is awesome for anxiety / depression as well. Check out Dr. Berg on YouTube. He has a video that covers bodily signs of deficiencies (nails, hair, adult acne, etc..) to avoid falling into horrible health from his schedule. I did grueling work for 6 years abroad under a lot of stress. Got PTSD and drew me out from my RA remission. After 10 yrs of working on myself my body is finally improving. I know your father is so intent on creating a wave across the world with his phenominal life changing effects, but he must take care of himself or he will not reach as many folks as he could. He has that grand baby to spend time with now too 🙂 Y’all keep up the great work just pace yourself. It’s also wonderful about your mom getting her RA under control. I hope to return to remission again with my RA as well.

16. Jim Tassano says:

The Inuit diet involved eating the meat and fat of wild animals, which themselves were eating a wild diet. The Inuit would eat the organ meat too, and much of what they ate was uncooked. Cooking destroys vitamin C and some other nutrients.

When we eat meat and fat, we are eating animals fed an artificial diet, we don’t eat all the organs, and we cook it.

These are important considerations in choosing an exclusive meat/fat diet. It is not the same as our hunter-ancestors would have eaten. When we follow this lifestyle, using store-bought, factory-raised meats, from animals fed Roundup-Ready crops, not eating organs, and cooking the meat and fat, we are likely going to be nutrient deficient, and find ourselves consuming un-natural chemicals.

• Marcio says:

True. But there’s plenty wild fish and shellfish being sold in Canada, Peterson could supplement his diet eating sashimi and raw oysters. Also, there are companies selling grass-fed organ meats, it’s not even that expensive, most of these organs are sold cheap because the lack of demand.

17. Marian says:

Great news about your Dad. I love listening to his talks. I have been eating just meat for over 3 years. No organs. I now know we don’t need greens. I’m well into in my 70s and feel great mental stability and physically fit and healthy. No medications. I hope never to go back to my old addictive carb laden diet. I’m sure he will do very well with this.

18. Dima Kim says:

My spouse says my skin has been extremely nice to touch since I went Zero Carb. She says she would do it cept she’s not good at cooking meat and is not a fan of fatty meats.
    I wish your father to rid of that dread!

19. kitty uk says:

I am a huge fan of Dave Asprey, the Bulletproof Diet guru. He has developed lots of vitamin supplements and recommends others. He recommends, for anxiety, 5 HTP 50 mg from Superior Source. I keep them by my desk for the really horrific stressful times, take one and I can feel the upset melting away in a short time. He says they’re safe to take all through the day. He also has good advice on jet lag which I bet your dad is also dealing with.

• signalfire says:

Be careful with 5-HTP if you’re not familiar with it; it is a serotonin donor and there are serotonin receptors in the small intestine, just past the stomach. When 5-HTP hits those, esp. the first time or two, the body reacts by making you extremely nauseous. They appear to ‘burn out’ after the first few times, though. 50 mg is a large dose and would set off most people. Not a good look to be puking your guts out at work. That said, 5-HTP is great for depression and much safer than Rx anti-depressants.

• kitty uk says:

I’ve taken 5-HTP three or four times in the last few months, when I have been driven crazy and it’s worked beautifully, with no nausea at all. I sometimes feel nauseous when I’m in ketosis and a bit dehydrated. I take a salt tablet with a liter of water, from recommendation, and that has worked well.

20. Abigail says:

Do you believe diet is accountable for every issue? I’m asking because I find it very difficult to determine if it is food I’m eating versus environmental changes affecting me. I know that hormones affect how I feel a lot around my period. Lack of sleep makes me moody and nauseous. Stress from school gives me anxiety. Exercise makes me feel ill as well as not eating enough. When I’m nauseous or tired, I can’t tell if it is all these other things causing it or if it’s actually food. Have you found that external factors don’t play into how you feel and everything negative experienced is a result of food eaten?

• Dream Chaser says:

Food is responsible for almost all of the symptoms.

Analyze society in the USA before 1960. The rates of depression, cancer, and heart disease were tiny.

In the 1970’s the Tobacco lobby was taken to task. 7.000 studies were released which showed proof of Cancer causation.

The Sugar Lobby was next on the chopping block. The same methods which withheld the information on Tobacco causing Cancer were used to blame FAT instead of Sugar for the new crisis.

Regulations were passed which restricted FAT in the 1970’s. The result, the food tasted terrible. The solution, double or triple the Sugar content. There are now 47 different names, for sugar. The food contains five times more sugar when compared to 1960.

Remove soft drinks first, and then slowly get Sugar out of your diet. It will change your life.

