Blood Work!

Sorry about the delay!

After eating only beef, salt and water since January 2018 it’s basically completely normal – with slightly raised ferritin levels). That’s 9 months of only meat, and 8 months of only beef, salt, and water. Crazy.

Here are the pictures of the tests:

I’m going to test testosterone next,  just out of curiousity. Comment about what else you want to see and I’ll write it all down and get it tested for the next round.

The ONLY thing that was abnormal was slightly raised ferritin levels. No, I’m not concerned. But this is interesting. People are told to introduce solids to babies when they’re 6 months old because there’s not enough iron in breastmilk and many mothers are anemic. I didn’t introduce solids until she was 8 months. She wasn’t really interested before then. Clearly, I’m not anemic at all. Just thoughts. At the time this blood test was taken I also hadn’t resumed menstruating. That’s a year of no periods. My thoughts are that this also has something to do with the raised ferritin levels but who knows.

What I find the most interesting about this is:

1. My cholesterol is completely normal. I wasn’t sure what the cholesterol would show, and I wouldn’t have been concerned if it was abnormal but it’s not even, so that’s cool.
  2. I used to have high levels of lymphocytes (which is a sign of infection). Now they’re low but in the normal range. That’s amazing. I’ve always had high lymphocyte numbers (and other white blood cell numbers). This is a great sign. I’m really happy about this.

I had my vitamins tested through a naturopath. Still waiting for results. Prior to any dietary changes, I had low zinc, low vitamin D as a child, and as a 20 year old all my B vitamins were low (except for B12). Not ridiculously low but kind of. After going low carb my zinc and vitamin D went up but my B vitamins (other than B12) stayed low. Perhaps the beef, salt, and water diet has fixed my B vitamins. Perhaps they are still low. We will see soon enough.

139 thoughts on “Blood Work!

1. John says:

Your B12 sure looks sufficient! But apparently, it’s always been good for you. A lot of folks are low in B12, even needing injections.

2. Alyssa Cullen says:

I’m really looking to try the carnivore diet, but my boyfriend is highly skeptical. I’ve been sleeping 10+ hours per day for a while now and I also have depression and anxiety that I have been dealing with since I was little. I just want to feel healthy, even if that means going on a crazy diet. I think it will help convince my boyfriend if I show him before and after bloodwork, but what should I ask my doctor for as far as blood and vitamin testing goes? they didn’t seem to know what I was wanting when I called them last time.

3. Lawain C Cooley says:

I’m so thrilled for you, both for your medical health and your happiness and wellbeing!! Thank you for sharing your results! What a transformation! My celiac husband (also big fan of your father) has been on the beef, salt and water diet for a few weeks and is doing very well! He seemed to be more tempted to “cheat” at first but I notice he is finding it easier and easier to resist. I’m going to try all meat after I’m done breastfeeding and having babies although your bloodwork is making me wonder. I consider myself healthy, just a bit pleasingly plump. I get brain fog but I usually blame that on lack of sleep from breastfeeding at all hours. 🙂 Thank you for taking time to share your story and updating us on your health and happiness!

4. Greetings, Mikhaila! You may have heard about my work at CholesterolCode.com or through the low carb/zero carb community.

I did want to give you a heads up that I believe there is a decent possibility that you’ll see your LDL cholesterol (and potentially your HDL cholesterol) rise well above the numbers you post above within the next year or two.

You provide an interesting test case on this as I rarely have someone coming from a place of chronic illness to possible resolution through the carnivore diet — thus, it’s a fantastic, “natural” N=1 experiment. While theoretical, I suspect as your body improves in health (assuming it does, of course), your LDL particle endocytosis will lessen given a lower overall demand by tissues — leading to a higher balance remaining in the bloodstream. How big or small that margin is certainly up in the air, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it even turned out to be very dramatic.

Needless to say, I’m be very interested to see if this comes to pass. And if so, whether your profile will match that of a Lean Mass Hyper-responder (see blog).

• Nice to e-meet you as well, Mikhaila. And may I say personally how incredible your story of recovery is. I certainly hope it continues as it has to this point!

I’m very glad I’ve gotten a chance to let you know about this in advance as this is a phenomenon I’ve seen quite often in the low carb community, particularly with those coming from a metabolically unwell state to a healthy one. Initially, LDL cholesterol can actually drop and remain low for a while until they reach new benchmarks of health and then with great surprise they see their total and LDL cholesterol rise (even though their triglycerides and remnant cholesterol remains low).

I’m far more interested in HDL and triglycerides, even more now than I did when I began this research (it can tell quite a story on what’s going on). And of course, each of these markers in your most recent blood work look very good. Plus, your remnant cholesterol sitting at 11 mg/dL is also quite excellent.

5. steven v says:

Wow, great news!!! I’m going for a blood test in about a week. Now been on the meat diet for about 11 weeks. I was tested 2 weeks into the diet and I had high LDL. Hoping LDL is lower this time. I bet the beef industry would love to hear these stories!!!

6. Glen says:

This is very interesting indeed. May I ask (and perhaps I should read your other posts first) whether you are eating only organic/grass fed ‘high quality’ meat or are these results based on eating any type of meat, organic or otherwise? Fascinating!
    Thanks.

7. Bradford Townsend says:

I am wondering about all the stats that everyone wants to see. The AMA has changed to proper level of cholesterol a few times so how do we know which is correct? I figure if we eat correct it will be what it should be. I am a big fan of you Mikhaila and have started the carnivore diet for one week now and have noticed a big difference already. I find Dr Barry Groves info quite interesting and believable. One thing I wonder about is can we introduce some safe veggies to make it not so bland of a diet and if so what ones? How do you feel about MCT oil?
    Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone.

• Trav says:

Probably best to stick with the diet for a while until you stabalize then experiment by adding in some fruits or veges or whatever and see how you react.

8. Fabian says:

Mikhaila, i was at the doctors office and i noticed i had something very small on my tongue, i couldn’t spit it out cause i was at the doctors.

now i’m super paranoid that it was some plant matter or something and that it will trigger a reaction again, is this level of paranoia unnecessary?

if it wasn’t gluten it would probably be fine i hope?