6 Month Carnivore Update

Tl;dr: I love this diet. I am never going back.

Updates:

Baby:  I’ve caved and gotten a nanny, and she’s starting in 2 weeks. I wanted to do the stay at home mom thing (which is what I’ve been doing for the last 10.5 months) but I can’t do it. There are too many things that I want to be able to do that I can’t do with a baby. Serious kudos to people  (like my own mom) who could do it. Taking care of a baby is a full-time job. And it’s incredibly rewarding but it’s hard when there are other things you’re missing out on. For me, that’s work, that’s the blog and writing. So a nanny it is even though it makes me incredibly nervous. I realize how lucky I am to even have that option. We met someone who seems really bright and really kind and I think Scarlett will love her. She also speaks Russian so Scarlett can learn her dad’s language. We’ve only introduced meat and she’s still nursing a lot. I haven’t figured out what I want to do, but I’m thinking I may consider some vegetables and just see what she’s interested in. I haven’t decided yet.

Ankle: I need surgery. I don’t need to get it re-replaced (THANK GOD), but I do need surgery. After my ankle replacement my fibula was subluxed (slightly dislocated) and so I couldn’t bend my ankle well. Scar tissue grew in really quickly, and bone, and now there’s so much scar tissue that even though my wonderful physio fixed the dislocation, I can’t move my foot. The muscle on one side of my body is wasting away which is horrifying so I need to deal with this ASAP. That’ll be much easier with a nanny as well. Flying out to see a surgeon at the beginning of July, hopefully can do the surgery ASAP after that.

Jordan Peterson: Dad is thriving on the diet. He’s cut out salmon and is mostly eating beef but also some chicken. He told me salmon gives him back pain and makes his voice a bit shaky. Even after all the food weirdness, I’ve been through I had a hard time believing him. But I don’t eat it, and chicken makes me dizzy, so who the hell am I to judge? He has no depression, no anxiety, and no doom in the mornings. If you follow him on Twitter you might notice he’s not as volatile. Last week my mom texted me and said “Jordan woke up with James Brown’s “I Feel Good” in his head. If that isn’t a fantastic sign I don’t know what is. I”m giong to get him to drop the chicken and I think his mood will improve even more. This all meat diet is the bomb.

Mikhaila Peterson: I’ve been doing it for six months now and I swear it just gets better. I have no cravings for other foods, my brain is the fastest it’s ever been, I don’t even mind the sleep deprivation that comes with a baby (she wakes up at night still), I’m energized, happy in the morning, happy all day, and raring to go. The only thing stopping me is my ankle and that should get fixed hopefully soon. I’m getting my micronutrients tested and cholesterol this month. Comment below if you’re interested in certain markers and I’ll add them to the list. This is purely for people’s curiousity, I’m not concerned in the least, I feel great. I’m going to start doing consults (so keep an eye on the blog). Switch it to a pay per consult instead of Patreon. People who have been speaking with me feel better fast enough that we don’t have to keep talking which is amazing. My face is also thinner on this diet (even just eliminating salad). I don’t have as much puffiness in my cheeks. It’s lovely. I look so much more attractive. I was looking through pictures of myself in Montreal in 2012 and I look like a different human.

Hangovers: Hey! Good news, I don’t react negatively to alcohol (only bourbon and vodka – nothing else). It turns out that the minor reactions I was getting were to those hangover pills!!! Which work really well but were giving me symptoms. But my response to alcohol has changed. It used to fill me with energy and now it just kind of makes me slower. So that’s a downer but maybe I’m so fast normally that it’s starting to work like it should, it is a depressant after all. WARNING: this diet is NOT good for hangovers. My tolerance is down, not just because of breastfeeding, and the hangovers are killllllerrrr. Be careful. Go slowly with alcohol. Stick to bourbon and vodka (they have nothing else added – the colour from bourbon is from the cask).

I’ll be updating the blog much more frequently when the nanny starts, and I may even start a YouTube channel! I’m also writing a book (18 000 words in so far!) Exciting times. Doing great. Thanks for the support.

244 thoughts on “6 Month Carnivore Update

1. Dayna Haynes says:

I would be interested in understanding more on why Salmon was giving him issues. Recently I have been craving more salmon on my carnivore journey, but often feel it doesnt agree with me fully.

• We don’t really have any idea. Chicken and salmon don’t seem to make people feel as good as beef. I could guess why, but I’d probably be wrong. But it’s a definite pattern

• Kenn Macd says:

That’s unfortunate, as Salmon (especially wild) is better for Omega 3 fatty acids. Grass fed beef is better for Omega 3 as well. Both farmed Salmon and industrial beef are better for Omega 6 fatty acids. Of course you can always supplement with Krill Oil if that concerns you.

