Removing Salt

Home Forums Zero Carb Forum Removing Salt

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steven Hancock 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Austin Bachurski
    Participant

Hey all, just joined the forum – 31 year old male and I’ve been carnivore for almost 6 months now and I’ve had issues with calves and feet cramping up, especially at night, for most of it. I’ve read numerous things about supplement this and that, make sure you drink lots of water, etc. None of which has had any effect, latest thing I’m trying per a recommendation is to remove salt from my diet. From what I’ve read many long time veterans of carnivore don’t consume salt, I’m on my second week of no salt and the only difference I’ve noticed thus far is my joints hurt and everything tastes like crap. Has anyone here removed salt from their diet? I’m curious as to how long it takes for meat to start tasting good again, and if the joint pain is actually a side effect, I’m hoping temporarily? 100% beef, usually eating steaks or ground beef, 2-3 lbs a day at the moment, used to be closer to 4 lbs but I can’t eat near as much without salt, steaks are alright but burger is no fun to eat. Thank you.

Steven Hancock
    Participant

Cramping is normally lack of magnesium, have you tried supplementing it? If no then try supplementing with SloMag or Jigsaw MagSRT (there are two versions, one is vitamin B free). They’re easier on the digestion than regular magnesium tabs. Worked for me is all I can say.
    The kidneys retain salt on a high carb diet, but start working better when in ketosis, and so start to effectively flush salt. I was getting brain fog until I upped my salt intake; this is because a lack of salt will cause the kidneys to give up potassium in a bid to retain salt.
    While in ketosis, the kidneys effectively flush water too, these two issues combined can result in loss of blood flow.
    Clearly not replacing flushed out water, and sodium is not ideal, it doesn’t feel good! Personally I’d reintroduce salt as long as you don’t have high blood pressure, make sure you are well hydrated, and give the magnesium a chance if you’ve not done so.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.