6 Month Carnivore Update

Tl;dr: I love this diet. I am never going back.

Updates:

Baby: Scarlett dropped her second nap at the tender age of 9.5 months (a month ago). I’m wondering if the reason babies sleep so much during the day is because they’re usually eating something nasty like iron-fortified cereal (which would also put me to sleep). Sorry I’ve been away from the blog for so long, I’m going to be back full force in about two weeks. I’ve caved and gotten a nanny, and she’s starting in 2 weeks. I wanted to do the stay at home mom thing (which is what I’ve been doing for the last 10.5 months) but I can’t do it. There are too many things that I want to be able to do that I can’t do with a baby. Serious kudos to people  (like my own mom) who could do it. Taking care of a baby is a full-time job. And it’s incredibly rewarding but it’s hard when there are other things you’re missing out on. For me, that’s work, that’s the blog and writing. So a nanny it is even though it makes me incredibly nervous. I realize how lucky I am to even have that option. We met someone who seems really bright and really kind and I think Scarlett will love her. She also speaks Russian so Scarlett can learn her dad’s language. We’ve only introduced meat and she’s still nursing a lot. I haven’t figured out what I want to do, but I’m thinking I may consider some vegetables and just see what she’s interested in. I haven’t decided yet.

Ankle: I need surgery. I don’t need to get it re-replaced (THANK GOD), but I do need surgery. After my ankle replacement my fibula was subluxed (slightly dislocated) and so I couldn’t bend my ankle well. Scar tissue grew in really quickly, and bone, and now there’s so much scar tissue that even though my wonderful physio fixed the dislocation, I can’t move my foot. The muscle on one side of my body is wasting away which is horrifying so I need to deal with this ASAP. That’ll be much easier with a nanny as well. Flying out to see a surgeon at the beginning of July, hopefully can do the surgery ASAP after that.

Jordan Peterson: Dad is thriving on the diet. He’s cut out salmon and is mostly eating beef but also some chicken. He told me salmon gives him back pain and makes his voice a bit shaky. Even after all the food weirdness, I’ve been through I had a hard time believing him. But I don’t eat it, and chicken makes me dizzy, so who the hell am I to judge? He has no depression, no anxiety, and no doom in the mornings. If you follow him on Twitter you might notice he’s not as volatile. Last week my mom texted me and said “Jordan woke up with James Brown’s “I Feel Good” in his head. If that isn’t a fantastic sign I don’t know what is. I”m giong to get him to drop the chicken and I think his mood will improve even more. This all meat diet is the bomb.

Mikhaila Peterson: I’ve been doing it for six months now and I swear it just gets better. I have no cravings for other foods, my brain is the fastest it’s ever been, I don’t even mind the sleep deprivation that comes with a baby (she wakes up at night still), I’m energized, happy in the morning, happy all day, and raring to go. The only thing stopping me is my ankle and that should get fixed hopefully soon. I’m getting my micronutrients tested and cholesterol this month. Comment below if you’re interested in certain markers and I’ll add them to the list. This is purely for people’s curiousity, I’m not concerned in the least, I feel great. I’m going to start doing consults (so keep an eye on the blog). Switch it to a pay per consult instead of Patreon. People who have been speaking with me feel better fast enough that we don’t have to keep talking which is amazing. My face is also thinner on this diet (even just eliminating salad). I don’t have as much puffiness in my cheeks. It’s lovely. I look so much more attractive. I was looking through pictures of myself in Montreal in 2012 and I look like a different human.

Hangovers: Hey! Good news, I don’t react negatively to alcohol (only bourbon and vodka – nothing else). It turns out that the minor reactions I was getting were to those hangover pills!!! Which work really well but were giving me symptoms. But my response to alcohol has changed. It used to fill me with energy and now it just kind of makes me slower. So that’s a downer but maybe I’m so fast normally that it’s starting to work like it should, it is a depressant after all. WARNING: this diet is NOT good for hangovers. My tolerance is down, not just because of breastfeeding, and the hangovers are killllllerrrr. Be careful. Go slowly with alcohol. Stick to bourbon and vodka (they have nothing else added – the colour from bourbon is from the cask).

