The Diet – Updated March 2018

Jordan Peterson’s Diet (extremely low carb):

• turkey
  • beef
  • chicken
  • lamb
  • duck
  • wild game is fine too, elk, moose, etc.
  • wild salmon
  • tunacheck the ingredients! Get stuff that’s just tuna and water and perhaps salt.
  • organ meat – chicken liver tastes the best I find
  • wild herring – check the ingredients!
  • wild sardinescheck the ingredients!

• lettuce
  • arugula
  • arugula microgreens (arugula sprouts)
  • cucumber
  • swiss chard
  • seaweed –check the ingredients! this is hard to find without soy and other things. The brand I’ve linked to is safe and really tasty
  • cilantro
  • collard greens
  • broccoli
  • spinach

• olives – check the ingredients! see my olive post. be super careful about which brands you buy here too, many have preservatives and flavours and dyes.

• apple cider vinegar – try to get the organic stuff so there aren’t dyes and flavours added

• coconut oil – get unrefined. And try to avoid the Nutiva brand. It’s everywhere but it doesn’t taste as good, and I’ve had ones that have gone bad before.
  • olive oil – make sure your olive oil is pure olive oil. Sometimes it’s also soybean oil!

• salt
  • pepper
  • turmeric

Mikhaila Peterson’s Diet (Zero-carb):

Meats, Veggies, Fruits, Seasonings:
Soda water because I’m a princess

Dad doesn’t tolerate carbs well. He’s cut out sweet potatoes, parsnips, and carrots and is down to JUST meat and greens. Those of you who have been following for a while may see changes from the original diet here. The original diet is what worked for me pre-pregnancy. For whatever reason, I lost the ability to tolerate any carbs (so any vegetable) after/during pregnancy. It took me about 6 months to realize what was going on and then switched to all meat (Dec 2017). Dad may be going zero-carb soon. He can get his mood to a 7-7.5/10 with the above diet but I don’t think that’s good enough. Zero-carb is easier, and there don’t seem to be any downsides. Currently symptom-free and thrilled about it. I also love steak.

22 thoughts on “The Diet – Updated March 2018

1. AK says:

“Dad doesn’t tolerate carbs well”… what are you basing the level of tolerance on? Digestive issues? Autoimmunity? Mood? All of the above?

As you don’t appear to be eating organ meats are you taking any supplements to cover things like vit A/retinol (which I believe is not found in muscle meats)?

• Dad gets muscle weakness when he eats too many carbs (reasons why sweet potatoes are out), and mood problems. The most irritating symptom we suffer from is depression. When I say he doesn’t tolerate carbs well I’m mostly talking about mood (but not only).

2. Abigail says:

Should everyone eat extremely low carb or is your situation unique? After a 30-day elimination diet, should I start adding back foods even if I’m not feeling 100% better or should I do the opposite and get rid of foods until I am 100% better?

• If you’re not 100% better, something is still irritating you. That’s how it worked for me, and how it worked for Dad and my husband. First you have to make sure sure you haven’t accidentally ingested something partway through (which changes the end date of the 30 day period). There’s no harm doing extremely low carb and then seeing how you feel and then adding things back in. I would say I’m on the severe end of food intolerances though (hence the zero carb). There are definitely going to be people who don’t have to go that extreme.

3. AtlasCole says:

Thank you for the up date. I hope you and your family are doing well. I am currently working my way to this diet. We are slowing cutting out (eating what is left in the house) processed carbs and sugar and dairy. Kids are making it harder. They do like eating things we grow and hunt, so it might be easier than my own struggle of giving up coffee (My precious).
    🙂 yes, every princess deserves her soda water. 🙂
    My symptoms also became much worse after having kids. My body and immune system became extremely fragile.
    Oh… do you get the Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother? If not, i would suggest looking into it. It helps me more than i would have ever dreamed possible.
    Thanks again for your post!
    Take care

4. Mark says:

Do you have any suspicions about which greens are the least offensive? ie, I wonder if swiss chard is easier on people than spinach for example.

Fascinating about your dad heading towards ZC. As you say, easier in some ways.

• For me it doesn’t seem to matter. They’re all bad. Before the pregnancy if I overate spinach I’d get diarrhea, so I was careful not to eat too much. I could eat as many collard greens as I wanted with no problems. But neither of them seemed to bother me.

5. Kodek says:

Your dad mentioned he uses a pulsed light skin therapy device which has been very beneficial to him.

Do you know anything about this, like which device this is?

I’m a sufferer of extreme food sensitivities myself, which has generated a kind of recurrent pancreatitis. It’s brutal, and has aged my skin somewhat. Looking for remedies where I can find them.

