October Update All Beef Diet and Life

Hi Everyone!

Sorry about the incredibly long silence. I’m going through some personal life drama (nothing health related) and I’ve been incredibly busy. I’ll update everyone on that later.

All beef diet is still going strong! I am still alive and thriving. I will not have radio silence again for this long, and I am going to start a YouTube Channel in November! Stay tuned.

Here are some quick updates (pepper reaction and baby update):

Pepper reaction early August: I went out to eat and had pepper accidentally in August. Five days before the podcast with Rogan. I hardly had any pepper, just a bit. I freaked out as soon as I noticed, and left the restaurant and went home and stressed out. Had a bunch of activated charcoal, prayed to the autoimmune gods, almost cried, etc. I didn’t get away with it, I did react to pepper. It was MINOR in comparison to reintroducing a food and what used to happen, but I did react. I had body odour for about 2 weeks, and a tiny bit of brain fog. It was hardly noticeable really. Well, the BO was. But not the rest of the autoimmune stuff. My knee hurt one day and my big toe and that was basically it. Almost. It was a breeze for a reaction, but what did happen was I got a rash/breakout! I’m 99% sure it was pepper related because my skin never breaks out. I had something that looked like a keto rash all over my shoulders and back a week after pepper. I took some pictures but it was way worse in person. And itchy… It usually takes about a week for the reaction to hit my skin and boy did it. There are still marks but they’re finally fading now. It’s been 7 weeks since the pepper. So yeah, pepper is a no. But the good news is it wasn’t a disaster at all, other than my skin. Easy peasy for a reaction.

On my right shoulder was the worst. The pictures don’t do it justice. It was really noticeable in person. I had a spot on my chin breakout, my neck, and then this strange rash on my shoulders.
Sorry for the shitty photos but c’est la vie. These two last photos are recent. It’s taken forever for the marks to go away.

Breastfeeding and weaning and baby:  I stopped breastfeeding August 27th right before the Joe Rogan podcast. It was bittersweet. Scarlett had naturally weaned herself down to just nursing at night, and she was only drinking about an oz. I nursed one day and she immediately threw it up. She never spits up food, but she’d spit up my milk. I didn’t think this was a particularly good time, and it was kind of upsetting. I’m wondering if my immune system is so sensitive that it was bugging her. Who knows. Mom worries. Anyway, weaning was a breeze. I had read about women getting sore boobs and the horrors of stopping breastfeeding but it was easy. I didn’t even notice. Except now I have no boobs again… Throughout my teenage years, I always consoled myself about my lack of boobs by thinking, “at least once I have kids I’ll have them!” WRONG. They’re back to normal.  Literally, it looks like nothing happened (so it could be worse).

Scarlett now sleeps through the night! So that’s HUGE. We crib trained. Crib training was stressful. We did the cry it out method. It sucked. She screamed for 1.5 hours the first night. One hour the second night, 30 minutes the 3rd night, and 5 minutes the fourth night. Now it’s a couple of whimpers and she’s out. Should’ve crib trained wayyyy long ago.

J Peterson update: Dad is still going strong on beef. He reintroduced chicken and thinks it went well, but then he ate some chicken at a friends house that was marinated and had a reaction. It wasn’t even marinated with anything crazy. Garlic, spices, no sugar or anything. The reaction was pretty unpleasant but again, nothing like the reactions that used to happen when we were eating vegetables. He was incredibly anxious in the mornings for about a week and a half. And he told me half of his body was numb for about 3 days. So not ideal? But he’s recovered now. It’s been two weeks. That’s way better than a month of hell like it used to be. I told him to lay off the chicken and reintroduce it again when he’s back from touring. That way it’s more of a clean test. My guess is he can tolerate chicken and he just reacted to the marinade. I cannot tolerate chicken, but we are not the same.

Will update everyone more throughout the week!

133 thoughts on “October Update All Beef Diet and Life

1. BRiTc UK says:

Healthy Carnivores unite!

