DIY toothpaste – a good addition to the diet

This is WAY better for you, and super cheap.

Regular toothpastes have emulsifiers, flavouring, and some ingredients that can give susceptible people mouth ulcers. It’s a marketing gimmick. My mom started making her own toothpaste and I literally laughed at her. Then swore I would never get to that point… and now I’m here. (Be careful who you make fun of. Seriously. I am so sorry gluten free hippies, I should never have doubted you). I started making my own because I realized most toothpastes have soy in them! EW, why would I be trying to make my teeth cleaner with soy?

Also, another thing to mention, my plaque production went wayyyyy down. Every time I’m at the dentist now I get compliments. That was from the diet though, before the toothpaste, but I do like the toothpaste, and so does my boyfriend. (He was forced to switch too). My teeth, my dad’s teeth, and my boyfriend’s teeth are all a lot whiter too. Another upside to cutting out the crap in your diet. Dad had receding gums and they don’t even bleed anymore. (This is more likely from dietary changes though, but good toothpaste doesn’t hurt!)

Get a little container, glass would be ideal:

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 15+ drops of peppermint oil

Stir the coconut oil for a bit so it gets softer, but not liquid. Add the baking soda and peppermint oil.

Mix them all together and then put in the fridge to harden up a bit. Then keep next to the sink. I’ve heard of people who make big batches of this stuff to use as a face/body scrub too!

It doesn’t foam, and you don’t need as much as regular toothpaste. Just stick your brush in and figure out how much you need. It feels a lot better, more like you’re cleaning your teeth, not like you’re putting flavour in your mouth to pretend to be clean.

15 thoughts on “DIY toothpaste – a good addition to the diet

1. Filip says:

Is it supposed to have a sour taste from the baking powder? And should it dissolve into the coconut oil? I get the grainy part of the baking powder sort of grinding my teeth, but I’m not sure!

• It shouldn’t be gritty. It takes a bit of getting used to because it doesn’t foam, but it shouldn’t be unpleasant. If you melt the coconut oil, make sure you stir it around when it’s not completely melted or the baking powder goes to the bottom, and that part can be kind of unpleasant. Make sure you use enough peppermint oil too. Let me know if you’re still having problems

• C says:

Make sure you are using baking soda, not baking powder. Grainy should be fine, polish the teeth. I’ve used just baking soda, dipping a wetted toothbrush in and used that way, but really looking forward to trying this. Thank you, Mikayla

2. Campbell says:

What do you think of mouthwash? Do you use it or is it unnecessary? Do you know if it has any ingredients that would give you symptoms?

• I think mouth wash is unnecessary. My breath has improved substantially since the change in diet. When I do have a reaction, I wake up in the morning with a horrible taste in my mouth, but normally that’s completely gone. I’d recommend just ditching it.

3. xXHotaroXx says:

Hi, want to ask: What about fluorid? It seems like an incredibly important ingredient in keeping your teeth clean.

• Reed Nystrom says:

It’s good for preventing tooth decay I suppose, but if you’re not really eating any sugar, there’s not much of a need for it.

• Linda Packer says:

Fluoride has never been touted as keeping teeth clean. It’s supposed to protect against cavities. Whether it actually does this or not is anybody’s guess. It actually makes municipalities money, which is why they put it into the water supply. It’s an industrial waste from the aluminum industry and it’s not good for anybody. If you want fluoride drink some green tea. It’s better for you that way – but please don’t force that poison onto the rest of society.

4. Υou actuaⅼly make it seem ѕo eaѕy with your preѕentation but
    I find this matter to be reaⅼⅼy something which I think
    I would never understand. It seеms too complex and very bгoad for me.
    I’m looking foгward for your next post, I will try to get
    the hang ߋf it!

5. I might try this, but I switched to just using baking soda a couple of years ago and it’s been amazing. You’re teeth get whiter and they feel smoother than with any toothpaste. I cleared it with my dentist first (though I think she thought I was crazy). After about a year she told me she was convinced and was going to switch. I see her every six months but haven’t asked her if she ever did, but my teeth are better than ever making the switch.

6. You guys are going first class compared to me. I use equal parts baking soda and Morton’s canning salt shaken (not stirred!) in a glass quart bottle containing distilled water. I let it settle, then I pour a little on my toothbrush and away I go. I then go 1 part solution to 1 part tap water in my Water-pik, and use the solution to create an even more hostile milieu for the bone eating bacteria. I’m too old to be playing around anymore… it’s on… -lol-

I believe this recipe originated with Dr. Hal Huggins. a rather famous, or infamous, depending on perspective, former dentist who got in big trouble with Empire for claiming toxic mercury in the mouth of live humans was, -shock and awe-, toxic.