New Safe Diet Food!

Hi all,

Big news, bad news. So for some reason, I’ve stopped being able to tolerate beef. It’s all I was eating and now I can’t stomach it, I guess the people who said I would sensitize to these foods were right. FORTUNATELY, I’ve found a solution. Insects. They’re basically meat and pretty crunchy. So far so good. I’ve only tried crickets but I’ve added links below to other insects. At least there’s more variety here, right? I highly highly doubt any insect would cause an IgG response, so they’re probably safe.

Black Ants – nothing added

Crickets – I’ve actually had to buy these from pet stores… For some reason they don’t make crickets without adding a whole bunch of additives to them. The only ones I could find online were BBQ flavoured, and many had added milk and sugar. How is that healthier?

The ones from pet stores are organic and have nothing added so they’re safe to consume. I used to feed them to my bearded dragons so that’s pretty funny.

Facts:

• The UN states that 20 percent of the world eats insects. Perhaps those are the parts of the world where obesity isn’t’ a problem? A coincidence? I think not.
  • A number of insects have a higher protein amount (per 100g) than beef!
  • It’s good for the environment (fuck bugs, amirite?). They take less water to raise than normal sources of protein (beef), and contribute much less to greenhouse gases.

Articles promoting bug consumption:

IFT.org

edibleinsects.com

The Telegraph (coincidentally recently featuring my dad)

Time magazine

Will keep everyone posted.

UPDATE:

April fools. Got my mom too! 🙂 Hope nobody got too concerned. I am not eating insects, meat is still a-okay and will be for a very long time.

58 thoughts on “New Safe Diet Food!

1. Jane S says:

If this blogger (Mikhaila) made an April Fool’s joke it would be clever and truly funny.
    Cultures that eat insects are – from my own personal viewpoint, (said The Dinosaur), old cultures that understand survival without artificial additives or sensual enhancers.
    Its not so long ago Europeans ate anything that moved as well.
    Try researching the old “pork pie”.
    Humans are known for eating anything in sight and even other humans when necessary.
    Insects are so important to Earth ecology I am pleased to hear about some being available for human consumption – if we can educate people well enough there is plenty of food on our mother earth. Rat (and other rodent) meat is delicious, but we in the “developed” world insist on poisoning them and everything else that doesn’t come in a plastic wrap.
    Thank you Mikhaila for publishing your bad and good news. I am heartened by this. My own condition is fraught with banging into offensive ideas about health and nutrition and chasing a civillised life amid hoards of sheepoid people whose first or only option is kill kill kill it!

• Jane S says:

As you see above I did react to your joke (from another time zone, never even suspected) quite seriously because of my own contact with insect protein source along with our human omnivore history.
      Must thank you as well because I easily perceive when others believe absurdities, yet never doubted you, your presentations have been real and honest.
      The links you cited appear real enough though, it is not such a bad idea.
      I often wonder about insect life and how we discount them – there is a particular wasp that feeds on the outer leaves of the Cadaghi Gum in Australia, and its droppings contribute to the bacterial health of the tree at the outer root line.
      I like the idea of insects as a protein source anyway.

2. Mitch says:

Just moments before reading this I was thinking about how I’ve never met someone intolerant/allergic to meat. Still yet to haha.

3. Juan Gonzalez says:

Oh my God, you got me.
    Should’ve seen the loss of faith on my face as I looked at my phone on a lonely subway as some dude at the other end of the station is playing a trombone of some sort. Jeez Louise.
    Wel played and fuck April. 🙂

4. Juan Gonzalez says:

Oh my God, you got me.
    Wel played and screw April 1st! 🙂

5. Amrish says:

Hey Mikhaila,

I am on the 4th day of my low-carb keto diet and I’m getting joint pains on the right side of my body. Is this a sign of Rheumatic arthritis? Before I went on this diet, I had never felt pain in three or more joints at the same time.

I am a seventeen-year-old boy, with swan neck deformity and a weak right knee (both of which I was born with).

