THE MIKHAILA PETERSON PODCAST
Episode 26: Jocko Willink
“Do you have any suggestions for becoming more disciplined?” – “Yes, but nobody likes them.”
Jocko (retired Navy SEAL, author, podcaster, entrepreneur) and I to discuss friends that stick with you through tough times, balancing work and life with equal intensity, stress management, and how to take ownership of the worst possible life circumstances.
Find Jocko at his website https://echelonfront.com/jocko-willink, and on Instagram @jockowillink
This episode is sponsored by truLOCAL. truLOCAL partners with local farmers and butchers (in your area) to source the best meat available. Serving 100’s of cuts of beef, lamb, buffalo, and chicken; truLOCAL even offers cuts that you can’t get at the grocery store. My favourite is their lamb and striploin.
Visit https://trulocal.ca and enter code “MP” to get 2 free ribeye steaks with a large box order. If you’re Canadian and you appreciate quality meat – I’d highly recommend checking them out.
This episode is also brought to you by the fantastic Murdy Creative Co. Murdy Creative Co. combines handmade processes with contemporary tools to create truly unique journals, binders, and portfolios.
Visit https://www.murdycreativeco.com to check out all of their beautiful products and use code name MP for a free custom engraving on any product.
And this episode is brought to you by Optimal Carnivore. Do you struggle to eat organ meat? Optimal Carnivore was created by Carnivores for Carnivores. They created a unique organ complex from grass-fed animals in New Zealand. It includes 9 different organs – Liver, Brain, Heart, Thymus, Kidney, Spleen, Pancreas, Lung, etc. Taking 6 capsules is the same as eating an ounce of raw organ meat from the butcher. And hurray for that because nobody really wants to eat raw organ meat. Really.
Visit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088124QD5 and use the code: “mikhaila10” at checkout to receive 10% off.
- [6:00] Why Jocko has been self-publishing some of his books.
- [9:30] the infamous Jocko sleep schedule and interesting power nap strategies
- [10:30] Balancing hyper-industriousness and being disciplined in the pursuit of happiness
- [13:00] How to know if your friends will stick around when the going gets tough
- [15:30] Jocko’s love for Jiu-Jitsu
- [16:00] the Jocko diet
- [18:00] Teenage Jocko and growing up into his dream job
- [18:30] What does “Get Some” mean?
- [20:00] Emulating traits that you see and respect in others
- [22:30] “Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?”
- [24:00] Suggestions for increasing internal discipline
- [25:30] Lessons in becoming more brave and listening to each other
- [26:00] Effective strategies for communicating with people
- [33:00] Keeping your cool in stressful situations and operating with a broader perspective
- [36:30] “Your voice is a very good indicator of your stress levels”
- [37:00] SEALs in the news, SEALs in the media, where is the limit?
- [39:00] How much did the military change Jocko?
- [42:00] It’s good to know the propensity for human beings to perpetrate evil
- [43:00] Preparing for the worst case scenario and becoming complacent in safety
- [47:00] The difference between people who have been given terrible circumstances but keep their attitude positive vs. people who are given everything and aren’t happy.
- [47:00] The story of Chesty Puller
- [55:00] Nicole Arbour’s ability to turn her circumstances into comedy
- [58:00] Jocko’s first book, Extreme Ownership, and public pushback on taking ownership of the most unthinkable situations. When you can’t take ownership of circumstances, you can still take ownership of how you respond
- [1:00:00] Jocko met Jordan Peterson before 12 Rules for Life came out and they found mutual respect while speaking at the same event
- [1:02:00] Hiring, firing, and estimating an employee’s efficacy
- [1:04:30] The escalation of counseling
Mikhaila Peterson (@mikhailapeterson Instagram) is a 28 year old mother, CEO, health influencer, writer and founder of the Lion Diet, from Toronto, Canada. She has put her idiopathic juvenile arthritis, severe depression (bipolar type II), and chronic fatigue (among other ailments) into remission using The Lion Diet - a beef, salt and water elimination diet. Although it may seem unorthodox, she’s thrived on it for over 2 years. Also recognized for her work with her father, Dr. Jordan B. Peterson (Canadian psychologist and author), she encourages others to take responsibility for every part of their physical and mental health, and teaches how to dramatically transform one's life by never giving up on yourself.
The Mikhaila Peterson Podcast is a podcast where host Mikhaila Peterson speaks with thought leaders, and industry changers - continually finding the best ways to improve the human experience. From stay at home mom’s to CEO’s, fitness enthusiasts to spiritual guides, nutrition researchers to health professionals - Mikhaila has interview-style conversations aimed at provoking thought, addressing difficult subjects, and speaking about topics that are generally shied away from.