After reading about Peterson’s glorious Beef diet and Robert Sapoboilsky finally see that eating tubercular beef, Carnivore 100% Beef diet is good for everyone’s health.

• Levi says:

Can you please link to the info about Robert Sapolsky, couldn’t find it. His lectures and thoughts in general make a lot of sense for me.

• Ned says:

In other words, any potentially disturbingly neutral information given will be summarily removed by the thought nanny.

• Relink it then. I don’t care. I’m getting too many trolls in the comment sections. If it keeps up I’ll just turn off comments. I don’t need spam. So be good.

• Natalie says:

Like you don’t have enough to do? Then on top of that, you are doing this out of the kindness of your heart. You want to give people hope, a different perspective, and approach. YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!! These trolls should be ashamed of themselves. No matter how terrible they may be we still would never wish ANY of THESE illnesses on them or our worst enemy. TO ANYONE ON HERE WRITING COMMENTS JUST TO TROLL PLEASE I BEG YOU TO STOP. MIKHAILA HAS GIVEN PEOPLE HOPE WHEN THERE WAS NOTHING LEFT. I CAN HONESTLY SAY I WOULDN’T BE HERE TODAY ON THIS EARTH IF IT WASN’T FOR HER. AFTER MANY MANY YEARS OF SPIRALING DOWNWARDS WHEN ALL I WANTED WAS TO BE ME AGAIN I RAN OUT OF ALL HOPE AND ALL OPTIONS, OR SO I THOUGHT. I COULDN’T DO IT ANYMORE. THE GUILT, ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, AND FEELING LIKE A BURDEN ALL THE TIME BECAME UNBEARABLE. ALL I WANTED WAS TO BE ME AGAIN. TO BE ABLE TO BE THE FULL DAUGHTER, SISTER, FRIEND, WIFE THAT EVERYONE I LOVE DESERVES AND THAT I SO DESPERATELY WANT TO BE AGAIN. THEN I HEARD MIKHAILAS STORY. SHE IS AN ANGEL, WHO WANTS TO HELP PEOPLE BY LETTING THEM KNOW THEY ARE NOT ALONE. PEOPLE DO UNDERSTAND, AND WHEN MAINSTREAM MEDICINE HAS FAILED YOU FOR YEARS THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE YOU COULD TRY. JUST THE POSSIBILITY THAT HER DIET MIGHT WORK, I GUARANTEE HAS SAVED LIVES. WHEN YOU HAVE EXHAUSTED ALL MEDICAL OPTIONS WITH LITTLE OR NO RESULTS, ITS HARD TO PUT INTO WORDS THE FEELING OF GUILT, PAIN, SADNESS, HEARTBREAK ETC.. BY MIKHAILA SHARING HER STORY SHE HAS GIVEN SO MANY HOPE AND FAITH. I KNOW THAT HER DIET MAY NOT WORK FOR ME BUT I AM THINKING POSITIVELY. SHE GIVES ME HOPE, FAITH, AND STRENGTH. I WILL NOT GIVE UP, JUST LIKE SHE DIDNT. IF THE DIET DOESN’T WORK SOMETHING ELSE WILL. MIKHAILA IS AN INSPIRATION. A FEW MONTHS AGO I DIDNT THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE TO FEEL HOPEFUL OR HAVE FAITH IN ANYTHING ESPECIALLY MYSELF. MIKHAILA AND THOSE OF US THAT FOLLOW HER BLOG ARE HERE TO SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER SO PLEASE I BEG OF YOU TAKE YOU TROLLING ELSEWHERE.

• Toronto says:

Natalie,
            As you possibly know HER in real life and not strictly online like the rest of us, this means you can likely give better meat preparation insight for the rest of us who cannot observe the Peterson’s food preparation method in action.

If you can, please do share any more Carnivore insights you have gleaned for those of us also attempting to follow the diet?

