Zero Carb/Carnivore Diet Update

It’s going extremely well.

No cravings, arthritis has almost disappeared, mood seems to have improved (it’s been hard to tell with the milk reaction). I will update again in 2 weeks and I’ll know more.

About a week after I started the zero carb diet (all meat), I decided it was stupid and had a salad. I woke up the next day with an arthritic flare, mood dip, and skin itching. Obviously cried a bit that day with the loss of my beloved olives. Now that I’ve been doing it for a while I really don’t care.

What’s happened as a result?

I’ve gone down 3 belt size loops. No joke. I am losing weight from the pregnancy but I had a hard time at the beginning (it was in one of my posts). I went from 136 to 127 in the last 3 weeks, and 3 belt loop sized. In the first week, I lost 5 pounds and went down 2 belt loops. Seriously.

I seem to get a mood boost after I eat beef. Not chicken, not fish, just beef. Again, I’m serious.

Chicken/turkey seems to make me dizzy… I’ll update in a couple of weeks to see if that continues.

Pepper now gives me a stomach ache. I’m only eating meat and salt.

I’ve gone down to two meals a day, naturally. My appetite has dropped. I eat around noon and around 6-7pm. Then I’m completely satisfied until noon the next day, it’s extremely convenient.

Thoughts

So far I’m happy. My arthritis seems to be going away completely (finally), but again, I’ll update in two weeks to see what happens then. I’ve started working out again (I’ve had the energy), and my mood has improved. I don’t regret changing my diet at all. Also here’s a pic of me now:

My body is finally returning to normal. I’m pretty thrilled with it.

All this being said, Dad is doing extremely well on his diet (limited but still eats a lot more vegetables than none), so I think maybe cutting down to meat is only necessary if you’re pretty ill. But so far so good!

I’m starting a testimonial page as well, I’m getting quite a few really encouraging emails (especially about cutting out dairy and gluten). If you have something you’d like to share, please email it to me and let me put it up! It always makes my day.

Posted in FAQ

22 thoughts on “Zero Carb/Carnivore Diet Update

1. Ike says:

Howdy, Mikhaila.

I was wondering if you are still eating the following?

-Turmeric
    -Olive Oil
    -Coconut oil
    -Tuna
    -Salmon
    -Apple Cider Vinegar

I know you’ve emphasized “meat only”, but I’d like to double check.

Also, thought you might wanna know that I’m almost at the point where I do the same as you (just gotta get rid of olives, cauliflower, spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, black pepper, and the above six foods).

Thanks for what you do, I think you’re the only person I’ve ever heard of whose illness/medical history/reactions matched mine so closely. You’ve immeasurably changed my life. If you ever wanna chat, let me know 🙂

• I’ve cut out anything from plants. I’m still doing some fish but beef makes me feel the best. Also salt. No pepper though. Honestly I don’t miss it at all.. I feel a lot better too. If you’re in as rough shape (or you were), as I am, I’d recommend it. I just don’t want to recommend it to anyone who’s doing okay because of the potential microbiome changes. But I feel really good now. Thanks for commenting, hearing these stories is unmeasurably nice

2. James says:

This is fascinating. I had a year-long stint with primal/paleo/low-carb back in 2010 before all the cool kids were doing it. I never considered just eating meat with no vegetables. I’m now very curious to try it and I think I’ll give it a go starting this weekend.

3. Fiona says:

Hey Mikhaila.

I was wondering what your opinion was on replacing 4-legged animal meat with mostly a fish/seafood + 2 legged meat?

Do you think it would have the same effect?

The compassionate side of me wants to eat less of the 4 legged animals that remind me of my dog, but I understand domesticated farm animals are meant to be bred for human consumption and prioritize my health over any other considerations @ the moment.

• Beef makes me feel the best. By far. I don’t eat pork (compassion reasons to begin with and because my dad can’t eat it. So compassion reasons there too?). I used to eat mainly chicken and that was fine. I think if you’re cutting out everything that’s bothering you, you’ll be able to tell what your body likes. I don’t see a problem with 2 legged animals and salmon, sardines, etc. But they definitely don’t make me feel like beef does.

