Zero Carb/Carnivore Diet Update

It’s going extremely well.

No cravings, arthritis has almost disappeared, mood seems to have improved (it’s been hard to tell with the milk reaction). I will update again in 2 weeks and I’ll know more.

About a week after I started the zero carb diet (all meat), I decided it was stupid and had a salad. I woke up the next day with an arthritic flare, mood dip, and skin itching. Obviously cried a bit that day with the loss of my beloved olives. Now that I’ve been doing it for a while I really don’t care.

What’s happened as a result?

I’ve gone down 3 belt size loops. No joke. I am losing weight from the pregnancy but I had a hard time at the beginning (it was in one of my posts). I went from 136 to 127 in the last 3 weeks, and 3 belt loop sized. In the first week, I lost 5 pounds and went down 2 belt loops. Seriously.

I seem to get a mood boost after I eat beef. Not chicken, not fish, just beef. Again, I’m serious.

Chicken/turkey seems to make me dizzy… I’ll update in a couple of weeks to see if that continues.

Pepper now gives me a stomach ache. I’m only eating meat and salt.

I’ve gone down to two meals a day, naturally. My appetite has dropped. I eat around noon and around 6-7pm. Then I’m completely satisfied until noon the next day, it’s extremely convenient.

Thoughts

So far I’m happy. My arthritis seems to be going away completely (finally), but again, I’ll update in two weeks to see what happens then. I’ve started working out again (I’ve had the energy), and my mood has improved. I don’t regret changing my diet at all. Also here’s a pic of me now:

My body is finally returning to normal. I’m pretty thrilled with it.

All this being said, Dad is doing extremely well on his diet (limited but still eats a lot more vegetables than none), so I think maybe cutting down to meat is only necessary if you’re pretty ill. But so far so good!

I’m starting a testimonial page as well, I’m getting quite a few really encouraging emails (especially about cutting out dairy and gluten). If you have something you’d like to share, please email it to me and let me put it up! It always makes my day.

39 thoughts on “Zero Carb/Carnivore Diet Update

1. Mike Rhodes says:

I remember seeing you and your father together in an interview about depression from years ago. More recently you both reappeared on that show and you both seemed to have made huge progress. Your dad looks and sounds completely different now then in his old interviews and you seem to have gotten in great shape, not to mention being able to throw away all the meds! What has your experience been with eggs? Any negative response?

• I can’t do eggs. Neither can dad. Some people can though – and it looks like the yolks are easier to handle than the whites for whatever reason. The easiest way to figure this out would be to do a food sensitivity (IgG) test. Or you can cut them out and reintroduce them. I can kind of handle yolks but I just avoid them because of my reaction to the whites. Thanks for the kind words. It’s been a crazy experience.

2. Todd says:

1. What’s your daily meat meal like — is it a steak a day and nothing else? If so, how many ounces (grams if you like), and just salt with it?

2. Have you had your blood work done since you went carnivore?

• I’ve just had a microbiome test done. I’m open to blood tests – I haven’t done any yet. My usual day is 2-3 ribeye steaks if I’m lucky. One around 11 and one around 7. Sometimes I’ll add in a third if I feel like it. Otherwise I’ll add in roasts and ground beef. I find I can comfortably eat about 2.5 pounds of meat a day, and if I’m hungrier I can eat up to 3.5. That’s pushing it though and I’ll generally eat less the next day if I eat more one day. I’m also breastfeeding so I’m assuming I’ll be less hungry when I stop breastfeeding. I’ll also fry up the steak fat that I don’t eat and make it crunchy and eat that.

3. Barry says:

Hey, I’m barry 26 from Ireland. Im fixing my arthritis with inspiration from you! 🙂 thanks by the way. I thought that was me done there for a while!. Just a quick one, So in any given week or month you’ll ONLY eat beef salt and some fish, that’s it? IV been eating just lamb cabbage and pears, finding it very beneficial. Congratulations on your family!

• Thank you! Just so you’re aware, I can’t tolerate green cabbage, it get’s my arthritis. So do pears now unfortunately. Cutting grains and sugar and everything else you’ve cut should really help though!

