TVO Segments on Depression

I figured this should go on the blog. That video, from The Agenda with Steve Paikin, is before I knew about diet at all. I was in rough shape to be completely honest. See for yourself.

A video from a couple of years later is here. If I were to do a video now, I’d be even clearer. That was when I was still reacting to some foods. I had improved drastically but I was still anxious and a bit brain foggy. I believe it was a couple of days after I tried to reintroduce whey protein powder and before the majority of the reaction hit. You can see I have puffiness around my eyes that’s caused from the reaction.

13 thoughts on “TVO Segments on Depression

1. pwyll says:

Those segments were mindblowing for me when I first saw them last year. I think they’re the most persuasive evidence that you’re doing something right. Not only do you look much better in the second one, the contrast in your dad’s appearance is stunning. In addition to looking thinner and younger, he looks dramatically *healthier*. His hair is no longer thinning and his facial expressions are somehow much more “alive”.

Thanks again for doing those shows and opening up, it’s a great testimonial.

2. PAULA says:

Mikhaila, have you heard of Kelly Brogan, MD’s “A Mind of Her Own”? Holistic (she didn’t used to be) psychiatrist says the same thing as you:

“Basic lifestyle interventions can facilitate the body’s powerful self-healing mechanisms to end depression: dietary modifications (more healthy fats and less sugar, dairy, and gluten); natural supplements like B vitamins and probiotics that don’t require a prescription and can even be delivered through certain foods; minimizing exposures to biology-disrupting toxicants like fluoride in tap water, chemicals in common drugs like Tylenol and statins, and fragrances in cosmetics; harnessing the power of sufficient sleep and physical movement; and behavioral techniques aimed at promoting the relaxation response. I’ve seen women transformed in a little as 30 days. Dare to be one of them! Learn the tools you’ll need in A Mind of Your Own.”

3. Elvis Rivera says:

Thank you for sharing, watched the two videos, the first one gave me great insights about depression, the second is a nice comparison video of how diet can help to reduce illness, both of you look great in the second one!

4. Steve H says:

I’d already seen the first one and tbh I found it a bit depressing to watch. Just watched the second and that is a wonderful story. It must have been such an amazing liberation for you. I’m happy to see that. I wish this kind of thing could be more widely applied.

You and your dad are doing great for mental health on more than one front.

5. Lisa Sherry says:

Thank You, for showing these two videos, which so incredibly lay out not only the vast and mysterious panorama of depressions but also touch on the myriad of microbial universes inside each of us.
    Years ago, I attended a couple of lectures by Tom Malterre (you can find him on YouTube), who made it pretty clear, that gluten is more or less poisonous to just about EVERYBODY…and…if you have major gluten sensitivity, you most likely also have sensitivity to dairy products. I stopped both and feel super great. – Good luck, Mikalia with your new “cricket” diet. Please keep us posted.

6. steven v says:

Wow, it is an amazing change in both of you physically. I am even more intrigued at your family’s path of integrity and search of deep truth.
    Keep up the great work

7. A says:

Mikhaila,

Have you read “The Plant Paradox” and explored the health effects of lectins? You mentioned that both you and your father reacted poorly to melon, so I was wondering. It’s hard to understand what the common factor might be in reactions to so many different foods.

8. Hi Mikhaila,

–> I love your success <–

Congrats on the initiative to publicly document it, this stuff is beyond empowering for those who think giving up gracefully is their best hope for life with mental illness. *MISERABLE NOISES OF DESPAIR*

This stuff really hits my buttons.

Some boring stuff about me: I woke up at 13 years old as a ball of chronic anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, despondency and other synonyms for 'IS THIS SOME KIND OF SICK JOKE??' I'll fight the urge to narrate the dramatic detail of my journey with a broken brain as the long-suffering heroin (basically because I want to be friends and don't want to come on too strong. See how I'm playing it cool?)

Now 26, I spend my time devouring works by Ben Lynch, Kelly Brogan, Datis Kharrazian, Isabella Wentz (I have hashimoto's), Mark Hyman, David Perlmutter, William J Walsh, Albert H Mensah etc. I'm applying to train in clinical psychology in a year but have also chosen to complete a diploma in naturopathic medicine so that when I am sitting in my swivelly chair (ideally stroking a hairless animal) I can give advice to my patients that brings BOTH psychological and cellular support. For too long we have compartmentalised health into sections – 'endocrine system' 'digestive system' 'mental health' 'physical health' etc.- A new paradigm to treat our entire system seems inevitable. (Luckily I am an under-methylater (Read William J Walsh on methylation if not familiar, IT IS BANGING) so no doubt I'll be carried by my OCD tendencies to success 😉

If you're interested let's chat sources, diets, autoimmunity and I'll cyber introduce you to my emotional support hamster. He's a hoot.

Love and light from a like-minded soul across the pond x

9. Peggy says:

This is probably something you’ve already considered, but just in case I’ll mention it here with your best interest in mind: have you had your vitamin D level tested? It is associated with all manner of health issues. Being in Canada, you likely don’t get enough UVB radiation to make vitamin D from the sun. The sun must be 50 degrees or higher in the sky for UVB from the sun to get to the earth and hit your skin. The US Naval Observatory maintains a database that will tell you when the sun’s path rises above 50 degrees for your location. Looking for solar altitude for Toronto, the sun doesn’t rise above 50 degrees in the sky until April every year, and stops rising above 50 degrees sometime in September annually. You would have to be outside when the sun is at its highest (near noon) with exposed skin (no sunblock) in order to make vitamin D during those months. The rest of the year you could be outside in a bikini all day and never make any vitamin D. In this instance, it would actually be accurate to say the universe is conspiring against you! Checking D level is easy and inexpensive (we don’t need an MD order in the US, but it is a blood test). Correcting vitamin D level if it’s low is also easy – use an oral vitamin D3 supplement, or take multiple trips to locales closer to the equator.