Day 4 of Carnivore Diet

This post is written by Abby. Thanks for your response! Good luck! Maybe comment on your post in a month to update everyone?

“Hi, My name is Abby and I am 37 years old. I have always struggled with weight, have PCOS, depression and anxiety (although I manage this without medication, as I have learned coping skills). Although I have been a healthyish weight for about 3 years, (5’4 68kg) I do get stomach issues from food, headaches, and for the past 3 months have been quite unhappy and short-fused, even though my life is amazing.

My partner Bret and I saw Jordan on Joe Rohan, and after youtube stalking every video possible about the carnivore diet, we decided to give it a go. Our normal diet is not great, although we try and eat healthy mostly, we also binge eat with loads of Junk. It’s an endless cycle. Definitely emotional eaters.

Anyway, it is day 4… I have still been having up to 4 cups of coffee with 1 sugar in each, but apart from that, everything else is meat, salt and water.

I have lost 2kg in 4 days, and my partner has lost 4kg in 4 days. From the second day my energy skyrocketed and the depression I couldn’t shake for 3 months was gone. I feel like me again.

I know it’s only day 4, and we are aiming to do this for a month. I would like to thank you guys for telling everyone about this. I can’t believe how good I feel already.

I’m making your beef jerky tonight,

Hopefully, soon I can cut out the sugar in my coffee, although I don’t know yet if I could give coffee up, but we will see.

34 thoughts on “Day 4 of Carnivore Diet

1. Deny says:

Abby, I could not drink coffee with no milk or no sugar. Its been more than 2 years, and I can’t drink coffee with sugar. I still put whole milk in it though.

Try it 2 weeks, your taste buds will adapt and coffee will taste better with no sugar. At least that’s what happened to me.

2. Lotan Kritchman says:

Hey Abby! A little heavy crem in your coffee goes a long way! It’s sweet and contains no sugar! Some people don’t do dairy on the carnivore, and I stay away from milk and cheeses but heavy cream has a ton of healthy fat and I think will help you transition to black coffee.

• You could also try whole goat milk. Goat milk is close(r) to human milk and will cause virtually no reaction, especially if you have never had it. Goat milk is the only milk I buy. I do not drink it by the glass, but do put it in the odd cup of tea or coffee. I also use it to cook.

3. Zenbob says:

That sounds great. It’s a slow and gradual process maybe. Having said that, your initial results are proving positive. I am in the early stages . Drink coffee black, no sugar but go for nespresso and pure arabica. Exercise needs to be part of anything Paleo maybe as physical exercise was part and parcel of the Hunter/gatherer culture. Am in France at the moment and last night had one fantastic rare, bloody, entrecote steak. Temptation here is the bread and croissants. Finding it difficult to stay off the grains….

4. James says:

I ate rabbit for 3 months straight. This was because I owned a rabbit ranch and was goin through hard times. Do not recommend

• James, about rabbit. Arctic explorers discuss something called “rabbit starvation” where lean rabbit meat didn’t do it. Diarrhea, etc. NEED FAT. Gary Taubes discusses in good calories, bad calories I think. Look up an Amazon and “Look inside” and do word search

5. Frederick Kermisch says:

Hi Abby,

To replace sugar, try xylitol: same taste and actually good for the teeth!

All the best,

F

6. It’s always good for me to see posts such as these to get a better perspective on how the carnivore diet is faring. I, too, have let go of sugar, grain, and “heavy” starch (corn, potatoes, etc.) in order to get a better handle on my health. Right now, I’m doing what would be considered Ketogenic not carnivore. However, I’m leaning toward doing straight carnivore and am exploring menus for this. I’m encouraged by Mikhaila’s story and others who have come out and talked about their experiences with the carnivore diet.

7. Patty says:

I also can’t give up sweet coffee. I use Splenda, and I know it’s bad and I know use way too much, but I’ve tried all the healthier sweeteners and I flat hate them.

8. Eva says:

I add coconut butter/manna (1/2 tsp – 1); I whip it up with a little handheld frother, or you could mix in a blender (coconut butter is naturally sweet too)… I am in the process of taking a break from coffee; when I did a carnivore diet in the past, went off coffee & felt fantastic (for me; the coffee stimulates my appetite, upsets my stomach, and I find I crave the carbs more)…Goodluck; you’re lucky you have a partner who is joining you. 🙂

9. jimmy h says:

gday abby. try stevia or ghee in your coffee (mixed thoroughly, in a blender or with a frother). has a nice natural nutty taste with just fats and no sugars. glad you’re feeling much healthier! i experienced several of the same benefits too. keep it up.

10. Simone van Breugel says:

I’m happy for you Abby! I am not so lucky. I’m on day five and feel horrible. I have felt horrible since day 2. I have lost 1,5 kilo, but am still depressed, exhausted and fuzzy in the head, while it feels like someone is constantly hitting me with a hammer on the head. I have no energy. My husband and daughters allready think I am nuts for doing this, so continuing is hard. I have eaten ribeyes most meals. One meal I ate raw herring (I’m from the Netherlands, it’s a thing here, we eat raw herring), one meal I ate chickenlegs. I hope it will get better, but right now, I’m not sure I’ll even make 30 days.

• Aw man. Days 8-14 can be really hard. Make sure you’re eating enough! How much ribeye have you been eating? The transition can be really hard but it won’t be like this for 30 days! It gets a lot better after 2 weeks. It does get better!

• Simone van Breugel says:

Thank you for your sweet reply. I’m eating about 230/259 grammes per meal, three times a day and I’m pretty full after each meal. I’m not hungry, while I eat like crazy when I eat carbs, so that’s a plus. When you say “days 8-14 can be really hard”, do you mean it’s going to get even harder in three days? I’m a bit spooked now! My head feels like exploding would be a better alternative and I’m so exhausted. I’m actually taking naps (yeh, plural)
        X
        Simone

• Sometimes people recover faster than 2 weeks. It depends on the person. Make sure you eat enough, and don’t go easy on the salt!! You can do it. 10 more days and it should get a lot easier

• Lotan Kritchman says:

A quarter to a half tea spoon of salt a day (not including seasoning things) helped me with my headaches while adjusting. As for the light headedness, not sure. Were you on a carb heavy diet before this? I was already Keto so it may have been easier for me but I feel that way whenever I go back into Ketosis from a cheat day. Some people let the Keto flu bad, but they come out it feeling great. Give it at least two weeks and see if the problems fade away. If so you know it just takes you longer to get adapted. If they persist maybe this isn’t the right diet for you :/

• Simone van Breugel says:

Dear Lotan,
        Thank you so much for your reply! I tried the salt immediately and the headache is almost gone. This is so much better. And again a lesson. As a child I was taught: eat lots of grains and fibre(bad idea, gluten-intolerant) lots of milk (bad idea). No fat. Little to no meat and skip the salt, cause that’s bad for you. Atkins taught me low carb rules, dietdoctor Andreas Eenfeldt added to that, Mikhakla added to that and now Lotan joins my mentors. I’ve never had Keto flu before, perhaps that’s what this is. I was in pretty bad shape the last year. My depression was fed up with trying to be healthy, cause what’s the point anyway. I started a bit acutely last friday. Last week I was eating my daughters birthdaycake and drinking rum and coke. It’s also unusually hot here in Amsterdam and I’m not used to that.
        Thanks for your help. I’m going to ride it out for a month. I trust you and Mikhaila. I don’t know why, I don’t know you. I just want to kick my depression in the balls once and for all. Hate walking around with that giant black dog.
        X