I’ll be updating the blog much more frequently when the nanny starts, and I may even start a YouTube channel! I’m also writing a book (18 000 words in so far!) Exciting times. Doing great. Thanks for the support.

198 thoughts on “6 Month Carnivore Update

1. Rachel Annello says:

I’m looking to start this diet because of everything I’ve heard from you, your dad, and Shawn Baker. I am wondering – do you drink bourbon and vodka straight? Any tips of things to dilute, or do you just use water? Thanks!

2. Hi Mikhaila, have you done a blood test done for far or your dad Jordan Peterson? I’m really cursious weather it is fine or not after only eating meat.
    – Robert

• Michael says:

Some insight, I got my blood work results back 3 weeks ago for Kidney,liver, cholesterol etc, all of it. I have been carnivore for 6 months prior to getting my results. My RH has me get my blood work done every 6-7 months. My GP called me in for my results and all he said was “WOW, this are perfect”. He doesn’t know I am carnivore as I fear the second I tell him I will hear all the negatives of it. So for now I tend to keep it that way.

However that said I am the same person who took 4000mg-6000mg of advil a day for 18 years prior to my diagnosis and I have no damages where most should. Each person will vary so as I have no side effects doesn’t mean you wont.

• Joel says:

That’s pretty incredible.
        I wonder if there’s a correlation between plant intolerance and Neanderthal DNA? They were strict carnivores, weren’t they? Ha, that’s pretty speculative, but if your family ever does a “23 and Me” DNA analysis or something, let us know if you find anything interesting.

• Michael says:

I’m going to say yes as sugar and carbohydrates really affect my disease and based on the research I have done there is a connection with the cross breeding with Neanderthal.

But yes I think I want to check.

• Wow @Michael this sounds crazy good, thanks for sharing!. Do you have any source of your diet plan or did you create it by yourself? Like which meat you eat, what fat percentage it should have, how many calories to hit.
        – Robert

• Michael says:

When I saw that YouTube video of Joe Rogan was Shawn Baker that is that is when I decided to go full carnivore. Prior to that I was listening to my diet as when I made changesI had improvements but the pain always came back. It Came back because my tolerance was lower the food I was eating affected me even more in small amounts

I can’t recommend my diet as I eat 4000 to 7000 calories a day. I only eat ribeye or steak and eggs supplementing with avocado oil for fat. My job is very physical which is why I need a high calorie diet. I don’t work out but when you look at me you would think I was lying. I’m 5 foot 10 and I was 175 lb and I now weigh between 146 and 149 pounds.

3. Emily C says:

Hi, Mikhaila! First, I want to say THANK YOU to you and your dad for making this a public journey. My husband and I are finding it extremely interesting. I’m currently on AIP (with reintroductions, but am in the process of re-cutting things out) and both he and I are considering trying at least the meat and greens diet — I don’t think I am “ready” to go full meat… yet. My big question about full meat is kind of a personal one so I get it if you don’t want to discuss it, but I’ve got to ask. What does zero carb (zero fiber) do for “digestive elimination” (eg pooping)?? The reason that I ask is because I have an internal fissure that gives me near constant annoyance and I have to be really careful because I get constipated soooo easily. It is basically a rare thing for me to have a comfortable BM. Can you shed any light on this for me? Or, can anyone else provide information? Thank you!!!

• Isaac F says:

Hi Emily C,

I found some additional useful information here https://www.onnit.com/academy/the-carnivore-diet/

It says

“Because it’s similar to a ketogenic diet, and we’ve already shown that meat isn’t to blame for heart disease, it appears fair to consider the carnivore diet safe for most people—at least in the short term. However, if you’ve ever seen the movie Beverly Hills Cop, there’s one question you’ve been dying to ask: is all that meat going to get stuck in my gut?

