Recreational Drugs and Alcohol and Food Sensitivities

Hopefully, this one won’t get me in trouble but I’ll put it out there because I haven’t found any info on it anywhere else online. And I did google it when I was wondering.

Unfortunately, this inability to consume basically anything except for pure distilled alcohol, water, beef, and salt, also means I can’t do any fun drug.

About two months ago I had a terrible cold, and I can’t take any painkillers so I was laying there (basically dying) and figured I’d smoke some weed. I had already reacted to a puffer months before that but I figured I’d give the weed a go.

I had autoimmune symptoms for about 3 weeks after smoking that joint. They weren’t terrible like trying to reintroduce a new food, but it looks like I can’t inhale anything. Even marijuana. A vaporizer probably would have been a smarter idea but I didn’t have one on hand.

Other drugs:

I’m a pretty open individual and I’ve tried a lot of different recreational drugs, especially as a university student. Cocaine is also a no go. Obviously coke isn’t good for anyone but I can’t do any without three weeks of skin breakouts, joint pain, back pain, and brain fog. Not nearly as bad as a food introduction (funny eh?) but still not worth it at all. Haha, it’s also difficult to feel sorry for yourself if you’re reacting to cocaine… So I do not recommend.

It looks like the only substances I can abuse are bourbon, vodka, and silver tequila. And trust me, I’ve tested everything else out.

Just to reiterate:

Bourbon, vodka (unflavoured), and silver tequila are the only alcohols that don’t have added ingredients after distillation. Bourbon is stored in wood which gives it its flavour and colour but that doesn’t seem to bother me.

Other whiskeys (like scotch) can have added caramel colouring. I react to this. So if you’re super sensitive those are three alcohols that are the least reactive. Silver tequila (gold tequila has added caramel colouring), bourbon, and unflavoured vodka.

Good luck out there. Don’t let anyone complain at you for trying to fix yourself. It’s hard enough as it is.

Posted in FAQ

96 thoughts on “Recreational Drugs and Alcohol and Food Sensitivities

1. Herb Cochley says:

I found out that I am allergic to weed, along with blue agave and peanuts, among other things. I had a reaction of arthritis in my chest that put me in the hospital. Costochondritis they call it. On low carbs, the effects are aggravated, apparently. The doctor told me once a month at the most. Honestly, I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble, so I am pretty much weed free now.

This is an important topic, in my opinion…

• AK says:

I’ve knew one person with very severe autoimmune problems and they found smoking weed was one of the few things that calmed them down (physically) and I don’t think it was a placebo. But everyone is different.

Obviously it could be a number of things in the weed that you are reacting to but it’s very possibly the pollen in the weed buds. I heard some mention **cough cough** that they were working at a desk a few days ago that had a fair bit of weed drying out on it in an open plastic container and they noticed that if it was right next to them when they were sitting at the desk that they would start sneezing. However, that person also mentioned to me that they don’t have hay fever so they might just be reacting to cannabis pollen.

2. EV says:

Thanks for posting. I’m starting to get symptoms of RA and will be tested soon. If positive, I will be going carnivore and I was also wondering about W. Anywhere on your site where others can post their journeys in following along with this diet? The more success stories out there (with data) will help with the nutritional skeptics. Change minds.

3. Beth says:

Have you tried CBD cannabis oil for pain control? I use Avidekel from MedReleaf (Tikun Olam) for inflammatory pain caused by my cancer meds. It is a medical grade oil, used in clinical trials at the Hadasah Hospital in Israel, for various inflammatory diseases.

4. Fern says:

Hi Mikkhaila,
    Thank you for the wondeful work you do, helping so many people.
    I’ve been on a keto diet, almost zero carb, for about two years.I’d like to go carnivore but I feel I can’t afford ribeye every day. Unfortunately that’s the meat I love!
    I use to drink -and love- wine but now I feel awful after having even a small glass. When I read you mentioning bourbon I decided to try it..Omg, what a divine drink..To me nothing compares to bourbon!
    What is your favourite? I guess you’re an expert, I want to try the one you like😘
    Sending love❤️

5. Geno Tessitore says:

I have this issue and have been on the beef, salt, and water diet. For anyone wondering, I absolutely react to cigarettes (I’ve tested this multiple times in an attempt to find any vice I could). The reaction lasts about 2 weeks. I react to smoking pot, even out of a bowl (not sure about a vaporizer). This reaction took only about a week for me. I also definitely react to Scotch. I was given a high end 18yr aged bottle of Scotch and decided to try it. I reacted for 3 weeks from it. And slightly off topic, for the love of god, probably avoid soy. I am in the middle of my third reaction to soy since starting this. It is the worst bout of depression and anxiety I’ve ever had. Feels like being in a nightmare for weeks on end

• Scotch has the caramel colouring added! Every scotch does. Bourbon man! I’m so sorry about the soy. It was my worst one too. Find an infrared sauna and sweat it out. It helps so much. Seriously it’s worth it.

6. EV says:

Are you still breastfeeding? That and alcohol do not mix. What’s in your blood is in your breastmilk. I’m reading neuroscientist Matthew Walker’s Why We Sleep right now, and just read a few pages on it. Chapter 5, he talks about alcohol-laced milk and the suppression of REM sleep on the infant, which they need while developing their neural pathways in the brain. Think about it, and maybe read that chapter! I’m a nanny too, so I know how important the first years are for the child’s development. So much information, so little time. Hope this is helpful.

• I’m not breastfeeding at night anymore. So having a couple of drinks before bed isn’t a problem while breastfeeding. Definitely less dangerous than feeding babies iron fortified cereal 🙂

7. Johnny says:

Oddly enough, I’ve noticed that tripping out (LSD, psilocybin, or mescaline) will often end a flair up for me. I’m not sure if they tweak some of the neurotransmitters in the gut, or maybe there is an overcompensation or immune modulation that happens. Or some of the other compounds in mushrooms and cactus may also act as antimicrobial agents. I’ve had good success breaking RA flairs + fatigue & depression/anxiety with antibiotics and herbal antimicrobials as well as with any diet that starves out bacteria so I wouldn’t be surprised if they affect the gut microbiome in some way.

• I’ve also noticed any kind of cold or virus will ramp up joint pain and symptoms for me. Have you noticed if airborne allergens flair you? Dust, pet dander, mold? I’ve noticed a correlation but it is hard to tell if the flair is causing allergies or if the allergies can cause a flair.

• Yes! When I get sick my arthritis comes back. And body odour.. I haven’t noticed if pollen does it. I’ll find out next spring. I try really hard to avoid it.