I will try to post your observations and progress with the Carnivore Diet so far into a bulleted list to be further comprehended (at least to the best of my ability to understand what I think it is that you are saying:

1) MIKHAILA [by this I assume you are discussing her Carnivore diet?] HAS GIVEN PEOPLE HOPE WHEN THERE WAS NOTHING LEFT

2) WHEN MAINSTREAM MEDICINE HAS FAILED YOU FOR YEARS THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE YOU COULD TRY. JUST THE POSSIBILITY THAT HER DIET MIGHT WORK, I GUARANTEE HAS SAVED LIVES. WHEN YOU HAVE EXHAUSTED ALL MEDICAL OPTIONS WITH LITTLE OR NO RESULTS,

3) SHE [Mikhaila, or her diet?] HAS GIVEN SO MANY HOPE AND FAITH […] SHE GIVES ME HOPE, FAITH, AND STRENGTH.

4) I WILL NOT GIVE UP, JUST LIKE SHE DIDNT. IF THE DIET DOESN’T WORK SOMETHING ELSE WILL. MIKHAILA IS AN INSPIRATION. A FEW MONTHS AGO I DIDNT THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE TO FEEL HOPEFUL OR HAVE FAITH IN ANYTHING ESPECIALLY MYSELF.

I know this is a bad attempt at understanding, but my understanding is that its main value of the Carnivore diet to you is that it gave you hope long enough to look for other solutions in case if the diet alone does not work?

Thanks for sharing your insights.

• Ned says:

Natalie, by far your post has been the most informative description of the profound effects the mysterious Mikhaila meat diet has.

If it is helpful even if for only a short duration that is perhaps a positive sign. So do share more of your experience if you can.

• Toronto says:

Mikhaila,
            It appears as though Natalie has intense faith in either you or hopefully your beef-based Carnivore diet, I cannot tell which.

Normally, I would not think of such presumption as sane that YOU seem to be the focus (for Natalie at least) of a beef-based diet unless perhaps you have bovine chromosomes we are unaware of and grow steak versions of you in a petri dish.

• Toronto says:

Mikhaila, my question is what role do you personally play in Natalie’s success from the Carnivore diet? Is it because she eats the beef, or is it because she has faith and trust in you personally, or is it a combination of the two?

I would really like this for diet to work for all of us as I too love beef. If having some kind of faith in you magnifies the medicinal effect of the beef diet I will be more than happy to think of you in such a positive platonic way if that is what activates the beef’s medicinal value.

• Try it. Or don’t. Either way I don’t care. But if you have no other options… What are your choices? It works for me. If you had physical issues you would understand. Otherwise try the diet or stop bothering people.

• Toronto says:

Natalie’s way appears to have worked most effectively. So far, by applying beef salve to my rash it has reduced inflammation by 60%. Next time, when I am frying up the beef in the tallow I will do as Natalie suggests… to think highly positive thoughts similar to those Natalie has about Mikhaila, who is an Angel that cares enough about us to educate us in her highly effective beef diet. This will certainly achieve remission of my mysterious symptom, which is a scarlet colored ‘autoimmune’ rash.

2. Mikhaila, say you need to add fat to a cut of beef that’s almost entirely lean and you’re trying to completely fulfill your calorie macros with one meal. How do you do it? Chop the beef up, fry it in a pan with a bunch of tallow, and drink the melted fat that didn’t absorb into the beef? I find the amount of fat I’m trying to eat right now nauseating.

• I will follow your advice, but I’d still reeeeally appreciate it if you’d tell me how you eat your fat because I’m attempting a hardcore exclusionary diet like yours and I don’t know if there are better ways than just adding tallow to things.

• If youre still in the first 6 weeks you probably can’t tolerate very much fat! Need to give your body time to start making enough of the proper enzymes. I eat chuck roast a lot in a slow cooker. Steak. And if I eat ground beef I add tallow to it. If I don’t eat lean meat I don’t add any extra

• On Joe Rogan’s podcast you said that your calorie macros were about 20% protein and 80% fat, but ribeye, the fattiest steak, only gets 63% of its calories from fat. If you’re not adding fat to cuts like that it doesn’t sound like you’re actually hitting that estimate. And again, thank you for the swift reply.

