Flare-ups caused by a cold/flu and plane rides

So I’ve noticed more and more that when I get sick I get a flare up. I knew this before but it’s changed a bit.

I used to get sick every single time I flew. It would be a fever and it would last about two days. Sometimes it would evolve into bronchitis. Literally every time I flew. It happened to dad too. We’d travel, be in bed for 2 days with a fever, and then be fine. So I started wearing masks on planes and boom, problem solved. It was hard to believe because I thought there was a period of time after you catch something where you don’t show symptoms, and I’d literally be sick as soon as I left the plane (basically). But the mask thing worked.

When I went super low carb I thought I was invincible and didn’t wear a mask on a plane to Europe. I had the fever by the time I got to Prague. It evolved into bronchitis over the next three weeks.

Anyway, now that I’m only eating beef, salt, and water. I feel invincible yet again. So I stopped wearing a mask. Because I don’t learn apparently, and masks are annoying. When I went to Hawaii in May I had diarrhea for about 5 days after the plane ride. I thought it was because of the beef there (I bought beef from Costco). Now I’m not so sure… I’ll have to test out Costco beef again. I think its from the plane ride. I just got back from a family vacation and the same thing has happened. Scarlett caught something too this time which is how I realized what was going on. It looks like that fever I used to get after planes has changed into something else. It’s pretty minor, mostly just diarrhea and an overall icky feeling. I’m getting better now but here’s what happens when I catch a cold or get a flu:

• diarrhea for about 5 days (or other flu/cold symptoms)
  • my skin breaks out (I have a breakout on my chin and chest and shoulders right now)
  • arthritic flare up (my right elbow is killing me and my right big toe is swollen, and I can feel it in my right pinky) this NEVER happens unless I eat something wrong or I’m sick.
  • body odour (I never have body odour unless I eat something wrong or I catch something)
  • minor mood dip and minor lower back pain (these symptoms never show up separated)
  • overall restless feeling
  • Brain fog

I hardly ever get sick on this diet. I used to be sick all the time. I basically had bronchitis most of the time. I’m hardly ever sick and now when I’m sick I can barely tell. But I do get autoimmune symptoms when it happens. And if I’m in a plane, I never get away with it without catching something. How strange is that? Also pretty gross. Anyway, it’s a not a big deal, I’m fine. I’ve been sauna-ing it out. But if you start getting symptoms after a plane ride, same. A medical mask seems to solve it for me.

I’m going to LA next week and I’ll wear a mask and see if it happens again.

Posted in FAQ

74 thoughts on “Flare-ups caused by a cold/flu and plane rides

1. Jim Kennedy says:

I don’t know if this will help. I have been following Dr. Rhonda Patrick and perhaps using a sauna will help. If you already have and it made things worse please ignore my suggestion. Here is something by her.
    Using the sauna 4-7 times per week associated with a 40% lower all-cause mortality. Might be the HSPs! http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150223122602.htm … cc/@tferriss
    (she does foundmyfitness and is a Ph.D in biomedical science/expert on nutritional health, brain & aging. (and no she isn’t a vegan 🙂 )

2. Lindsey says:

My immune system is not adequately suppressed so I almost never get “sick” but when I’m exposed to something that challenges my immune system I have a flare that is severe for about two days. I chalk it up to my ridiculous immune response flaring to knock out the infection.

3. Max says:

Aajanous Vonderplanitz writes about how he wore a mask when he flew because of what you just described. He’s the raw meat guy. You may want to check him out if you’re interested jus to see what has worked for other people. A few of his lectures have been posted on YouTube and the rest you can buy online along with his books. But one thing I’ve been meaning to ask you is, have you tried reintroducing raw unpasteurized milk? Many ‘lactose intolerants’ who have negative reactions to dairy find that raw milk is fine for them once they get past the ‘introduction’ phase where everyone who drinks it the first time has diarrhea for a few days bc your body has to get used to the bacteria in the milk.

4. Fil Vieira-Lee says:

Hey Mikhaila, my husband has RA and ever since I have been using essential oils from Doterra it has made a huge difference. I diffuse every night the On Guard blend which builds your immune system and I use juniper berry oil and frankincense topically on his joints and he has been feeling much better. I use to be a skeptic with oils but now can’t live without them. Hope you feel better soon!

5. Adam says:

Mikhaila,

Off topic, but have you considered adding a forum section to this site? Everyone seems to be asking FAQs irrelevant to each blog entry. It would be helpful to build a community and discuss our experiences. Especially because this – and health/diet in general – is in it’s formative stages it would be incredibly useful. Consider it. I’m sure everyone would appreciate it.

6. Sam says:

I have Lyme and am thinking of trying this diet, only problem is one of my IgG’s is beef, along with dairy and peanuts. Would lamb be a good substitute? I know it’s rare to be intolerant to beef but I do feel kind of sick whenever I eat it so I avoid anyway

• Kai Kamp says:

One of the common conditions with tick bites (especially lone star) is that it gives you a meat allergy (to the alpha-gal)…. I guess you can still eat old world monkeys, apes, or if you’re part of the Donner “party”, humans. Not sure if you have this, but worth checking out, because then lamb wouldn’t cut it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy

• TeeDee says:

Even when beef causes a reaction for a few people, lamb is usually very low reactive for them, so you shouldn’t just lump them both together. I know 2 people with Lyme Disease who thrive on both beef and lamb. People need to try it for themselves and see how they feel.

7. steven v says:

Crazy story, I also had a strong allergic reaction to altitude changes when I went out West for a vacation for a few months a couple of years ago. I believe that dry air and altitude change made me quite ill also, fortunately I don’t get ill on plane rides for such a short period of time.

8. Flo says:

Glad it’s not a full blown 30day auto immune depression reaction!

Have you gotten flare ups from swimming? from accidently ingesting pool/sea/river water?

9. Michael says:

Air Canada has a few Dreamliners and Westjet has recently been advertising that they’re adding one or some to their fleet.