Update April 8 2018 – Jordan Peterson’s Diet – Zero Carb

Hi guys

So Dad’s going on the zero carb diet – that’s the all meat, carnivore diet. With salt and sparkling water.

Why?

He had good results with the previous diets. In the greater scheme of things, I would say excellent results. We managed to keep the extreme depressive episodes away, he’s off medication, he lost 50+ pounds, his autoimmune symptoms went away. All in all, great results.

So why the change? He’s doing it for almost the same reason as I did. His anxiety still isn’t under control. It’s under control enough to not need medication, but he still wakes up in the morning with the dread feeling. I had this before I went zero-carb too. Dread, in the morning, fading off by the evening. A little bit too much volatility. Still not a great way to live, even if it’s not full blown depression. His switch over shouldn’t really be that dramatic considering he’s only eating meat and greens right now. There won’t be any cravings. He told me he woke up this morning and figured he didn’t want to live with the anxiety anymore, so he’d give it a try.

I’ll keep everyone posted, and probably do an update in about a week. Mom’s on it, and her arthritis is gone. Dad mentioned that her skin and her legs look better than they have for 10 years.

177 thoughts on “Update April 8 2018 – Jordan Peterson’s Diet – Zero Carb

• Jeroen says:

I know Atkins advises against coffee (and black tea too) because some of the chemicals in it seem to have an adverse effect on the body’s ability to process dietary fat and protein properly.

1. Borlo Reirlagh says:

My dad has bad issues with anxiety and I want to find a solution for him, because he seemingly won’t himself. Carnivore diet may work for him, but it’s so hard to get him to try doing anything differently, especially something as drastic as a complete diet change.

• Even just cutting grains and dairy might help enough to convince him to give something more drastic a try. Something like the paleo diet can help people too. It just doesn’t seem to be enough for everyone like beef, salt and water.

• Russell says:

Have fun with scurvy and colon cancer you crack pot. Maybe if your dad wasn’t a brain dead ideologue he could refer you to some actual scientific research on diet, or even the content of every traditional diet including some fruits and vegetables. Please fuck up your own health and don’t broadcast this absurd shit.

• Wayne McManus says:

Hey, thanks for posting this stuff. I know I have food allergies that I haven’t nailed down. I have asperger’s and it think there’s some co morbidity. I have a relative who has been devastated by Crohn’s disease and I just sent him the link of your father’s interview with Joe Rogan. Not everything works with everyone, and probably not everyone needs so strict a diet, but it’s a great starting place and you have paid a very high tuition for the knowledge you give away. I don’t understand hateful comments, keep going and remember that most people appreciate your perspective.

2. Francine Long says:

Don’t you get constipated on just meat? How do you keep your gut moving stuff along without fiber?

• Kenn Macd says:

I can assure you that if you become constipated it has little to do with eating meat. hydration may be the issue. what makes you think you need fiber? Is that your direct experience?

• Russell says:

Of course you need fiber – there’s no culture in history that’s loved and thrived on just eating meat. You’ll get colon cancer and scurvy. It’s totally nuts.

• Wayne McManus says:

I taught in a Yupik Eskimo village, and have studied the culture pretty well, along with other Akaska native cultures such as the Unungam and Alutiiq. With the exception of salmon berries, blueberries, and a few others, un available at most times of the year, it’s pretty much straight meat and fat, and akutaq (pronounced in Yupik a goo duck, at least that’s as close as I get), specifically, in my village, it was salmon, blackfish, seal and walrus meat, and fat. Akutaq is now mostly crisco and sugar, although some people still use animal fat. There are some people who still eat traditionally, and others who are the frozen pizza and 12 pack of soda a day crowd. No doubt the traditionalists are much more healthy and show no deficiencies at all. Not only are there meat majority cultures, but they’re thriving present day. I had students who struggled very much when they leave the village because it’s hard to get dried and smoked salmon, and impossible to get other traditional foods in Anchorage and Fairbanks, in quantities that normal people eat. I could go on, but you’re entirely off-base and I doubt you have any concern for anyone’s well being. Many people suffer and this information could help people. Is this really all you have to do?

3. Hi
    I’m going to give this a try. Like you I have always been on antibiotics. My skin is awful in spots, and I suffer severe anxiety and depression. I’ve been diagnosed as bipolar.
    I’m on day 2 and feel great but so far still anxious and my skin obviously wouldn’t clear up that quickly.
    My question is, with just beef, salt and water, will I be getting all the nutrients my body needs or should I take a multivitamin?
    Kind regards,
    Tristram

4. Katie says:

On Joe Rogan’s Podcast you spoke about a fat you add to lean ground beef. Can you tell me what it is and where to purchase it, please?

5. Russell says:

This obviously isn’t sustainable and you’ll end up with severe medical problems. You’d have to be fairly clueless to not see the nuances involved in how your body functions and the realizable outcomes that make this diet a disaster.

But desperate people will try things that have terrible long term consequences if they get short term relief.

The Inuit people ate essentially all animal products and fat, and even they ate the stomach contents of Caribou who grazed on lichen to obtain greens.

• You’re misinformed about the Inuit. Do your actual research before commenting. They fed liver to the dogs, but ate the brain (which is mostly fat) and kidneys. They also fed the leanest cuts to the dogs. They didn’t eat greens except occasionally to dip in liquid fat. This isn’t short term relief. If all of your comments are going to be misinformed, rude, and negative, go harass people on twitter. This is for sick people trying to get better.

6. Ryan says:

I have Sjogrens (Sicca) which is giving me so many issues including horrible joint problems. I started eating just beef and chicken two weeks ago. I felt better the first few days but now I just feel so weak and my whole body aches. Should I be taking any supplements?

7. Alexander C. says:

I have major depression, severe, as well as generalized anxiety. I’m trying to decide between starting the zero carb diet or still continuing to eat some greens while cutting everything else out. What would you recommend?

8. Mercy Vetsel says:

Sounds great except that I’m neither Inuit nor Masai. We know that they’ve been eating this diet for thousands of years and show genetic differences to match, so why would you assume that it’s beneficial for the vast majority of us who have no such history?

I don’t know if the diet is safe or healthy but I’d say the examples of just a few tribes doesn’t provide much evidence one way or the other. There are a people who live entirely on rice, entirely on grain and so on.

My question is why limit it to beef?