• Depends on the ribeye. Most are around 75 percent calories from fat. Not 63 unless you’re unfortunate enough to get a lean cut with everything trimmed off. I eat ribs almost daily. That’s closer to 80. And I cook the steaks in tallow. Chuck roast is pretty good too for fat, and it’s way cheaper. I wouldn’t worry too much about the ratio. Just do what feels best and you’ll slowly work your way up!

3. Samantha says:

That rash – I get that on my shoulders/collarbone too! I had put it down to just gluten, so it’s good to know it could be anything I have a reaction to. Glad to see you back too!

• Ned says:

I read your bulleted list. It makes you appear rather normal.

*Being cautious when walking alone at night might not be bad idea.
        *Hating people isn’t too uncommon.
        *Reading a lot might mean you are smart, bookish or simply a curious person.

Your list:

My experience of depression:
        Whenever I was walking anywhere, especially at night, I’d feel like I was going to get jumped. Someone behind me would suddenly grab me or something. Extremely on edge.
        I felt like I was mourning. Every bit of happiness I had would just be sucked back down into a tar pit of black. I’d laugh but then I’d be unhappy. Smile, then immediate unhappiness
        I was soooo angry. Slow people walking down the block, someone who doesn’t use their signal light, talking in the [etc]
        Constant pit in my stomach
        My shoulders were always raised up, kind of ready for an attack or to protect myself. It would take a lot of energy to straighten up and relax my shoulders.

• Ned says:

The number of males twice your size and routinely carry a gun to protect themselves says otherwise. Terror is a healthy response to an environment that can’t wait to decompose our precious beef supply. Just because you aren’t super happy does not mean you aren’t fairly normal. Unless you have extra stories than the ones you provide. Anyway, but don’t.

4. Glad you’re back, Mikhaila; thanks for the updates on you and your dad. I added chicken back in as well and so far, so good. I am testing out something that seems weird though. I’m not yet 100% sure, but it seems that pink salts like Himalayan pink salt and even Redmonds pure salt might be giving me a reaction. I still find it hard to believe that that is what’s doing it, but as you know, if you’re just eating beef, lamb water and salt, it’s got to be one of those things. I don’t use any skin products or anything like that, so it’s got to be something I consume. I’ll let you know when I’m positive, but I wanted to mention it here in case anyone else is perplexed by what could be causing a reaction. Sea salts are fine so far..

5. Ava says:

Hi Mikhaila! I’m glad you started documenting your health journey and love that you include mom stuff. I miss sleep. I didn’t think I needed it that much until I started having children. HAHA!

So, I have always been interested in all things health-related. It became more intense when I found out my husband suffers from depression. He had a terrible bout after our first child was born, and ever since then, there has been slow but steady progress with the down times, with minimal pharmaceutical drug intervention. He has been seeing the same psychologist for several years now, which seems to be helping. She had him doing Neurofeedback in the beginning, which helped him a bit. He has been taking the lowest dose of Sertraline for several years now. He goes to see the psychologist about once a month. So far, when the depression hits he’ll get about 2 weeks of that, and he’s managed to come out of it without increasing the dose of his meds, He has not tried to modify his diet yet. I want him to do an elimination diet, but started with doing a food allergy test first. He had nothing come up that he is highly allergic to. He had an herb (thyme, I think) that he is moderately allergic to and a mild reaction to a lot of other things like eggs, some nuts, pepper, mushrooms, etc.. Due to the number of mild reactions he has, the doctor suspects he has leaky gut. Something to note .. Just a couple years ago when he was 35, he went to the emergency room because he had food stuck in his esophagus. They did an endoscopy and he was diagnosed with Eosinophilic esophagitis. The doctor believes it’s caused by an allergic reaction to food. The first thing my husband eliminated from his diet was dairy. He started feeling much better several weeks after and doesn’t have a hard time swallowing food anymore. He had reflux as an infant, so I’m not sure if he had reflux because of the dairy-based formula he was given, or if the reflux would have occurred regardless. Also, not sure if the reflux contributed to the scar tissue buildup in his esophagus. Anyway, the food test did not show anything for dairy, which we were expecting given he has felt relief after quitting dairy.