21. Steve K. says:

How do you get your daily ~2,000 calories from your meat diet? How much meat must you eat to get enough energy from your food? If you don’t get your calories for your body metabolic needs you will obviously lose weight. You can’t go on forever with your meat diet if you continue to lose weight.
    Btw, if you overload on meat protein you will be unable to fully and properly digest the meat in your stomach and intestines. It will simply putrify and come out very smelly and dark. Your bile flow will also be stressed. Watch out.

• Erik Johansson says:

Steven K, interesting.

I do find this diet interesting and I’m on a plant-based diet so basically the opposite and I’ve been on it for a decent time. I’ll definitely follow people on this diet to see updates. It doesn’t seem to be greatly tested.
      I also haven’t seen much scientific research that would suggest it’s a beneficial diet. People are using their subjective experience as an indicator, like Shawn Baker.

Those diets become ideological for people.
      I mean it’s not that crazy because people will claim anything is the “cure” for all health issues. People are drinking Hydrogen peroxide and other similar stuff and swear that it’s the cure for every disease. It’s a weird thing, we as humans want to latch on to those beliefs.

• Totally fair. It sounds unbelievable too. But now I don’t have acne or depression or arthritis. The skin issue and arthritis can actually be measured, and they’re gone. Related to diet. Obviously it’s also anecdotal, but that’s all we have for now.

• Steve K says:

Your digestive system will soon react adversely because your gut microbiota will be overwhelmed by that protein overload.
          You just can’t suddenly shock your intestinal environment and expect no long term consequences. You may have relief from your chronic problems but you will run into new problems unrelated to your problems.

• Jennifer says:

Steve, I first found the all meat diet nine years ago. Since then I’ve seen hundreds and hundreds of people try it, and the events you predict simply don’t happen. If you’re open to learning more, search for Zero Carb groups in Facebook. There’s a huge amount of information about what to expect and the benefits people experience.

• Erik Johansson says:

Mikhaila, that’s interesting.
          Did you compare blood work pre and post diet?

I definitely understand why you would want to stay on the diet if it works. You did eat certain greens before right? Did that also trigger your issues?
          Make sure to get enough vitamin C to prevent scurvy. I think it’s possible to obtain some vitamin C from very lightly cooked meat?

22. Matt K. says:

Mikhaila,

I’ve heard Jordan reference Freud several times in his talks, but I have never heard him reference the work of Edmund Bergler, one of Freud’s students in Austria. Bergler’s work has significantly helped me and I think the anxiety you mention cannot be fully cured, even on a carnivore diet, without looking deeper into one’s psyche.

I recommend finding a copy of “The Basic Neurosis” by Bergler.

23. Jim Middle says:

I was going to say the same thing, except with Jung’s Liber Novus. I’ve always wanted to ask Dr. Peterson if he has gone through anything similar. It seems from his emotionality that he is on the verge of a ‘non-self’ crisis. I was the same way before mine.

24. Mulota Mwambazi says:

Hi Mikhaila,

I hope your dad does better on the new diet. I doubt you remember my name but i recommended the GAPS diet to you like six months ago. I hope you read my comment and at least gave the diet a try. anyway, i have really been reading up on stem cell research and i think you should really consider it. Joe Rogan and Mel Gibson had a chat on it that was pretty informative on his youtube channel. Give it a look, it only touches the basics though. The video is relatively short compared to most of Rogans videos.

• Erik Johansson says:

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride seems to spew a lot of nonsense but hey, if it works for you that’s good. Don’t expect it to be the solution to every problem just because of that.

• Mulota Mwambazi says:

I said nothing about GAPS working for everyone, and my comment was about stem cell research, not Dr Natasha McBride

25. Erik Johansson says:

Great to hear that Jordan is doing good.

I personally don’t think we necessarily need to go to the extremes like a carnivore diet.
    Many people supposedly become healthier by eating all kind of diets like keto, vegan, carnivore. The common connection is that crap is removed. Things like sodas, sugar, vegetable oils, additives and weird other crap. And then the activity level can usually be increased because of the improved energy levels.

But people become ideological about these diets, they become the higher truth to them. They are so focused on their own problem that suddenly their solution become the solution to every problem.

• I don’t agree. Try having an autoimmune disorder for your entire life, and then having it suddenly disappear when you change your diet like this. This isn’t an ideology… I don’t have arthritis anymore. Or chronic fatigue, or cystic acne, or crippling depression. People go crazy over these diets because they get better after years of doctors telling them they can’t get better. It’d make you crazy too. If all people had to do was remove sodas, sugar, vegetable oils, and additives out of their diet to fix autoimmune disorders, we probably wouldn’t have as many sick people around. It’s more complicated than that. Also, all you have to do with the all meat diet is try it for a month to see if it’s what it’s cracked up to be. Seems fairly simple to debunk.

