Recreational Drugs and Alcohol and Food Sensitivities

Hopefully, this one won’t get me in trouble but I’ll put it out there because I haven’t found any info on it anywhere else online. And I did google it when I was wondering.

Unfortunately, this inability to consume basically anything except for pure distilled alcohol, water, beef, and salt, also means I can’t do any fun drug.

About two months ago I had a terrible cold, and I can’t take any painkillers so I was laying there (basically dying) and figured I’d smoke some weed. I had already reacted to a puffer months before that but I figured I’d give the weed a go.

I had autoimmune symptoms for about 3 weeks after smoking that joint. They weren’t terrible like trying to reintroduce a new food, but it looks like I can’t inhale anything. Even marijuana. A vaporizer probably would have been a smarter idea but I didn’t have one on hand.

Other drugs:

I’m a pretty open individual and I’ve tried a lot of different recreational drugs, especially as a university student. Cocaine is also a no go. Obviously coke isn’t good for anyone but I can’t do any without three weeks of skin breakouts, joint pain, back pain, and brain fog. Not nearly as bad as a food introduction (funny eh?) but still not worth it at all. Haha, it’s also difficult to feel sorry for yourself if you’re reacting to cocaine… So I do not recommend.

It looks like the only substances I can abuse are bourbon, vodka, and silver tequila. And trust me, I’ve tested everything else out.

Just to reiterate:

Bourbon, vodka (unflavoured), and silver tequila are the only alcohols that don’t have added ingredients after distillation. Bourbon is stored in wood which gives it its flavour and colour but that doesn’t seem to bother me.

Other whiskeys (like scotch) can have added caramel colouring. I react to this. So if you’re super sensitive those are three alcohols that are the least reactive. Silver tequila (gold tequila has added caramel colouring), bourbon, and unflavoured vodka.

Good luck out there. Don’t let anyone complain at you for trying to fix yourself. It’s hard enough as it is.

Posted in FAQ

96 thoughts on “Recreational Drugs and Alcohol and Food Sensitivities

1. Terri says:

I tried making a tea with cannabis scratchings and a bit of the bud, but it still made my face break out in pustules. I was hoping I could use it to help me sleep as I was one of the ones who has a hard time sleeping more than 2-3 hrs when in deep ketosis; it’s better now, fortunately. Ah well, it’s probably better in the long run that we need to stay so clean even if it sucks at times…Thanks for these updates, Mikhaila, it really helps.
    P.S. I’ve been watching a lot of your dad’s videos because I was tired of seeing so many contradictory, love him/hate him comments on my TL on Twitter. I think he’s highly misunderstood and even though I’m a moderate liberal, I agree with the majority of his positions–go figure 😉 Hope he’s doing well, too! I can really relate to so many of his and your symptoms and am just so happy we’ve all found a way out of the nightmare.

• Herb Cochley says:

It triggers arthritis in me. FWIW, the doctor told maybe I could get away with it occasionally, like once a month, but I really need a reason to smoke it anymore. Not a casual thing.

• Hopefully, you’ll either figure out a way to use it when you really feel like you need to, or be fine without it as you keep healing from the diet. 🙂

• Herb says:

Thanks. I have adjusted the diet into a lifestyle at this point. I avoid the allergens, limit carbs to about 20g/day and I seem to tolerate it well. I have little desire for alcohol and really don’t seem to have any real vices left. That was never a goal particularly. As far as weed, I can easily live without it but it is occasionally fun . I tend to be paranoid more than before and find myself making low-carb treats when I’m stoned. Imagine that. So far, no arthritis outbreaks that a dose or two of ibuprofen hasn’t cleared right up. I AM allergic to blue agave cactus…so no tequila for me. Which explains a few things.

• That’s good to hear, then. I’ve cut out alcohol (except for the rarest occasion) because it stalls my weight loss, which I’m still working on. I can’t tolerate anything plant-based right now, but it’s ok, not complaining. I’m just glad there’s beef and water. That’s interesting about the agave. I remember reading somewhere that agave isn’t good as a sweetener because it’s almost pure fructose and taxes the liver as much as alcohol..

