Gym after baby and for the first time since 2015… Suck it up.

I’ve been doing floor exercises since June or July (3 or 4 months), slowly getting stronger. Using 5 pound weights for my arms and just doing bodyweight exercises for my legs with some rubber bands. It started off ridiculously slow. I could hardly do 10 of these guys on my left leg:

Left ankle is replaced. Entire leg is much weaker but I can get my bum in the air. Can’t put my foot directly under my knee because of the lack of movement from the replacement. This is not where I do my exercises, just needed some example pictures.

And I couldn’t (and still can’t) get my leg straight on my right side because of the hip replacement:

This is as high as my bum will go from a lack of flexibility from the hip replacement. But the actual leg is way stronger than my left.

It started off incredibly frustrating but I got stronger really quickly. After two weeks of doing floor exercises, I got stronger. That felt really good because I could feel the improvements really quickly.

I moved to a condo with a gym and I went to the actual gym for the first time since 2015 this morning. I had stopped going to the gym in the summer of 2015 (just after I cut out gluten but before the elimination diet and wayyyy before all beef). My physio had told me I was going to hurt myself because of my ankle replacement failing. So I quit. Then I lost all the weight I wanted to lose by going on the original elimination diet so I didn’t even feel like I needed the gym. I knew I was weak but hell I had abs (which I had never been able to get at the gym).

Then I got pregnant and had a baby and destroyed my core (as it does when you stretch out all your abs to hold a human). Slowly built that up (just by waiting and doing some seriously minor ab exercises) before I started the floor exercises.

Anyway, I’ve been avoiding going to a gym because I HATE it. I came up with excuses. I do need an ankle revision surgery (scheduled in January). It does hurt to do leg exercises. But mostly I was avoiding it because it’s frustrating and it’s hard and that is a terrible excuse. So I went today and absolutely hated it again. Not the exercising part. The frustration part. I’ll keep going regardless. And I’ll hate it less everytime. I knew the first time would be the worst.

My left leg is SO weak. And my ankle hurts. And I can see the difference between it and my right leg in the mirror. It’s so weak. It’s not weak like before the floor exercises (which I have to keep remembering), but it’s so much weaker than my right. It’s the visual difference that gets to me. And my right ass cheek is weaker than my left because of the hip replacement!!! I have to do all the leg exercises separately on the machines so that I’m working out each side equally or one leg just takes over.

So after the complaining, mostly I wanted to say:

After you fix your diet and get healthier – that takes time, give yourself the time to adapt, go through sugar withdrawal, get into ketosis, and start to heal – start exercising. Start doing things again. It can seriously suck to begin with, especially if you have injuries or you haven’t done it for years, or you’re just permanently fucked in some way. It can seriously suck. Verge of tears frustration about life suck. I don’t get upset easily now that the depression is gone, but it still sucked. That’s not a reason to avoid it. If you’re healthy enough to exercise, force yourself to do it and you’ll get stronger slowly. And suck it up if it sucks. (Mostly talking to myself here). Suck it up because things could be much worse (you could be hallucinating soy demons). After you’re done feeling sorry for yourself (try and keep that to a minimum), turn that frustration and self-pity into determination and anger and tell the cards you were dealt to go fuck themselves.

My goal exercise-wise is to become one of those people with huge asses AND joints replaced. Stay tuned. Might take a while and will definitely be interrupted by a hopefully successful surgery.

🙂

52 thoughts on “Gym after baby and for the first time since 2015… Suck it up.

1. eddie says:

In the Dr. Oz interview, Dr. Oz asked your father about his diet, commenting that he was “rail thin”. Your dad revealed that he had lost over 50 lbs. on the all-beef diet!! Now much does your dad weigh now, 120? 130 lbs.?

• eddie says:

When was his Rogan interview, because his recent Dr. Oz interview is new on his blog? If he continues on his meat diet he will continue to lose weight and become emaciated.

• Spartacus says:

On carnivore, people don’t just keep losing weight indefinitely. Eventually the body gets to where it wants to be and adjusts the appetite and energy expenditure accordingly.

2. Barbara says:

It’s amazing that you’re able to make time to exercise, run the blog and be a mother on your own – you’re an inspiration to us all!

3. So, your right hip looks like sexy Mom, your left hip looks like sexy girl; you need to get yourself one of those two-headed coins to flip just in case Batman shows up in your life. 🙂

Also, a key to being a successful Gym Rat is to team up with other Gym Rats and develop a training group together. Doesn’t have to feature everybody, every time, but a small-ish group of regular training partners that mix-n-match training schedules and activities on a regular basis. You end up supporting each other just by challenging each other, and it takes SO much of the suck out of training.

You got this.

4. Steven V says:

Keep going Mikhaila, looking good!! I seem to have a somewhat similar hip problem going on but with no way near the arthritic response and pain you have had. I find going into the pool helps a lot with trying to get balance into your body, especially the legs. Try the pool some, especially when your inflammation is high on that day. The water is so good for resistance and support.

I had to go back to New Hampshire and get my house on the market but I am permanently moving back to Florida to be able to get back into the pool everyday and get all that wonderful sunshine. Left Florida 6 months ago and notice a substantial difference of not being able to get back into the pool and get that sun exposure.

5. eddie says:

Take it easy on exercising your stomach muscles because you could cause an inguinal hernia on the left side, particularly after pregnancy.

• Yeah :/ as much as I can. I’m definitely not taking anything orally. Hopefully I can get a patch or something. Well mostly I hope it just won’t hurt too much haha

6. John Hair says:

Mikhaila,

I tried reaching out to you on IG but I know you are busy over there. I believe I have exactly the same condition as yourself, and I had a question. How are you able to dine out regularly and remain symptom free? As soon as I take a bite of steak from a restaurant, I immediately begin feeling the inflammation starting due to what I believe is the cross contamination of gluten in the kitchen. Were you not always sensitive to CC or were you able to tolerate restaurant food after transitioning to the carnivore diet?

• I only eat at places I know can serve steak with nothing on it and honestly it terrifies me. Dad eats out all the time and can manage it at high end restaurants but it freaks me out. The keg will do a seasoning oil free steak, they’re not bad. I only do steakhouses when I go out though and I’m very particular and clear when I order

7. noorma says:

What if certain JRA is an overractive immune response to Proteus mirabilis metabolism or other soil commensal found in produce?

“proteus mirabilis haemolysin peptide”

‘Rheumatoid Arthritis and Proteus’ By Alan Ebringer

according to;
    “Proteus mirabilis is a Gram-negative, facultatively anaerobic, rod-shaped bacterium. It shows swarming motility and urease activity. P. mirabilis causes 90% of all Proteus infections in humans. It is widely distributed in soil and water.[1]

Like body not liking bacterial toxins more than usual freakout.

Lipopolysaccharides on steroids in my cider.

8. Spontaneous humanoid Combustion syndrome says:

like an ultrasensitive necrosis signal for specially-jointed people responding to cider containing cell walls?

Erythrogenic toxins, also referred to as streptococcal pyrogenic exotoxins An exotoxin is a toxin secreted by bacteria. Throat infections associated with release of certain toxins lead to scarlet fever

mutant soil bacteria yucky vegetable

9. meaty sausages says:

everyone knows bacteria make the most potent yuckiest toxic vegetable

Eat Only cows grassfed in hydroponically sterilized grassland might be necessary to avoid spontaneous immune reaction. that way the cow can not accumulate deadly bacteria signalling molecules to cause the immunity autolysis of the precious bodily fluid