• mike says:

Good Evening,
        Mikhaila
        I am glad you are doing better.

My earlier response was aimed at Phillip. I am glad you have found a method which works for you.

My only suggestion, look for the meat which is low on preservatives and avoid fast food, at all cost.

• Mike says:

Mikhaila – My research found the following. There are four main problems with the SAD(standard American diet)

– Sugar (With over 47 different names)

– Dairy

– Eggs

– Meat

It appears you have removed 3 out of 4. Have you tried removing meat?

Not all meat is equal. MacDonalds can stay fresh, for two years. Factory Farming has the animals pumped with antibiotics to keep them alive. Pigs are fed dead pigs. The quality is a massive issue.

The Concept of Debunking is illogical. Science and studies are forever a work in progress. When I read an interpretation of the China Study, do I find an alternative Study? Rarely, if ever. It is easy to have an opinion, on a study. “Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance”

There are dozens of people who cured their Lupus with a Plant-based lifestyle. I am grateful for your health and hope it continues.

Thank you!

• SteveK says:

So you say, but do you have a confirming medical assessment of your claims? Have your doctors diagnosed your miraculous recovery as a result of your meat diet?
        I prefer a legitimate medical opinion and not your anecdotal claims. Why should anybody give you the benefit of the doubt and follow you? Who are you anyway other than an internet voice with a claim to fame via your distinguished father? I see a danger in your story.

• Erik Johansson says:

Mikhaila, having an autoimmune disorder is a different ball game.
        So I can definitely understand the reasoning in your situation.

I mean otherwise regular people in terms of health/disease.
        But you’re right, testing the diet is the best way to find out I guess.

26. Rosie Gagnon says:

Your father is amazing. His lectures on being the strong person at the funeral, have really, really helped me push through my sons suicide 6 weeks ago. I’m an ultra runner, mostly eating keto for a year, I’m switching to carnivore as I prepare for a 100 mile race in a couple weeks. I feel like emotional stress is so high after my sons death that the cortisol has really affected my joints and physical recovery. I’m interested to see how this works for him, I hope it helps, the world needs his strength & voice!! <3

• Steve K says:

In a normal digestive tract there is about 7 metres of intestines.
      A high protein meat diet will slow down the passage of food and you will likely experience a bout of constipation. If you are allergic to red meat you will have diarrhea.
      Extreme diets will cause extreme changes that are problematic.

• Shawn K says:

The Inuit lived successfully on nothing but animal based food for thousands of years. Why does diet have to be ideological, especially given the complexity and variability of human beings?

• Because everything has to be ideological. It’s so annoying. I don’t understand how people can be angry about this…. Try things out, see how you feel, perhaps feel better? Hopefully feel better! People could just be happy about it, but ideology sneaks in there and poisons things again and again.

27. Ken Macdonald says:

Hi Steve K
    Are basing your statement on personal experience? or is this theoretical? If you follow (have you?) Mikhaila posts from the beginning you will see that it has been a long hard journey, she did arrive where she is now by a theoretical process but by an experiential process. Your statements are mostly covered in her blog posts.

• SteveK says:

So what is your diagnosis of her miraculous recovery from her personal ailments? Should everybody reading her blog try her meat diet with no concern for adverse outcomes? Where is the impartial medical explanation for her recovery from a litany of medical ills? Is she a reliable source for dietary decisions by others? I have legitimate unresolved suspicions.

• SteveK says:

So what is your diagnosis of her miraculous recovery from her personal ailments? Should everybody reading her blog try her meat diet with no concern for adverse outcomes? Where is the impartial objective medical explanation for her recovery from a litany of medical ills? Is she a reliable source for dietary decisions by others? I have legitimate unresolved suspicions.

• Healthy Living says:

Steve K – Turn on the TV. Go for a drive. You can not go two minutes without being fed an option for junk food. Most people are on the SAD(Standard American Diet). How about trying it out for yourself? If you are happy with your health, stick with it. While, if not. Then try a change. You get what you are, not what you want.

28. Mark says:

ADVERSE OUTCOMES????????? From trying meat only 30 days???

There needs be no impartial medical explanation. Be skeptical…and do it anyways.

No one is forcing steak down your throat.

Did she come into your house and yell at you to eat meat? No. Guess what, you visited HER site where you came to see HER opinion. And then you’re aghast she is recommending it as an OPTION?