Thanks @!!!!!!!!!!

• Intense pulsed light (IPL) and fraxel (much more intense) can make insane difference in aging. They’re generally done through plastic surgery clinics. Fraxel makes a bigger difference and after seeing what it can do, I would highly recommend. It basically burns tiny holes in your skin, and when the skin heals, it heals healthier. It’s not even just about looks, its about skin thickness too. Look into it! IPL for less intense treatments, and fraxel for more intense treatments

• Kodek says:

Thanks for the info, although your dad did say he has an actual device in his home.

Anyways, I wanted to suggest you look into stem cell therapy for systemic inflammatory disorders, such as you have been dealing with. Specifically, UCBSC therapy.

These guys are helping a lot of people. I know there are clinics in Canada as well although they are working with another type of cell which may differ in its efficacy for specific conditions.

Check it out:

6. Hi Mikhaila – cheers for this, and for the blog in general. I just started experimenting with your diet this week, and I wanted to ask you about:

– Roiboos Tea
    – Garlic
    – Mushrooms

Have you tried those? Gutted to see the sweet potatoes gone. I just stocked up on a tonne of ’em…

• Haha, I was fine with the sweet potatoes before the pregnancy! They’re much of a less evil carb than 99.9% of other carbs. Roiboos tea is okay, we haven’t tried garlic, and mushrooms didn’t go too well but weren’t god awful.. That’s as helpful as I can be. Mushrooms upset my digestion. Might be a good one to wait on and reintroduce early.

7. Nick says:

Hi Mikhaila,

Thanks again for all the information – I”ll keep this quick;

I have tried to go zero carb but am having troubles with pellet/pebble like bowel movements; considering you are now down to water, salt, beef, – how do you manage?

Sorry for akward question, but I appreciate any feedback.

• Awkward questions are welcome. My bowel movements were extremely loose for about 3 weeks (my moms were too). Now they’re normal, but softer than before. I’ve heard of people having different issues (constipation, etc.) during the adaptation phase (first month or so). Are you doing zero carb but adding the dairy? I really don’t think dairy is a good idea and that could be contributing to the problem. If not, there is an adaptation phase of about 3 weeks. Monitor your other symptoms. If you’re feeling better but your digestion is still messed up, you might have to just wait it out. It really does take about a month to normalize.

8. Eamon says:

Brief remarks:

Have you guys tried plantains? Ideally baked (forResistant starch)

Fat: try out duck fat? Its intense. And i guess youve ruled out nuts?
    For fiber : psyllium husks , acacia gum,
    Vegetable glycerin is edible
    Yerba mate and matcha tea are great
    Make sure you guys take minerals
    If candida and the gut lining are the root causes theres some amino acids and herbs you can take
    I worry about your guys’ insulin – glucagon levels, more specifically losing too much weight than you want
    And not having energy to build muscle

All the best

• Dad hasn’t lost any weight in over 7 months so don’t worry! This diet doesn’t let you lose too much weight. Dad does eat duck fat. We don’t need the extra fiber. Hell, I’m only eating meat and I don’t need any fiber. We’ve tested insulin, no problems there either. I find people really complicate this. We have zero problems building muscle.

9. B Hausmann Jacobsen says:

First of all thank you for sharing all this food stuff testing you have done, i tried eating only meat and greens now for a few months and i am blown away how good i feel both mentally and physically, all my life “47 Male” i have had issues always freezing and nobody could find out why, now it is gone, this is a game changer, i hope you keep on sharing and potential retching people that haven’t jet figured that the body is build on what you eat.

Happy thoughts and all the best to you and your family.

The Viking from Denmark.

10. Tino Spezza says:

Hi from Italy.

I mostly had loose stools on ZC when eating basically a more Keto version of it (so with bacon, sausages…). All the talk about mTor and Igf still cautioned me in regards of eating huge amounts of protein.
    But both my digestion and my satiety beg to differ.
    I do the best when eating fatty cuts (one more reason why chicken is out for me too) but not crazy fat.
    It’s pretty clear that’s what my body is telling me.

“Dad may be going zero-carb soon. He can get his mood to a 7-7.5/10 with the above diet but I don’t think that’s good enough. Zero-carb is easier, and there don’t seem to be any downsides.”

The main downsides I could think of, would be relative to his public persona. So not the act of actually eating that way, but the act of disclosing it.

• I guess it’s not for me to say, but if the word can get out and more people can feel better, it’s worth telling people. I do the best when eating fatty cuts as well (but not too much). Picky bodies.