THE MIKHAILA PETERSON PODCAST
Episode 17: Fortitude and Mental Stillness with Rep. Dan Crenshaw
“The problem with the word justice recently… and again the problem that I have with the left is they use the word often; because it’s a good word, it’s something we all agree on. But they’ve redefined it and to them justice means power. It means power over somebody else. That’s their form of justice.”
U.S. Representative Dan Crenshaw (Congressman, Author, and Navy Seal) and Mikhaila talk about his book Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage, the explosion that led to him losing his eye, being injury prone and the art of skydiving without having depth perception, and Mikhila asks Representative Crenshaw if there are any Democrats that he respects.
–Daniel Reed Crenshaw is an American politician and former United States Navy SEAL officer serving in the United States House of Representatives for Texas’s 2nd congressional district since 2019. He is a member of the Republican Party.
- [2:00] Introduction and overview of Rep. Crenshaw’s book Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage
- [5:00] Rep. Crenshaw’s Background
- [7:00] BUDS and hell week
- [8:00] Being accident prone in the Navy Seals
- [9:30] Rep. Crenshaw got a Masters in Public Policy at Harvard and then “fell” into politics.
- [10:30] How to survive being thrown into a boat with your hands and legs tied
- [13:00] Being still and mental toughness
- [14:30] What percentage of people drop out of BUDS
- [16:30] THE eye injury…
- [21:00] The most traumatic part of blindness
- [23:30] Skydiving with no depth perception
- [25:30] Why did you become a congressman?
- [29:30] Democrats that Rep. Crenshaw admires
- [31:30] The 2020 Marxist takeover
- [35:00] How do you stop yourself from blaming things on other people?
- [36:00] “We assume all discrepancies and all disparities are a direct result of somebody oppressing another… that’s objectively not true. It’s just not true.”
- [42:30] “The problem with the word justice recently… and again the problem that I have with the left is they use the word often; because it’s a good word, it’s something we all agree on. But they’ve redefined it and to them justice means power. It means power over somebody else. That’s their form of justice.”
- [43:30] The importance of shame in the quest of improving yourself
- [48:00] Imagining your best hero attributes and striving to be that hero
Mikhaila Peterson (@mikhailapeterson Instagram) is a 28 year old mother, CEO, health influencer, writer and founder of the Lion Diet, from Toronto, Canada. She has put her idiopathic juvenile arthritis, severe depression (bipolar type II), and chronic fatigue (among other ailments) into remission using The Lion Diet - a beef, salt and water elimination diet. Although it may seem unorthodox, she’s thrived on it for over 2 years. Also recognized for her work with her father, Dr. Jordan B. Peterson (Canadian psychologist and author), she encourages others to take responsibility for every part of their physical and mental health, and teaches how to dramatically transform one's life by never giving up on yourself.
The Mikhaila Peterson Podcast is a podcast where host Mikhaila Peterson speaks with thought leaders, and industry changers - continually finding the best ways to improve the human experience. From stay at home mom’s to CEO’s, fitness enthusiasts to spiritual guides, nutrition researchers to health professionals - Mikhaila has interview-style conversations aimed at provoking thought, addressing difficult subjects, and speaking about topics that are generally shied away from.