29. Lydia says:

It would have been helpful if there was a “before” and “after” set of photos on her skin condition. Are there any confirming photos?

30. Healthy Living says:

Here is a 1-hour debate between the Keto and the Plant-based lifestyle.

A friendly discussion between Kip Andersen, Dave Asprey, and Dr. Joel Kahn. The question they explore is, “what is the ideal diet?” Each guest approaches this subject in a very different way, and we hope that the dialogue between them can bring more clarity to this perennial question.

Kip Andersen is the director of the documentary “What the Health;” Dave Asprey is the author of “The Bulletproof Diet;” and Dr. Joel Kahn is the author of “The Whole Heart Solution.”

31. Mikhaila says:

Hi Mikhaila,

Thank you for the post. Your mention of Dr. Peterson’s feelings of dread which fade in the evening are interesting. I have felt this dread in the morning, but usually for me it is more a depression and anxiety. If I am fatigued, I will feel depressed and anxious throughout the evening. If I am not fatigued, my depression and anxiety almost entirely fades away around 7 pm and I often feel joy. This schedule has made me think it is more than feelings I can control — perhaps diet is involved, but I cannot say. I haven’t tried altering my diet, but I am curious to see how Dr. Peterson does. I typically eat dinner at 5:30, but I don’t know if that matters.

I have Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism, which is hypothyroidism caused by an autoimmune disorder as opposed to iodine deficiency. The autoimmune part is mysterious. Perhaps this is related to my fading of depression in the evening. I haven’t mentioned this to my doctor, though, because I don’t feel like anything will come of it. My glucose has been high for ten years despite mostly healthy eating, and my doctor suspects it is related to the hypothyroidism. If Dr. Peterson has not been checked for hypothyroidism, he should consider it. I spent a year and a half being tested for everything under the sun before they discovered hypothyroidism was involved.

32. Jason says:

Hi Mikhaila,

33. Jon says:

Hello,
    Please, you and your dad, check your ears for diagonal creases in the earlobe. (it looks like your Dad has a bit of it) This is a sign of atherosclerosis, and if you are getting too much LDL in your blood from fatty meat, you *might be exacerbating that. (I am totally not a doctor, just someone who thinks laterally and is ravenous for information)

I have very similar symptoms to your Dad (from what he described), and have also gone on a zero carb diet. The thing that describes me the most is ankylosing spondylitis, which is an inflammatory autoimmune disease that is highly associated with HLA-B27 gene variation. (I have hip/back/neck pain, eye floaters, vision problems, sleep problems, mental fog, etc., but no formal diagnosis)

So far the diet has really helped my vision and mental well being (probably due to the die off of the inciting pathogen), but it hasn’t completely removed the pain yet. And, I have these diagonal creases in my ears myself. So, I am going to start on the Tumeric (Curcumin), Green Tea (egcg), hops (xanthohumol), and Omega 3 (DHA/EPA) to reduce the inflammation further and get my Omega 6/ Omega 3 balance in check. (will probably lean up my meats also for a bit)

Inflammation is a big factor in the onset and progression of atherosclerosis. And, sub-clinical atherosclerosis is associated with autoimmune disease (due to the inflammation). So, whatever autoimmune disease is causing your issues, take care of your heart as well.

• Jon, thanks for sharing. i learned something from your post. Question though. Have you done a food sensitivity test? I’m asking because was taking omega 3 supplements, but i just realized the one i was taking contains sardines, and sardines is one of the things i should exclude based on the results of my test. I have to find one that doesn’t contain sardines….

34. Mikhaila, i just wanted to thank you for starting this blog and inspiring people in watching what they eat. I myself needed a small push to try the exclusion diet based on my own food sensitivity test. Because to tell you the truth, when i first saw the results, my first reaction was: screw this, I’m not doing it” , because of all the exclusions i have to do. But you gave me the necessary push. I’m off dairy, grains, soy, gluten, some specific nuts, egg white, potatoes, rices, beans…basically a ton of things based on my test. I tried the vegan diet for a year and a half before that, i guess that helped with the discipline of restriction. But being vegan, i increased my intake of soy and i was eating whole grains, and i actually felt a worsening of my arthritic symptoms, and some intestinal issues. Following a diet based on the results of my food sensitivity test is my last hope. Your father takes care of my soul, you take care of my body… what a wonderful family you’re a part of:) Again you have my warmest thanks. oh, and please ignore the trolls that will inevitably make it onto your platform. There are a lot of hateful people out there; but know your testimomial is helping many of us, and this alone should lift your spirit. I wish you well with your beautiful daughter. God knows she’s well surrounded.