THE MIKHAILA PETERSON PODCAST
Episode 4: Hamilton Morris – Psychedelics, Nootropics, and Benzodiazepines
“If we can use MDMA or psilocybin as a pharmaceutical product, can we then strip the psychedelic properties from these compounds and just somehow isolate the therapeutic effect?”
Hamilton Morris is an American journalist and pharmacological researcher. He is known for his television series Hamilton’s Pharmacopeia, in which he investigates the chemistry, history, and cultural impact of various psychoactive drugs.
- [2:00] The creation of Hamilton’s Pharmacopeia
- [4:00] How Hamilton got into his field of study
- [7:00] GC/MS and NMR data to identify substances and appropriate experiment preparation
- [8:30] Nootropics and daily sustainable ADHD treatments
- [10:30] “And it’s easy to mistake that drama of your experience with a therapeutic effect”
- [12:00] Snorting Anti-Diuretic and the give and take of using substances
- [14:00] Nicotine gum for focus, even though it’s incredibly habit forming
- [16:00] Benzo prescriptions and extremely high addiction rate
- [18:00] Brain changes from prolonged SSRI use
- [21:00] Psychedelics and dissociative experiences
- [23:00] Low to Medium dose of LSD is much different than a DMT experience
- [24:00] A high dose of Psilocin/Psilocybin and a high dose of DMT are quite similar
- [26:00] Synthetic Ayahuasca to avoid dietary issues with plants
- [28:00] Experimental MAOIs for Parkinson’s Disease
- [30:00] Ibogaine and Iboga Ceremonies
- [34:00] Ibogaine for assisting in Opioid dependence
- [36:00] The spectrum from Caffeine to Ritalin to Provigil/Modafinil
- [40:00] Adderall to stay awake, Diphenhydramine to fall asleep
- [43:00] 23andMe results in substance metabolization
- [43:00] Noopept and Racetams
- [45:30] “I haven’t seen any sci-fi type of transformation from Nootropics”
- [48:00] “if we can use MDMA or psilocybin as a pharmaceutical product, can we then strip the psychedelic properties from these compounds and just somehow isolate the therapeutic effect”
- [50:00] Owsley Stanley and the all-meat diet
- [51:00] Can we see the life-changing revelations that psychedelics help produce without the psychedelic effects?
- [56:00] The most addictive substances that Hamilton has studied
- [1:01:00] Find Hamilton’s Pharmacopeia on Hulu, Amazon, and iTunes
Mikhaila Peterson (@mikhailapeterson Instagram) is a 28 year old mother, CEO, health influencer, writer and founder of the Lion Diet, from Toronto, Canada. She has put her idiopathic juvenile arthritis, severe depression (bipolar type II), and chronic fatigue (among other ailments) into remission using The Lion Diet - a beef, salt and water elimination diet. Although it may seem unorthodox, she’s thrived on it for over 2 years. Also recognized for her work with her father, Dr. Jordan B. Peterson (Canadian psychologist and author), she encourages others to take responsibility for every part of their physical and mental health, and teaches how to dramatically transform one's life by never giving up on yourself.
The Mikhaila Peterson Podcast is a podcast where host Mikhaila Peterson speaks with thought leaders, and industry changers - continually finding the best ways to improve the human experience. From stay at home mom’s to CEO’s, fitness enthusiasts to spiritual guides, nutrition researchers to health professionals - Mikhaila has interview-style conversations aimed at provoking thought, addressing difficult subjects, and speaking about topics that are generally shied away from.