In the film, one character reads a (fictitious) article to another, citing science that claims that “by the time the average American is 50, he’s got five pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels.” Based on this one scene in a popular movie from more than 30 years ago—and an Eddie Murphy comedy at that—the urban legend has perpetuated that beef somehow blocks up your intestines, colon… you name it.

However, just as you can’t disable a police car by shoving a banana in its tailpipe (another bit of wacky science from the movie), your body won’t choke itself to death from eating rib-eyes.

“Like most foods, meat is absorbed in the small intestines before it reaches the colon,” says St. Pierre. “The idea that meat gets impacted in your GI tract is silly.” It’s possible to get a bowel obstruction due to disease or physical injury, “but red meat isn’t something that blocks your GI tract.” Since there isn’t much coming out, people who have small bowel movements tend to assume that waste is getting stuck inside them. But St. Pierre says that small movements, including those of carnivore dieters, are simply due to low intakes of fiber. “Fiber adds bulk,” he says. So the reason your poop is small is because it doesn’t have veggies in it.”

4. Miguel Fonseca says:

I don’t know if you will read this in time (or at all), but I would try testing by order of relevance:
    Prolactin, TSH, RT3, E1S, E2, E3, Progestrone, LH, FSH, PTH, DHEA, Vitamin D, Cortisol, Liver enzymes (ALT, AST, ALP, GGT) I am willing to bet my right arm that some of these will be out of range.

Also relevant: Serum Iron, Ferritin, Transferrin saturation <- If any of these comes out high, I would back off the red meat or consider something that chelates iron.or binds iron and prevents absortion (ex: coffee, parsley, low dose aspirin, Inositol hexaphosphate, etc)

I would also try bone broth to see if it can fix the permeability of your gut and/or low dose antibiotics (quarter of a normal dose daily of Doxycyclin and/or Penicillin VK) for some time, then trying to reintroduce problematic foods again to see how things go.

5. stanstaykov says:

Hello Mikhaila,
    Great post,I will be trying this diet for 30 days as well.

If you could test the following markers I will be really grateful:
    1. Uric Acid (Blood, Urine) – Ketogenic dieters produce an extra 1 to 3 g/day uric acid from protein metabolism.
    2. TSH, free T3, free T4 – Prolonged Ketogenic diets tend to produce an abnormal thyroid profile.
    3. Homocysteine – The carnivore diet delivers a very large amount of the amino acid L-methionine which is known to increase Homocysteine levels, which is in turn a risk for cardiovascular disease.
    4. Since you are not eating liver I’d be interested in your Retinol (Vit. A) and Copper levels as well.
    5. If you would be willing to go the extra mile, a VIOME test would also be great to determine your microbiome health.

Cheers,
    Stan

6. Nigel Piper says:

I used to follow this blog because I have arthritis and was interested in a diet that would alleviate the symptoms but you’ve gone down the confirmation bias rabbit hole. People have asked multiple times about specific issues with this diet w.r.t. arthritis and other inflammations, and you’ve ignored them, while exaggerating the benefits. Sad to hear, but this is nothing but marketing now.

• Ville Raatikainen says:

Considered the fact that she might just be really busy? In addition to that, this post alone has 142 comments and most of them involve a question, so I don’t think she’s going to keep replying to every single one.

• Nancy says:

Vile – she is really busy, baby etc. that’s why this blog is not well attended by her. That’s why I cannot follow it because it’s not got enough guidance or support.