• Aes Sedai says:

Vaping lowers your immune system more than alcohol and traditional smoking does. So I am not sure that is the smartest advice to someone who has severe autoimmune disorders… research it.

• Herb says:

If the original vape suggestion was regarding cannabis, the allergic trigger to my arthritis isn’t affected by how I smoke it. Sativa seems to trigger it more, but I prefer it to the indicas. Remember, THC goes to the cannabinoid receptors, and CBD from the indica goes to the opioid receptors. Also, I run every day. The endorphins from running also fo the the cannabinoid receptors and will knock the THC right out of there. So a good runner’s high will sober you right up from a sativa hangover quite nicely.

2. fabian says:

Did you use tobacco in the joint?

i still smoke cigarettes to help with the depression until i get better, now i’m scared i won’t get better on all meat because of that 🙁

3. Dave says:

Might want to edit this entry, focus only on booze and put your observations on rec drugs in an anonymous comment…. Then delete this comment.

• Cory says:

Why? She’s sharing her experience so others can hopefully get some useful information about it, like those that do recreational drugs. I don’t think it should be such a taboo subject…what you put into your own body is your choice and doesn’t make you bad, it’s the actions you choose to do that affects others in a negative way.

• Herb says:

I assume that we are in a forum where children and underage people don’t have access? And we can discuss adult topics like drug use? Am I wrong in that?

4. Kisame says:

Ever consider psilocybin or LSD? I know in addition to mitigating your autoimmune issues, your dietary alterations have also greatly reduced your depression. Coincidentally, research into the therapeutic uses of psychedelic drugs for depression (amongst other psychological conditions) is currently undergoing a Renaissance at places like Johns Hopkins and NYU, and there is evidence that these compounds may even benefit “healthy normals”. Michael Pollan recently released a book on this very topic, titled “How to Change Your Mind,” which is a fascinating read.

• My depression is completely gone. I wouldn’t trust shrooms just because of the amount of it I’d have to consume. LSD transdermally maybe? But later. I’m in a great place and not particularly interested in anything other than bourbon 🙂

• Minor in comparison to a food reintroduction. I had a bit of a mood dip. After about a week my skin broke out, I couldn’t think as clearly, I got a bit stiff in my wrists and my lower back started to hurt. Not worth the weed but not dramatically awful.

5. Rich Durante says:

Hey Mikhaila!

I was looking into different types of bourbons, which type do you drink that you’d recommend being the least mixed with other types of flavoring? Most seem like they have added notes but I’m curious to see if any have affected you? I was planning on experimenting later tonight, for science of course…

• Bourbon doesn’t have added flavours! As long as it’s bourbon (not scotch or other whiskeys). I drink Bulleit, Earl Craig, Basil Hayden, etc.

• Rich Durante says:

I tried some Bulleit the other night along with other Bourbons, I’ve never drank without having zero effect on my mood the next day. I’m typically a Scotch/Whiskey drinker, this….is a game changer!

• Yeah, I like Bulleit too. But man, drink enough water!! Hangovers can be incredibly awful in ketosis. I drink about a pint of water to an oz of liquor. And then more water before bed. And I’ll wake up fine. But if I don’t do that I’m so sick.

• Rich Durante says:

I’m pretty sure I had enough water that night, but I could be wrong. I’m also not in full ketosis yet, as I’m still in the process of eliminating carbs in my diet and figuring out a plan of action. I have several items I consume that could be triggers for my issues.

I’ve been having dry skin and thought it was the alcohol, or occasional herb that I would smoke (also went from smoking cigarettes to a JUUL, which I feel has been almost as bad on dehydrating myself(also quit)) but I’m thinking it could of been the soap I switched to recently that has almonds/random plant based products in it. Trying to maintain a normal social life while not making myself worse mentally is proving to be difficult, but I know it will be worth it in the end! Thank you and your father for the inspiration!