4. Charles Houghton says:

What was the food , your dad said took 4 days before you had a bad reaction? I am 65 and suffering from osteoarthritis-can not walk since 2006. several years ago my right knee developed terrible pain .it lasted 2 years until I quit eating eggs for breakfast and switched to oatmeal,blueberries and almonds. today both my knees are fine.

• A number of foods do this. Eggs can be quite irritating for people. It was probably the eggs. I find fruit really isn’t good for my arthritis too. I actually can’t tolerate almonds either… but for you, eggs could definitely have been the problem.

5. Helen says:

Hello Mikhaila
    Given the research you have clearly done, it is likely that you have read “Death by Food Pyramid” by Denise Minger. Not new, but still applicable. Terrible how science can be misinterpreted (deliberately or not) by corporates with conflicts of interests and by journalists). I was shocked by the chapter on the origin of the pyramid!

Keep up the good work

6. Mikhaila,

I am so happy to hear carnivory is going so well for you. I’ve seen the old TV interview with your father about diet and depression, and I’ve read more details about your various illnesses in his book. I had wondered if carnivory would help people in your situation, so I was pleased to hear the memes had reached you.

For your readers that are interested, I have compiled many carnivore resources here: http://justmeat.co

In particular, I recommend people take a look at Amber O’Hearn’s websites, http://www.ketotic.org/ and http://www.empiri.ca/.

I wish you the best, and I look forward to seeing what else you observe in your experimentations.

Cheers,
    Michael

7. Pat Richard says:

Inspirational. I’ve been doing paleo (with minimal fruits and nuts, incidentally like you, more greens and meat) for 7 months now. It has helped my psoriasis and lethargy.
    I get angry at the “food pyramid”, that I followed for years (decades), eating “healthy” and getting physically bad. I used to be REALLY addicted to soda. Now I’ll occasionally drink sparkling mineral water with lime or mint.

Cheers to continued health!
    t.48y.o. grandpa of 3 in Kentucky

8. Adam Rasmussen says:

Good afternoon, Mikhaila

I wanted to take a moment and express congratulations to you for your courage and successes during your journey. I’ve arrived at your site after listening to your father talking about your experiences (along with his) and the subsequent successes that have come. It’s very exciting to hear about someone coming through to the other side of somewhere terrible.

Personally I’ve transitioned my diet from one heavy in refined carbs to a Ketogenic. Being a type I diabetic, the benefits have been outstanding. Dropping my A1C from about 10 to 7 (such a huge win). Combining the fact that I also have Celiac disease, it’s almost like this diet is how we’re supposed to eat, because I feel a hell of a lot better.
    With that, I have had some challenges. I wanted to ask if you had experienced them and how you overcame them (if you have). Since transitioning to a Ketogenic diet, I have been experiencing heart palpitations. I’ve been doing the diet (with varying degree of strictness) for many months and the palpitations persist. I’m working with physicians as well to determine the cause, but as you’re likely familiar with, they’re not to hip to the who Ketogenic diet, so their experience is limited.

Again, congratulations and thank you for sharing your experiences.
    Best of luck to you and your family.

Be well

–adam

• My guess, there’s something you’re eating still that your body doesn’t like. The symptoms that increased with the diet (when I’m eating something I don’t get along with) are light headedness and low blood pressure, heat palpitations, just to name a couple. The ketogenic diet is a great diet but doesn’t necessarily remove foods your body might be reacting to. I’d do an IgG food sensitivity test if I were you. Nuts are generally allowed on a ketogenic diet (and some dairy), and both give me symptoms.

9. Mike Rhodes says:

I remember seeing you and your father together in an interview about depression from years ago. More recently you both reappeared on that show and you both seemed to have made huge progress. Your dad looks and sounds completely different now then in his old interviews and you seem to have gotten in great shape, not to mention being able to throw away all the meds! What has your experience been with eggs? Any negative response?

• I can’t do eggs. Neither can dad. Some people can though – and it looks like the yolks are easier to handle than the whites for whatever reason. The easiest way to figure this out would be to do a food sensitivity (IgG) test. Or you can cut them out and reintroduce them. I can kind of handle yolks but I just avoid them because of my reaction to the whites. Thanks for the kind words. It’s been a crazy experience.