• Ville Raatikainen says:

Nancy yep! The carnivore diet is relatively simple though! Only fat oxidation needs attention and fat:protein ratio need to be tweaked to suit you. I would be happy to help with anything if you want! I’m currently on the diet, 31 days in, to solve a list of issues and I’ve done a ton of reading and experimenting this year and ended up to this diet like many others. And at the moment I have nothing but spare time :p

7. Fernando says:

Fan of you dad, last rogsn interview he mentioned you blog, and i think im gonna try it, ant least the greens and meat, just started yesterday and already run out of things to eat hahaha

8. Maija says:

I was just listening to a somewhat critical discussion about ketogenic diet, and they were talking about “inflammatory fats”. Doctor O (neurosurgeon, nutrition specialist) said for his patients who are “aggressive red meat eaters” inflammatory markers are high, so even if they look good and their lipid profile has improved, they’ll have elevated “esoteric inflammation markers” : CRP, IL-6, TNF-alpha were the ones he mentioned. He recommends his patients use avocados, olive oil, nuts as a source of fat instead of red meat because of this.

It’d be neat to hear these results from you, Mikhaila, because you would definitely count as an aggressive red meat eater, even though you don’t survive on bacon and cheese. (And perhaps there’s a difference there, or in only eating red meat.) I can imagine you personally won’t be risking it and going back to avocados and olive oils even if certain markers are high, but still it’d be interesting to know. I also wonder how much regular fasting might help with possible inflammation due to red meat…

Here’s the conversation (at 18 minutes or so).

9. Hi! Thank you for all the information you are sharing with us! I have a rather strange question, but still it is important to me: Would you share what are your and your father’s blood types? I am interested in this blood-type diet thing and was wondering what do you think about it?

10. Frank says:

Mikhaila,

I recommend that you check out the research of Grant Genereux, who presents a truly “out of the box” theory that explains what caused your autoimmune diseases (and fatigue and depression) and why your elimination diet was a miraculous cure.

In short, it’s because you’ve eliminated a substance from your diet that’s essentially an unknown toxin. It’s recognized to be toxic in excess, but what Grant has figured out is that it’s even more toxic than previously believed, and that once the body exceeds its storage capacity for this substance even by means of normal doses, it begins to wreak havoc on our health.

I hope you give his research a chance, because once you read it, I think everything will “click” for you. You can read it here:

11. Hi Mikhaila,

I’ve very interested in this. During university they thought I was narcoleptic. I started reacting to foods in 2012 and thought I must have a corn allergy because it’s in everything. A couple of years ago more autoimmune symptoms like chronic tendon pain started. Also anxiety, mood swings, etc. Anyway, I’m going to try the low carb thing and see how that goes. Thoughts on probiotics to restore the gut biome?

12. Brian Lysne says:

Hi Mikhaila,
    What kind of arthritis did you have? I have psoriatic arthritis and am wondering if the carnivore diet would provide relief.
    Thanks,
    Brian

• Scott Knowles says:

Hey Brian,

I was also diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis a number of months ago and have followed this blog to scan for useful knowledge. My biggest concern with something this aggressive is the long-term sustainability and impact on overall health. That being said, I tried a ketogenic diet for roughly two weeks (not long enough, probably) and didn’t feel my inflammation and overall pain/soreness/fatigue improve. After months of debating over it, I caved in and began taking Methotrexate per my rheumatologist’s advice. I am only four weeks into the MTX treatment, but was told symptom relief can take up to three months. I am still holding out hope, and will also be making an effort to really test a carnivore diet in the near future. If you ever want to talk about your situation, let me know!

On a side note: I’d also love to learn more about Mikhaila’s current health levels, particularly how her lower back pain has improved (if it has). Hope she chimes in on your comment! Best wishes.

Sincerely,

Scott

• I had ideopathic. First I was diagnosed with rheumatoid, then psoriatic. They were never sure. I don’t think the type of arthritis matters. It’s worth a shot!

• Brian Lysne says:

Thanks for the info. I was diagnosed with arthritis, but I self-diagnosed it as psoriatic because I’ve had a couple obnoxious bouts with psoriasis. Do you know of any positive results of this diet on psoriasis?

