9 thoughts on “Healthline Article

1. Eva says:

Good getting the word out; “lead by example” right. Looked at the university article too; yes exciting but the whole “quick fix” pill thing frustrates me! As for having a quick mechanism to decrease & stop inflammation in head trauma, and other emergencies, then that’s a great thing! As for keto & just eating meat being an anti-social lifestyle; let’s change that (there are paleo only restaurants, like Hu, around now, and they are making big bucks);perhaps someone will jump at the opportunity to have a carnivore chain of restaurants (with good sourced meat, and options to have/have no spices on your meat, etc.). I know if someone started a meat-only restaurant, it won’t be lacking for customers (“if you build it, they will come”). 🥩😜

2. Cory Hickerson says:

I think the idea that this is a “diet” for you and your father is the wrong way of looking at it; it’s a way of life. Literally, I see it as giving you your lives back, (from what you’ve shared with us, the public) and that the only reason you’d share this information with us is because if it could help but 1 other person, it would be worth the scrutiny from “health professionals.”

• Cory Hickerson says:

I think it’s so taboo to talk about diet with people that anyone who is willing to say “this worked for me” is going to have unlimited people questioning it. Which doesn’t make sense to me in the sense that, does their questioning mean they think I’m lying or being facetious? Obviously you’ve been trying one thing after another (including what the health professionals recommend) and stopped to continue this path and can now say “this is the thing, this thing right here.” Unfortunately it took this long to figure it out. The more I think about it that scrutiny must be so miniscule compared to what you’ve endured up to this point, it doesn’t even register a negative effect. Keep it up! Also thank you for your recipes, they are great!

• steven v says:

It is funny that for about a decade I became vegetarian and never received great vitality. I thought that not doing any harm was a good way to live. So I wouldn’t be killing any animals. But the thought of if I am not going to eat meat then what is the real purpose of the cow on this planet? That question always bothered me.
          Now I believe that maybe the cow is supposed to make the ultimate sacrifice to give us all a better and healthier life. Is there a more sacred deed to give your life so that others may thrive? Maybe the biblical personas knew this all along.

• Miloš Marinković says:

Yeah I think there shouldn’t be ethical questioning about the food we eat. Of course, we should question the way we produce the food and make the animals unnecessary suffer.
            Some vegetarians/vegans will thrive on their diet, and some will feel fatigued.
            That leads us to the point that everybody has unique need for foods. There’s no universally healthy diet and the paradigm shift that is coming in waves is gonna change that forever. Mikhaila is one of the people that isn’t afraid to tell what has worked for her and she is contributing to spreading awareness about food and how we should figure out what works for us. All these FAD’s are bullshit because they delude people into believing that it will work for everybody.
            I tried the carnivore diet because I hoped it will help me erase fatigue out of my life, but unfortunately, fatigue became even worse and I quit after month. So, yeah, we all have are own unique quest on finding what works for us, and we should experiment just like Mikhaila did it. People are lazy and their want their quick fix, but there’s no other way around then mindfully experimenting with foods and listening to your gut.

• Did you include dairy? It takes three weeks to adapt to the carnivore diet. And if you don’t eat enough (generally at least 2.5 pounds a day) you can get tired. Or not enough fat.

3. Charles Miller says:

Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, the researcher quoted in the Healthline article, is co-author with Stephen D Phinney, MD, PhD of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. Their book addresses all of the concerns (misinformation, really) mentioned in the article. The effect on heart muscle, for example, and the ability of people to follow a keto diet long term. They cite not only historical examples such as the Masai, Innuit and American Plains Indians, all of whom followed a high fat, very low carb diet, but also the example of arctic researchers who lived over a year on a native diet of primarily blubber with plenty of energy and no ill effects whatsoever. Even elite professional cyclists, the one group we’ve been led to believe absolutely must load up on carbs, have been tested and shown to perform at least as well on a high fat, low carb diet.

Its particularly ironic to hear the complaint that keto can only be done short term, especially in light of the fact that it can take several weeks for a person with insulin intolerance from years of eating too much carbohydrate to fully adapt to a high fat diet. Their book cites numerous examples from the scientific literature of studies with misleading (a few deliberately so!) conclusions resulting entirely from the fact they were not conducted over a long enough amount of time!

The situation is such that almost a third of the book is devoted to an examination of the history of high fat/low carb diets, with another third explaining the biology and science in great detail. The final third of the book covers practical considerations of diet plans and recipes.

It strikes me as odd that a writer would quote a PhD such as Volek and fail to mention his writing a book so central to the subject at hand. But that I guess is nothing compared to the oddity of questioning a diet most humans have not only survived on but actually evolved and adapted to over many tens of thousands, if not millions, of years.

For those who want to really understand the science of a low carb diet, I can highly recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.

4. No low carb review article would be complete without an RD coming it at the end and spreading FUD. The idea that these diets are “experimental” and require medical supervision to me is ludicrous. And did they really bring up scurvy? Nobody, I mean nobody, that has eaten a diet of nothing but fresh (not canned) meat has gotten scurvy. Sailors who had been at sea for months eating potted dehydrated pork and beans got scurvy. And all it took to hold that off was a shot of lemon juice a day.

There is no evidence such diets lead to deficiencies of any kind. If they did, such evidence would be readily available as the experiments on people (not mice) have been done again and again. There is also no evidence whatsoever we need grains or we will get sick, this is also promoted by the same people, RDs.

One thing I have noticed in years of following and reviewing low carb anecdotes and science both is that RDs with a Bachelors universally hate on keto diets, where those with PHDs are generally very supportive of keto and low carb and are very open to carnivore diets. Those who study micro-cellular nutrition likewise seem very open to keto.