Blood Work!

Sorry about the delay!

After eating only beef, salt and water since January 2018 it’s basically completely normal – with slightly raised ferritin levels). That’s 9 months of only meat, and 8 months of only beef, salt, and water. Crazy.

Here are the pictures of the tests:

I’m going to test testosterone next,  just out of curiousity. Comment about what else you want to see and I’ll write it all down and get it tested for the next round.

The ONLY thing that was abnormal was slightly raised ferritin levels. No, I’m not concerned. But this is interesting. People are told to introduce solids to babies when they’re 6 months old because there’s not enough iron in breastmilk and many mothers are anemic. I didn’t introduce solids until she was 8 months. She wasn’t really interested before then. Clearly, I’m not anemic at all. Just thoughts. At the time this blood test was taken I also hadn’t resumed menstruating. That’s a year of no periods. My thoughts are that this also has something to do with the raised ferritin levels but who knows.

What I find the most interesting about this is:

1. My cholesterol is completely normal. I wasn’t sure what the cholesterol would show, and I wouldn’t have been concerned if it was abnormal but it’s not even, so that’s cool.
  2. I used to have high levels of lymphocytes (which is a sign of infection). Now they’re low but in the normal range. That’s amazing. I’ve always had high lymphocyte numbers (and other white blood cell numbers). This is a great sign. I’m really happy about this.

I had my vitamins tested through a naturopath. Still waiting for results. Prior to any dietary changes, I had low zinc, low vitamin D as a child, and as a 20 year old all my B vitamins were low (except for B12). Not ridiculously low but kind of. After going low carb my zinc and vitamin D went up but my B vitamins (other than B12) stayed low. Perhaps the beef, salt, and water diet has fixed my B vitamins. Perhaps they are still low. We will see soon enough.

136 thoughts on “Blood Work!

1. jmes says:

Great to hear about your results, and thanks for sharing! I’m on week 5 of beef-only and I’ve finally turned a corner. It’s still not consistent, but I’ve managed to experience non-depression and elevated energy for the first time in years (frickin ready to cry as I write this)! Relieved and grateful to finally see progress, thanks again Mikhaila.

Regarding the ferritin, you might find Nourish Balance Thrive’s content useful. They talk about using regular blood donations to effectively reduce your ferritin. They did a podcast on it here: https://cl.ly/3K441X2K3P0a, and here’s an email citing the studies and benefits (all cause mortality, cancer, etc.) of donating blood and it’s impact on ferritin levels: https://cl.ly/442E2c1o2J03. Chris Masterjohn details his experience and recommendations here too: https://cl.ly/1y1E242H0R2N

As for blood tests, I think it’d be great if you could get the additional tests needed to use their Blood Chemistry Calculator tool. It takes some basic markers and, using machine learning algorithms, accurately predicts the results you’d get from more advanced testing (from heavy metals, to stool analysis, toxins, etc.). It has very high sensitivity and specificity, and would help elucidate things further without having to spend so much on advanced tests – or at least lead you to choosing the right ones.

If you’re curious, it’d be worth checking out their podcasts on it (their own and where they’ve been interviewed about it) to understand how it works. Here’s my report if you’re curious as to what it looks like (use the sidebar to see the advanced analysis and recommendations): https://cl.ly/tNYu

2. Martha Forrest says:

Hi Mikhaila,
    It would be interesting to find out what your ferritin levels were prior to going on the carnivore diet. Do you have the numbers? The reason I’m bringing this up is because rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism and other inflammatory conditions in the body can raise it. Perhaps it is now lower than it once was. In any event, I doubt you’d have to worry about excessive amounts of iron building up, but keep an eye on it.

3. Matt says:

Ferritin could be a number of things, Alcohol can raise it, so can low vit d. Also, I think the number one condition in all of this is copper, it’s the elephant in the room and no-one talks about it because it’s got such a bad rap, every health guru thinks we have elevated levels. It’s actually the other way around. Most people are deficient in it.

4. Albert Eyd says:

What about a1c. I know Dr. Baker has somewhat elevated a1c but he does eat like 4 lbs a day… But he packing on the muscle so … i dont know.

5. Anne says:

There is a clinic in Florida that helps folks with RA , depression, auto immune diseases. They do many tests and they do not have a one size fits all, like some clinics. Some people did well with vegetable juice only fast like the guy in “Fat Sick and Nearly Dead” . However some were not given a juice fast but told to stop drinking so much soda.

I am thinking of eating one thing for a few days to see if the swelling in my joints go down. I’m glad to see your beef diet is helping , that is wonderful. I will try anything at this point, RA is a lonely wretched disease. I was diagnosed with RA just weeks after having my baby. Congrats on your baby, children make life so much better!Mother Teresa said one of the best gifts you can give your child is a sibling 🙂

6. Kairu says:

So I’ve started this diet after a friend recommended it to me. One thing am trying to find out is can I mix different meats – fish , chicken and beef. I was off beef for a while and am finding the taste a bit weird. But reading your blog seems this is strictly a beef diet is that correct and why only beef?

7. Kristy says:

Thanks for sharing this information Mikhaila. Do you get your inflammation (CRP, ESR) levels checked? Id be interested to see the diet’s effect on your inflammation as I’m personally trying to treat Ankylosing Spondilitis with this diet and my CRP and ESR are an objective indication of my current inflammation levels. Mine have gone down since going on this diet 6 weeks ago 🙂

8. Scott Brewer says:

Would be great if you could get your fathers blood work. I am starting this myself because of the way it helped with anxiety, depression and sleeping troubles. Has anyone used this diet to help IBS?

• Francesca says:

Hi Scott, I have IBS-D and on this diet I don’t have any of my usual symptoms and my bowel movements are finally normal and down to once or twice a day. No more abdominal pain, no more bloating, no more intestinal irritation (burning sensation), and best of all… no more diarrhea or urgent bowel movements which means I don’t have to live chained to a bathroom anymore. And this might be two much information but I’ll add it anyway because it might help others who know exactly what I mean lol – it no longer takes half a roll of toilet paper and 15 minutes of wiping until I almost bleed to get clean after the fact. 🙂

• Scott Brewer says:

Hi Francesca, thank you for replying to my comment. I am 3 days in and already noticing no more pain which is an extreme relieve as I lost my previous job due to the pain and inconvenience caused from it. I have even quit sports that I love and running due to the emergencies. Thanks again and thanks to Mikhaila and her father for sharing their experience, I will definitely be continuing this.

9. Andrew Weisheit says:

If your HDL is above 40 mg/dL and Triglycerides are below 150, you’re fine. LDL and Total Cholesterol are useless markers. Ask Ivor Cummins about ferritin.