• I would not want to put the toxins/anti-biotics from farmed and in industrial raised meats in my body however. We do become what we eat…garbag in…equates garbage fuel for the body.

2. Jeff says:

I think “scar tissue” can remodel over time with the right stimulus, like tissue work. Have u explored this?

3. Michael says:

Six months ago I too stsrtst the carnivore diet. I only eat beef & eggs.

I have ankylosing spondylitis and IBS for 20 years. I noticed what I ate affect my inflammation and I worked with it. But it wasn’t good enough so after I saw Shawn baker on Joe Rogan I said why not.

90% of my inflammation is gone and 80% of my medications. I went from a daily pain level of 7-10. Some days I could not get out of bed, from sciatics in both legs, bad pelvic pain, lower and upper pain and inflammation now at a 0-2 daily. I can bike again, ski, anything I want.

I take a few natural supplements. For example I kill my gut flora daily with high doses of soursop and replace it with HMS strains.

I have a life ahain both physically and mentally.

4. Hope says:

Thank you for your posts, Mikhaila. I especially appreciate your honesty regarding motherhood. We have 3 babies under 3 and the days can definitely be over-whelming, not to mention time-consuming. A little help from someone you trust is humble. You are unique in that it seems you have been called to both motherhood and the act of mentoring individuals with (or without) ailments. The carnivore diet truly does cure digestive issues, it was only once a dream for me to feel this good. Looking forward to your future posts and hopefully Youtube videos.
    P.S. Do you hope to learn Russian one day too? 🙂 That’d be pretty cool.

5. Bruce Brisbane says:

I’d caution everyone reading these anecdotal experiences not to think they are the common experience, transferable to all.
    That’s what the scientific method is for.
    There’s many reasons for people to suffer severe arthritis when young.
    Some are related to gut disturbances, others to auto-immune diseases triggered by vaccinations, others to being born via Cesarean section. some to sexually transmitted diseases, some to psychological trauma.
    And there’s many paths to settling inflammation in the body. Who here, including Mikhaila has tried a 40 day water fast to allow her body to heal. Many do not realize every time one puts something in their mouth, their immune system goes into hypervigilance mode. Why? Because historically people got infections most by eating bad food.
    I would encourage everyone reading this blog to familiarize themselves with the Blue Zones, multigenerational communities that have a longevity advantage.
    And to think because some symptoms abate when you eat lots of beef to the exclusion of lots of other food, is an insult to science.
    Unless you know what is causing your symptoms in the first place, you are indulging in irrational superstition.
    Some people have hyperactive minds that irritate their immune systems. When their minds are settled with neuromodulators, their immune systems calm.
    Be very very careful determining cause and effect.

• Kenn Macd says:

Good points Bruce. The Blue Zones refer to recent diet and lifestyle and may be a local responses to their location. Unfortunately we can not know what our northern ancestors ate pre-agricultural (pre 10,000 years ago) but using our knowledge of available resources, we can think that we were primarily a animal flesh/fat eating people, especially during the ice ages. So Mikhaila’s diet is not totally out of line, as we would probably not be here if an animal protein/fat diet was inimical to our health. That said, I like your point about fasting, again something we would be wired for as there would have been periods of our existence when food availability would have been a problem. I fast, and it sounds like you do also, and it is very healthy, a beautiful rebuild and repair period of life. Dr. Jason Fung encourages fasting (and a low carb, healthy fat diet) for diabetics, but it actually is good for many diseases (autoimmune of not).
      I’d like to add to your list of disturbances: light frequencies/fields (visible, UV, IR, EMF, magnetism)
      Thanks

• Kenn Macd – definitely good to bring up awareness of the toxicity of electro magnetic fields. In the United States specifically we are exposed to a huge influx of EMFs – and we start so young with children in schools that have WiFi. In contrast, China only allows WiFin their schools for one hour a day….and if a pregnant woman is out on the streets without a protective shield over her abdomen she is fined. They take measures to protect their people and unborn from having “mushy” EMF exposed brains. (This info is from another sympossium I listened to re: Alzheimers, Dementia, and other brain diseases.)

6. Bliss says:

@Bruce Bisbain
    In my humble opinion, there are a lot of good things about your post above.
    I am not a fan of this sentence though: “It is foolhardy to mess with diets that have never been eaten across multiple generations.”
    Sometimes one must attempt something different from what has been done in the multiple generations before.

7. Linda Villani says:

Am thrilled for your overall progress and since I’m on psych drugs for depression and anxiety, I will definitely try this beef, greens diet! I wonder if eggs too would be okay; they are inexpensive. Have type 2 diabetes but my blood work turns out well. Thanks for your blog SO MUCH!!
    Linda in Tyler, TX