Meat: proof it’s the real super food

This post is written by Mimi DiSimone. Thank you so much for contributing!

“I’m mid-fifties female. Overweight, prediabetic, fatty liver, severe spinal stenosis which leads to many other problems such as chronic debilitating pain, lack of sleep (which opens the door to even more problems: brain fog, cognitive function, etc…) Have tried to eat vegetarian, raw. Through this, I found an intolerance to many veggies, fruits, grains, beans, and legumes.

Dear Mikhaila,

I have been following a strict keto diet for about 40 days, mostly for weight loss, but hoping to get healthy also as I felt a lot of my issues were related to my weight and probably poor eating. My husband also began eating keto with me.

I hit a plateau and wanted something to do to start losing weight again, when I saw your post on dietdoctor.com. Zero carbs?? Meat only?? could this be the answer??

Along with keto, I also starting using orthomolecular medicine (in short it is mega-dosing vitamins) to relieve pain from my pinched nerves. I will try to make this brief but this is a very important fact.

I had read that in a pound for pound comparison, meat has more nutritional value than fruits and vegetables, making it the real “super-food”. And I have proof of that.

When mega-dosing, you have to find your tolerance level of the vitamins you are taking. After only THREE MEALS of meat only I HAD TO LOWER MY DOSAGES!!!

How did I know?? Let me try to briefly explain with 2 of the vitamins I take, niacin and C. Niacin you know your dosage level because you “flush” and sometimes itch, then you take a little below that amount. With vitamin C you get to what is called “bowel tolerance”…which is exactly what it sounds like…when you get to an amount when your stomach is grumbling (or it makes you go to the bathroom) you go a little below and take that amount. This is also when you know you need to lower these dosages for monitoring/healing purposes. After my second meal, I noticed slight flushing and grumblings (It was enough for me to take notice and originally thought I measured my dosage wrong…I have powders that I take 3 times a day…but then I took them again after my third meat meal and the flushing was way worse and I was running to the bathroom every time I felt like I had gas!!!! (funny I know, but not funny!!).

Anyway, I am now a firm believer that this is healthy and meat IS the real super-food!! Thank you for being so brave and strong for sharing your story!

Just so you know, this is the first time I have ever been compelled to post anything anywhere!! You are truly an inspiration!! By the way, after 2 days, I started losing weight again!

Sincerely,

Mimi DiSimone”

12 thoughts on “Meat: proof it’s the real super food

1. Lynne Dear says:

Right on! I’m 63, had a total hip replacement on Thursday. Today is Sunday. Four mornings later. I am no longer walking with a walker and I’m cleaning house and cooking! I eat mostly meat.. a rare avocado pops up on the plate, sometimes, but it’s mostly meat and I purposely went meat only one month prior to surgery.. I didn’t want my body to spend a lot of time digesting food.. I wanted my body to heal my hip… And I do believe that is exactly what has happened.. My body is busy fixing my hip and adjusting…. while very little thought and time is put into digesting the meat I have been eating…..

Yes.. meat is the food that humans require for a healthy existence.
    Lynne

2. Terri says:

To both Mimi and Lynne: Wow. You’ve both inspired me to keep moving toward a meat only diet. I’ve been on a ketogenic diet for a while, but have stalled weight wise and still have some issues with breakouts on my face, complete with redness and inflammation. It seems that whether I like it or not, my body is telling me, “enough with the plant foods, already!” (I’m 61, so it’s always extra inspirational to hear from peeps in my general age group 🙂 Wishing you both continued health and well-being..

3. Encouraging for sure. I am sixty-nine and discovered your blog Mikhaila through your Dad’s work. Dr. Peterson is a living example of finding a health groove that works for him. He seems to glow when he’s presenting even when he must be tired. I’m pleased you are doing so well and are sharing your experiences towards gaining better health.
    It’s been a week since clearing out my cupboards of the white stuff, etc. and turning around my eating habits full circle. I’ve linked to some other sites for more info as well.
    The days are early, but I feel compelled to write as another grey hair beginning to benefit from an altered diet. I’m struck at how hooked one is to the traditional menus loaded with all the wrong and altered ingredients. I’ve had some cravings, but have managed to dodge the sugar bullet as I’m determined to feel better. I refer to your food list often. I’m thinking summer is a good time to begin the journey. Longer walks, a swim or two each week, and sunshine are being added to the mix. Thank you for sharing your readers’ comments and especially for your stories and insights about a new way of eating to sustain a healthier life. Ready to carry on and will report back in a few months with how I’m doing. All the best in health and happiness…

4. chris says:

I’m glad everyone posting here has had beneficial effects. I have two questions:
    1. How do you eat this way with a family (adults+kids)? I can’t believe you’d have everyone on board the same all-met diet.
    2. How do you get the requisite fiber in your diet? Is fiber unnecessary?

• Terri says:

Like any other situation in life, it simply takes making the decision to eat what you want, despite what others around you are eating. Many have been on mainstream weight loss diets for years, while also cooking for family members or eating at the same table with others. You simply fill up your plate with meat(s), while the other family members fill their plates with what they want. As for fibre, there are books out with such titles as The Fibre Menace–and many more– that will explain that fibre is not only unnecessary, but can be quite irritating to our intestines. Hopefully, others will have some insights for you, as well 🙂

• Mimi says:

If you have access to Netflix watch the “Magic Pill” where they get autistic children to eat a Keto diet. I have a grandson that is a carb fiend, but has no problem eating meat-only when he is with me. He actually likes the idea, cuz he hates most veggies. I have 3 adult children that live with me that are all switching over to Keto (my husband still eat this way) but it is very strict…I make portions of 100 grams each of meat and a green veg…(they are very athletic…my husband eats 2-3 of these most days) if they are still hungry they don’t eat more veggies, they eat more meat (by choice) and often just eat meat because they are starting to feel better with it.

Of course, you can’t force an adult to do anything they don’t want, but can’t deny feeling better!

I have no problem with going to the bathroom on Meat-only especially if I have eaten enough fat. I’ve taken fiber before and it NEVER helped me…

• Chris says:

Thanks for replying. Can you give me some suggestions for greens? Roasted broccolis about all I know how to make.

• Mimi says:

Sure, I keep it really simple…we eat green beans, broccoli, cauliflower (not green but from same family) mixed greens and Brussels sprouts…i roast all these in oven (cuz it’s easy) except the greens and green beans which I steam lightly..for Keto they are served with liberal salt and a dressing made of olive oil and lemon juice….I’m meat only so no longer eat the veggies, but my family does.

• Mimi says:

Also on the fiber issue…I’ve read that carbs retain water so you do need to make sure you drink enough water/fluids with meat-only or Keto for that matter…sometimes dehydration is the issue with constipation

• Hi there. You’re going to have to eat something other than meat to get fiber (and the rapidly growing body of research on the gut microbiome supports the idea that we absolutely need more fiber than a standard diet provides). If you want to stay low-carb, you can look at cruciferous vegetables and just gagging down a punch of psylium. It won’t be ideal, but it will be better than a pure meat diet.

If you want to nerd out, my personal fave gut health researchers and the Sonnenburgs (who doesn’t love a husband-wife scientist team?). They’ve been studying cultures that eat around 200g fiber/day on a non-North American diet.