4. Mimi says:

It is interesting that beef makes you feel better the most. I have the same response to beef. I tried telling my doctor that and she basically dismissed me because she believes in vegetarian diet…which I have tried and it makes me feel tired and foggy brain and like I have allergies…Actually, sometimes when I eat chicken, even organic, I get an itchy throat.

I researched organic meats and found out that they go through a chemical “wash” through processing. Yep…so wash that organic meat really good!!

5. have you tried dry fast? raw meat? sungaze/bathe ? icebaths ?
    or are there other changes ur willing to make in the future ?
    also please share the negatives , top negatives if any?
    or how long does it take to recover from those

6. Ville Raatikainen says:

Hey. Have you got your microbiome tests done and if so, how did they look?

I’m battling back and forth – the carnivore diet gave me issues, but so does my current “healthy” paleo diet. The palpitations are really bad when eating carnivore and I don’t understand why, since otherwise I feel fantastic. I am now on a “leaky gut” protocol by paid professionals and I’m seeing if it makes a change. I did mostly organic eat GROUND beef when I tried the carnivore diet – I wonder if that makes a difference?

But yeah, would mostly like to hear from your microbiome results, since that’s mainly the only thing that’s stopping me from going full carnivore (if this protocol doesn’t work, which honestly I think won’t).

Thanks!

• Monique says:

Ville Raatikainen: I tend to suffer from heart palpitations also, -except when I am careful to get enough calcium (from milk) & magnesium, (lots of leafy greens). Now I am drinking at least 3 glasses of milk per day. Seems to work like a charm for me. Haven’t had any problems now for the past 3 years. I know a lot of people swear by how unhealthy milk is, but I come from hundreds of years of dairy farmers and I seem to have the genes that deal with its digestion really well. Leafy greens figure big in my diet as well. That’s for the magnesium. Every body is different, this works for me. Good luck with your diet.

• Ville Raatikainen says:

Monique
        Thanks for the support! I had had a constant palpitation for 8 years (relatively fast pulse at all times and an extremely hard-pounding heart on every beat) and it was only the adaptation that made it so much worse. Now that I’ve actually been easing into the carnivore (low-carb, high-fat) the adaptation only made it slightly worse in the beginning but then cleared completely haha. And they dare to call it ‘the heart disease diet’. 36 days in and I’m seeing major improvements on every aspect of my health. I had to drop all my greens as well. From my experience I would recommend for you to give that a go as well, you might discover that you can feel even better than you do now! Have a great summer!

7. Lotan Kritchman says:

what do you use to fry your meat? I’m guessing butter?
    Do you use any oil (olive, coconut etc)?

8. Thanks for your research and trial and error on this. Stumbling across this website is what lead me to start the diet changes as a last resort to help with some issues. Ankylosing spondylitis, (hla b27 neg) and Enbrel has really helped pain and joint damage reduction, but the weirdest issues with dread and anxiety have been a severe problem the last 2 years. Gluten free since 3/1 with good results, but not where I want to be yet, so today I’m doing beef and water for 30 days. Bring on the filets and ice water.

9. Grant says:

Hi Mikhail, I’ve been doing the carnivore diet for my 7th day now. I’ve benefitted from little to no bloating, and appetite seems to have gone down, while ensenelevels feel good. Apart from that, I’m feeling horribly depressed, and anxious. Ever since starting 7 days ago.
    Is this common? And/or will it pass once my body gets used to the diet? What is your experience.
    All I have eaten so far is,

Beef, chicken, bacon, eggs, avocado, black coffee, black tea, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Any experience/ experimental info would help.

• Rich Durante says:

Hi Grant,

I can only speak for myself, but coffee (caffeine), as much as I love it, gives me incredible anxiety and leads to bouts of depression most of the time. I also gave up avocados as they seemed to cause an allergic reaction. Have you experimented with removing either?

• Coffee caused depression for Dad and my husband. (I never tested it out because I saw their reaction). Avocado’s were also a no go because apparently we react to everything other than beef… So I’m not surprised at your reactions.