Is the keto diet causing this pain? Am I eating too much-saturated fats? Do I lack vitamins or minerals? Websites point to a bunch of causes, but I don’t know how I’ll find out which one is causing the inflammation.

What should I do? Do you need to know which foods I have been eating? I have been eating tuna, chicken, broccoli, spinach, grilled cheese, olive oil, sunflower oil, butter, eggs, dried and salted cod and some supplements.

Supplements include Vitamin D, Omega 3, 6 & 9 and Zinc.

The day before the pain, I played some basketball. I don’t think this is the problem. Since it didn’t cause any joint problems before I started the diet.

Any help is welcome.

Greetings,

Amrish

• Amrish says:

Note: The first three days were without pain. The last meal I ate before I woke up with joint pain was dinner on the third day leading up to the pain of the fourth day, it had this weird tuna steak which I couldn’t get to edible status, it stayed undercooked. Besides that, it included spinach, chicken, broccoli, grilled cheese and dried and salted cod.

I introduced cheese on the third day. I have never had problems with cheese. But I just can’t figure out what’s causing my joint pain.

Greetings,

Amrish

6. Roger Elliott says:

Yep, totally got me. Flicked past it in my gmail and thought ‘oh no, what the hell is she going to do, I have to help somehow’, then ruminated on it for a day before seeing the joke on your Dad’s Twitter. I really need to stop taking everything so seriously!

Brilliant.

B*st*rd.

7. Steph says:

OMG, I am so glad I read the update this morning! I saw your post yesterday and was so bummed! Then I saw your Instagram stories about beef jerky and got really confused – is she or isn’t she intolerant?

Until today I was so proud that I didn’t fall for any April Fools’ jokes yesterday…

8. Had me going, girl! Though I admit, I did try barbecued beetles from Colombia about twenty years ago; and surprisingly, they crunched and tasted pretty mellow with the texture of pumpkin seeds. Very happy that you aren’t on the insect diet. Keep up the good work, here. People need your voice!

9. Wendy says:

You poor thing having all these food issues and now your eating bugs Oh Lord I wish you could eat all the food you could ever want!!! I did a 3 day water fast and 4 weeks later I am down 8 pounds doing intermittent fasting and watching how much sugars and wheat I eat. Have you looked into Chinese medicine? I was getting acupuncture treatments for dampness that’s a condition in Chinese medicine and there is a diet for that. I would be interested in knowing if you are damp as well and what a Chinese Acupuncturist would say about your health.

10. Easy solution is locusts, provided one can plan ahead. They can be collected in great quantities very easily when they are available and stored for later use in a number of ways. Very high in calcium and glucosamin. And easily quite palatable. In theory it’s not hard to raise crickets, and I’ve known people to be quite successful at it, but I’ve never had the knack for it. Mealworms, however, are very easy to raise in large quantities.

11. I was struggling with the idea of anybody subsisting on pet store crickets… but the rotating allergies thing is such a credible story (I’ve had my own trouble with this over the years).

12. nerdhub says:

Mikhaila, if this is the case you will also become intolerant to insects. Your only hope I would say is helminthic therapy, that is, hookworms to heal your overactive immune system. Google Jasper Lawrence, and go from there.

13. Leticia Alcántara Cruz says:

Oh! At first I really thought it was true! I am from Mexico and in the southern part of my country it is pretty common to eat crickets (usually with a bit of spices, of course), so it didn’t really sound that crazy to me!

14. Jennie Murphy says:

Hi Mikhaila,
    I was hoping you could help.My husband told me about your site. I have so many of the symptoms you had when you first started. Depression, joint pain, fatigue, etc. I’m completely exhausted most of the time. I know I am gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant. I’m also a vegetarian who eats eggs and fish. I really don’t like meat. Any advice for me? Can I get my protein from a plant-based source? I really want to feel better, but I need to be realistic. I just can’t eat animals for some reason. I’m ok with fish and eggs though. I know it sounds crazy. Thanks,
    Jennie