No more pain from Osteoarthritis

Home Forums Welcome! Introduce yourself here! No more pain from Osteoarthritis

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dawn Fisher 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Dawn Fisher
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am a 48 year old woman from the UK who has suffered with Osteoarthritis for the past 5-6 years. I have been taking copious amounts of pain killers including Tramadol and Gabapentin. Having found Mikhaila’s story thanks to her dad I decided to give her elimination diet a try.

I started in May, feeling quite cynical as my arthritis was supposed to be caused by wear and tear on my joints. Within a couple of weeks all of the pain had disappeared from my hands and my feet. I went full carnivore after about 3 weeks and since then I have managed to wean myself off all of my pain killers.

I have also lost 55lbs in weight and been able to go back to my hobby of hill walking. This was something I never thought I would be able to do again due to the pain in my feet.

Other things that have improved since starting this way of eating include:

menopausal symptoms disappeared
    my hair has stopped falling out when I wash/brush it
    I seem to need much less sleep
    I have more energy and my mood is better

I cannot get over the changes which have come about just by changing my diet.

Tremella Fuciformis
    Participant

Congratulations on your progress! That’s wonderful!

A question: did you experience noticeable joint swelling with your arthritis, and if so, did the swelling subside after you went carnivore?

Dawn Fisher
    Participant

Thank you.

No I didn’t really get any swelling from my arthritis, just pain. I saw 3 consultants who all confirmed that I had Osteoarthritis not Rheumatoid arthritis and that the only thing they could do for me was prescribe pain killers. I could never understand how ‘wear and tear’ could develop in both hands and both feet at the same time. Coincidentally, I also started to go through an early menopause at the same time but this was dismissed as not relevant. Research I have done since shows that Osteoarthritis used to be called ‘Menopausal Arthritis’ back in the 1960s. Obviously they knew something that today’s doctors don’t!

Mia Bretz
    Participant

Great! I’m happy for you, congratulations! The changes are impressive.

Question: Do you eat only meat? I presume no condiments, no tea, no coffee or anything else. Correct? (I suffer from back pain and I’m the same age as you). Currently I’m on an elimination diet but in a few weeks I’ll go only meat. Anyway, I already see improvement in my condition and I’m really happy about it!

Thank you.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Mia Bretz.

Dawn Fisher
    Participant

Hi Mila

Thank you,

I eat meat and eggs (with a little salt and pepper) and drink water. I found that I could tolerate some cheese but it slowed down my weight loss. I also found that butter set off my arthritis so I now used beef dripping for frying. I recently had some gammon which I didn’t realise had added sugar, emulsifiers and a couple of E numbers and that set off the pain in my hands and feet. Guess I’m going to have to carefully check the packaging even on meat!

I’m pleased that you are also seeing improvements on the elimination diet. I feel like I have to tell the whole world how this has changed my life so that other people can do the same, although most people don’t seem to be ready to listen.

Good luck with your journey.

Mia Bretz
    Participant

Thank you. After reading your posts I decided to start today with your exact diet: eggs and meat plus water. I just want to see how I feel. I told my husband about it and he’s quite against it (“No veggies? It’s not healthy!”) so I’ll do it anyway but without discussing it with anyone. Have a lovely day!

Dawn Fisher
    Participant

Don’t forget that the meat needs to be fatty cuts so that you have enough energy and also so that you don’t get constipated. Don’t go too mad on the fat to start with though otherwise you might get a problem with the runs.

Good luck.

Mia Bretz
    Participant

Good to know, thanks for the tip!

Mia Bretz
    Participant

Unfortunately I was not able to eat only meat, I got really sick of it after the first day! I’m doing an elimination diet now to see how it goes. This diet is more strict that the one I was following before. Now, my diet has no dairy, no alcohol, nothing with sugar, no carbs (only some berries), no caffeine. And I only eat green veggies, that’s it.

The most difficult for me is/was to stop eating dairy products, I was addicted I guess. Anyway, I’ll stick with it.

Dawn Fisher
    Participant

Hi Mia

Sorry to hear that meat only didn’t work out for you. Hopefully you will have success with the less strict elimination diet. It certainly seems to work for some people.

Good luck

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.