13. Wulfgar says:

Hey guys. I have a question to people that follow this blog and diet little closely: can you eat cheese and eggs?

14. I’ve done a hell of a lot of research on this(close to 10 hours now), any medical studies for and against the diet. I have read a lot of the testimonials, all different kinds. Looked for other resources, whilst i trust in Jordan (I’ve always been driven, but was held back mentally, listening to him really helped) and therefore trust his daughter by proxy, it’s always best to cover your bases.

My dad “has” fibromyalgia(or so the doctors say) – It took 10 years for them to diagnose him – fibromyalgia is just a term for you have chronic pain, but we have no idea why. He is close to 20 years now with it, nearly all my life, he has been getting worse and worse and it’s killing me to see it, I avoid being in too much contact on occasion because i see how painful it is for him, he was in a crash that set it off(which i know can happen with auto immune diseases/responses) – the worst is people don’t even believe him, as it comes across as him just wanting to be lazy.

To the point, this is, by far i believe my dads best chance right now, i have looked into all sort of treatments cannbis, ketamine medical comas etc. I am getting him on the diet. He strongly fits what some other sufferers had before they were on it.

Thanks for being a resource – if successful (which i really hope it is) i’ll give a testimonial

• HI all, I have been looking into Fecal Microbiota Transplants as well, it is worth some research.
      Combining this with a high / meat diet may have benefits.
      I am finding that people who do it with the source of the matter being the key, are having success with treating both diet and mental health problems.
      Here is Link to a video of a Woman who treated her depression by fixing her gut bugs over here in Australia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMjy5yEhZ5Q&t=0s&index=4&list=PLnDR6CiKO0bKVIO2uLqc_oY4wstjB44dv

• Tyler says:

I started to develop autoimmune issues (itchy acne, insomnia, depression, bloating, diarrhea) after large doses of antibiotics 4 years ago. I did a strict candida cleanse diet (with no grains) for months without much improvement. Commercial probiotics also didn’t help. The only thing that helped with the itchy acne was antifungal drugs, but it came back as soon as I stopped taking them.

Finally,1.5 years later I started doing home fecal microbiota transplants (FMT) with the capsule method. After about 6 doses over a 3 month span my symptoms all resolved! I still avoid most grains, but am able to eat them on occasion with hardly any side effects or GI upset. Replacing my gut bacteria (which was damaged from the antibiotics) with FMT has worked wonders for my autoimmune symptoms!

• lea roy says:

Interesting. Where and how did you manage to get an FMT ? Do you have to pick a donor yourself ? I live in France and I haven’t found any clinic that does that.

• Tyler says:

In the US they only treat C. Diff with FMT, so I had to use my wife as a donor and do it myself. A reference I found very helpful was thepowerofpoop.com. The capsule method worked much better for me than enema method.

15. Mike Wyman says:

Hi, Do you eat eggs? I don’t seem to be tolerating them, but might just be me And have you tried Zevia soda?

16. Hey Mikhaila, I watched an interview with you and have been following your Dad for a while. I just wanted to say thanks for putting this information out there, I have been going through the same types of inflammatory issues for a while now and this info has been a light in the darkeness!

17. Levi says:

Hi Mikhaila, it’s great the you’re shaking up the food industry by showing people what a carnivorous diet can do for your health. I think you’re inspiring so many people to look into their diet and most important of all, start listening to their own bodies.

I’m wondering, how do you cook steak when you can’t use olive oil anymore due to your autoimmune response?

18. Thanks for your research and trial and error on this. Stumbling across this website is what lead me to start the diet changes as a last resort to help with some issues. Ankylosing spondylitis, (hla b27 neg) and Enbrel has really helped pain and joint damage reduction, but the weirdest issues with dread and anxiety have been a severe problem the last 2 years. Gluten free since 3/1 with good results, but not where I want to be yet, so today I’m doing beef and water for 30 days. Bring on the filets and ice water.