Did the survey last night by the way. I have Hashimoto’s but my thyroid has been resilient and has not been affected as far as my blood work shows. so I’m continuing to manage it with supplements. Taking Iodine seems to help me the most. My last test showed low thyroid anti-bodies, but it’s unreliable given I was pregnant. Now that my youngest is 13 months old, I’m due for blood work this next week and hoping for good results. Although, if they’re not great, I do look forward to trying the all meat diet. I think I could live on rib-eye. HAHA!

Thanks for doing what you do! It’s about time we get closer to the bottom of the auto-immune mystery. 🙂

6. Hi Mikhaila,
    I’ve done HFLC for 6 years now when Dr. Peter Attia was introducing it. After about 3 years, I experienced some excruciating intestinal pains which were only solved with behind the prescription laxatives. It turns out my system needed to have fiber so the solution for me was morning portions of organic psyllium husk to create enough roughage. I realize you may be allergic but believe me, the pain is horrific after several years of no fiber.

7. David Acevedo says:

Hello Mikhaila,
    Do you think that one should stick to all grass-fed beef and organic meats in general. Does it matter if I buy mostly whatever meat is the cheapest? Is there anything about, for example, grain-fed beef that may be harmful?

8. recoveringperson says:

I’ve been on the all beef diet for 33 days now, i’ve improved a lot, but i’m still only 60%-70% symptom free, how long do you think it would take to feel normal again? i read on your blog it took you only a month?

• Roland Freisler is JP says:

recoveringperson,
      Don’t you think that probably depends what exactly you are recovering from? Maybe seek out the correct professional for whatever it is you think you need or ask someone that might be able to direct you. As far as I can tell this Carnivore diet is a highly experimental Beef diet that has undergone no rigorous testing procedures to determine whether it is capable of fixing whatever your unspecified problem is.

“Could there be something i’m doing wrong?”

Yes, you are trusting in someone’s information to be legit just because they have a fancy website and are connected to the authority figure, Petrolson, an overpaid women’s shoe salesman.

9. Josh says:

Greetings Mikhaila,

Have you seen this clip on Rogan with Dr. Rhonda Patrick discussing the Carnivore Diet? My assumption is you’ve been extremely thorough and her suggestions for a modified Keto diet with auto-immune you’ve already tried: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYKqcEzezU

Also, have you tried an Instant Pot pressure cooker instead of a slow cooker? They’re made in Canada, built well and pretty convenient – especially if you’re pressed for time.

Best wishes on YouTube!

• Yeah I was on a modified keto diet for 2 years. It did help a lot but then it stopped working after my pregnancy. I’m going to try an pressure cooker asap, thanks!

• Josh says:

No sweat! I’ve been buying off-cuts from the grocery store for a while now thanks to my pressure cooker and it’s way cheaper. A cup of water + meat, then press a button. Done in an hour. LOL

If you get an 8 quart, you can wrap a chicken in ribs or do a full turkey or roast. Feeds a family of 6. They have a slow cook setting as well, so can make bone broth if that’s an option for you. Off-cuts I find have lots of bone.

Also, have you considered checking rural Ontario farms to buy a grass-fed cow, then have a local butcher process it? Makes lots of variety cuts, controls quality, farm-to-table style, and likely least expensive option.

With a deep-freeze, you can probably provision for months saving grocery store travel. Also, you can split it with family or friends as not sure how much a deep-freeze holds.