Old Spoonie here! Have a difficult time with meat…

Home Forums Welcome! Introduce yourself here! Old Spoonie here! Have a difficult time with meat…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pamela Curtis 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Pamela Curtis
    Participant

Hey everyone, and thank you Mikhaila!

Okay, so I’m a little weird. I went through the whole elimination diet thing for my disorder when it first came on and I discovered that I have a very difficult tie eating meat and insoluable fiber. McDonald’s became my best friend. It was the only thing I could digest. Highly processed seems to be my friend… but based on the research, I’m not so sure.

I want to try this diet. but I’m nervous. And I already don’t eat enough as is (chronic nausea from peripheral neuropathy, whee!).

They have nothing for my autoimmune disease and anyone on the thyroid roller-coaster knows how much that sucks. I *will* go into remission sometimes, and all functions (thyroid, adrenal, gonad) returns to normal, then they’ll all crap out again. Weirder still, they don’t always crap out in the normal order… my gonads should go first, but sometimes they’re fine while it’s my adrenals that aren’t, or any wacky combination therein. On top of that, I also lose potassium, which isn’t normal for adrenals insufficiency.

When I said I wanted to be unique and special, this is NOT what I had in mind…

Suggestions, question welcomed.

Daniel Dunn
    Participant

Ihave you ever tried eating meat on its own, nothing else, meat was always a big problem for me when I mixed it with carbohydrates or fiber also fat, I don’t seem to be able to digest different macronutrients at the same time but meat on its own now is really good, cooked steaks are by far the best and easiest to digest

Pamela Curtis
    Participant

Yes, and that’s generally the worst result… I love a good filet steak, and if I eat just that, the gut pain is horrible. I’ve had to stop eating bacon because my body can’t seem to break it down [TMI but damn is it painful pooping out bacon bits*].

As I said, I’m a weirdo. /sigh

*actual bits of bacon, not the processed crap

Daniel Dunn
    Participant

Everybody’s different, sounds like stomach acid could maybe be a problem if you got full undigested bits in your poop. Ive been seeing on you tube people taking celery juice to help tstomach acid production but ive never tried itsorry I couldn’t be more help, don’t worry im a bit of a weirdo to when it comes to food and stuff

Pamela Curtis
    Participant

No worries! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out. Stomach acid may be the problem: I have nerve damage there.

Pamela Curtis
    Participant

(ETA) At the suggestion of research, I’m going to start with easier to digest ground lamb (grass fed) and try to mix in grass-fed beef as I go. I’m also going to try all-grass fed & finished bison soup bones, which if I make into a stew should also make it easier to digest. (I’m lucky and even have a local source for the latter!)

Daniel Dunn
    Participant

Sounds good, its all about trail and error. I still have problems digesting ground meat, I think its because you have to cook it all the way through unlike steak, well cooked meat and fat seems to be much harder to digest. I was reading your other post about red bull, maybe its the niacin in it that helps you, ive been taking the niacin for the past 2 years and its made a big difference to my mood and energy levels, I think it may stimulate stomach acid as well, I can’t eat for at least four hours after taking it because I think it stimulates stomach acid and then doesn’t leave me enough for food digestion after.

Daniel Dunn
    Participant

Same thing happens with coffee as well actually

Pamela Curtis
    Participant

That’s so interesting, I’m the opposite! Ground meat I’m better with, steaks are difficult (it can be nearly-mooing or well-done, makes no difference).

I think with the Red Bull it’s also the sublingual B-12 (one of the few ways it can be absorbed). I know the niacin is good for migraines. I did not know that about stomach acid, but it would fit in line with my experience as well. Coffee hasn’t been my friend for a while.

Daniel Dunn
    Participant

I think we just have a bit different digestive problems, nerve damage sounds like it could be quite tricky to work round,its just trial and error for a while until you find something that works, but I would definitely say its life changing when you do. Don’t qoute me on the niacin though I could only find the 1 study on it but it definitely makes sense with how it affects me. The red bull might knock you out of keto if its not sugar free. Why can’t you drink coffee ? I had to give it up as well 🙁 but I do feel much better without it but I still miss it

Pamela Curtis
    Participant

Yeah, I’m not shooting for full keto yet. I know I can’t do artificial sweeteners… insta-migraine. Coffee I can’t do because of the acid (speeds up my digestion too much). Dark chocolate is also right out (I will have chocolate relapse dreams where I’m just gorging myself on truffles).

The first thing that I’ve noticed is my appetite is back… I’d lost that for a long time, so that’s a pleasant surprise!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.