New Safe Diet Food!

Hi all,

Big news, bad news. So for some reason, I’ve stopped being able to tolerate beef. It’s all I was eating and now I can’t stomach it, I guess the people who said I would sensitize to these foods were right. FORTUNATELY, I’ve found a solution. Insects. They’re basically meat and pretty crunchy. So far so good. I’ve only tried crickets but I’ve added links below to other insects. At least there’s more variety here, right? I highly highly doubt any insect would cause an IgG response, so they’re probably safe.

Black Ants – nothing added

Crickets – I’ve actually had to buy these from pet stores… For some reason they don’t make crickets without adding a whole bunch of additives to them. The only ones I could find online were BBQ flavoured, and many had added milk and sugar. How is that healthier?

The ones from pet stores are organic and have nothing added so they’re safe to consume. I used to feed them to my bearded dragons so that’s pretty funny.

Facts:

• The UN states that 20 percent of the world eats insects. Perhaps those are the parts of the world where obesity isn’t’ a problem? A coincidence? I think not.
  • A number of insects have a higher protein amount (per 100g) than beef!
  • It’s good for the environment (fuck bugs, amirite?). They take less water to raise than normal sources of protein (beef), and contribute much less to greenhouse gases.

Articles promoting bug consumption:

IFT.org

edibleinsects.com

The Telegraph (coincidentally recently featuring my dad)

Time magazine

Will keep everyone posted.

UPDATE:

April fools. Got my mom too! 🙂 Hope nobody got too concerned. I am not eating insects, meat is still a-okay and will be for a very long time.

58 thoughts on “New Safe Diet Food!

1. Georgie Sheard says:

I am hoping this is an April Fool joke!!!! Not that I am against eating insects, I ate many as a child. It would be sad if you are relegated to ONLY eating insects! That would be an extremely restricted diet as I am sure they are not very tast, at least your beef steaks were tasty!

• Louise Newton says:

Haha! You got me there.
      I was seriously thinking, “oh man, I’ve gotta injest a plague of locusts if I get peckish!” 🤣

2. Charles says:

Interesting. First, I suspect we need to rule out the hypothesis that cultures which eat a substantial portion of their calories from insects have, per capita, less access to calories.
    I was wondering: 1) how do you tolerate garlic?; and 2) have you tried shirataki noodles?
    ps my husband and I live on cauliflower rice sauteed in garlic and olive oil. Highly recommended.

• I don’t tolerate anything other than meat. I used to tolerate cauliflower, but something changed… I didn’t try to reintroduce garlic so I don’t know about that one. Same with the shirataki noodles but they seem like they could be pretty safe

3. Ike says:

Woah, gnarly. What pet stores do you go to, and how have you been preparing your crickets, I must know. I’m on the 100% carnivore diet, and I just recently stopped eating beef too -instead switching back to sardines, chicken, tuna, and mackerel with less than perfect results. Gosh, it’s so weird, your blog seems to have almost perfect timing. When the diet first stopped working for me, you made your candida post, then again, and you make your no carb post, then now with the insect post. What a world, huh?

4. Mark says:

Have you considered that it might be your gut microbiome that is making you intolerant to things?

I know you’ve mentioned before that you had trouble with probiotics but maybe you could try another kind. Or maybe you have such a serious issue that you would benefit from a “microbiome transplant” (if you haven’t heard of that yet, you’ll have to look it up – it’s too gross to describe but medically useful).

From various things I’ve read it seems a change in gut flora can have serious effects on a person’s health and might even trigger immune reactions.

See if you can find anything on the issue.

5. Erik says:

I had the same problem, but I went cannibal instead.

I no longer have to pay for meat and this diet has really lowered my stress level… Though, perhaps that’s just because I ate the people who annoyed me.

6. Bill says:

Clint Paddison talks about leaky gut syndrome and molecular mimicry. Where undigested foods at a molecular level pass through the gut wall. The body tags it as a foreign antigen and attacks anything in your body that looks similar to this. In the case of Ra your synovial tissue. Healing the gut is the key elimiating inflammation causing foods and restoring the healthy bacteria in your gut.

7. Prag M says:

Have you been tracking the beef supplier? There could be a contamination issue in the supply chain that’s triggered a response?
    What about seasonal issues (in the source of meat)? The way the animal is slaughtered can also impact the level of stress hormones left in the meat, which then triggers a reaction in you.
    Just thinking out loud, not offering any expert opinions.

8. I can’t even imagine!
    May I recommend experimenting with something:
    EFT
    Faster EFT
    Hypnotherapy
    Mindscaping
    Any of these to affect change in your body so it will allow you to carefully eat other foods.

Best regards and just wow, no words to where this is taking you!

• Demetros says:

Shit, you got me scared there for a second. Meat (beef practically) is all I eat. I was like, I don’t wanna eat crickets if eating beef fails!

9. Jay says:

Despite the April Fool’s, insects do make sense as part of a carnivorous diet. Insects are meat. Our ancestors snacked on them.

Here’s a blog discussing insects from a paleo perspective (author is French and doesn’t have perfect English):

Here’s a paper on the nutrition and tastes of different insects: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352364616300013

Here’s an argument that we evolved to carnivory via insectivory: http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2017/03/human-ancestors-vegetarians-or-obligate.html

The main concern would be shellfish allergy. Sensitive people should start small. Mikhaila personally might want to be cautious about this, unless she knows she doesn’t have shellfish allergy. Not sure where typically-packaged edible insects stand on the histamine issue. But insects would be a respectable snack for most people eating carnivorously.

Bugs give you some additional nutrients that you would not get just from eating steak. They have n-acetyl-glucosamine from the chitin in their shells. This is often sold as expensive supplements. Bugs are a source of animal fiber. They have full protein, until plants. Crickets are good for B12.

I have some cricket powder, which I eat a little bit of several times a week as part of a carnivorous diet. It tastes nutty.

10. Peter says:

Try rotating the beef with the insects and maybe trying to get ahold of some uncommon meats that you haven’t tried before and rotate them as well so you don’t eat the same thing too often.

11. Gregory Roberts says:

It might be more to do with the fact the countries are developing

12. This from my grand daughter who, at an earlier time, was often called “Bug” You have a wicked sense of humour and I believe that you caught many with yourApril Fools scam. Happy Easter and love to you all

13. Matthew says:

I’ve found that eating bugs tended to have adverse side effects such as sprouting antennae, extension of the thorax and additional leg growth. What I have learned is that the eating of fictional animals has not held any long term side effects at all. The three little piggies, the Big Bad Wolf. Monstro the whale from Pinocchio (which kept me fed for almost 8 weeks), Wiley E.Coyote, Bambi, Bugs Bunny and Donald Duck all have been consumed with no noticeable long term issues, some short term issues have been seeing stars after hitting my head, falling for tunnels painted on cliff walls, huffing and puffing and blowing houses down. but these effects only lasted about 2 weeks. Just saying

14. Steve H says:

Totally knew that was an April Fools joke immediately.

I just heard your dad mention this blog to Joe Rogan and I’m interested in diet (and about to go on one) so I thought I’d give it a look.

15. Jane S says:

If this blogger (Mikhaila) made an April Fool’s joke it would be clever and truly funny.
    Cultures that eat insects are – from my own personal viewpoint, (said The Dinosaur), old cultures that understand survival without artificial additives or sensual enhancers.
    Its not so long ago Europeans ate anything that moved as well.
    Try researching the old “pork pie”.
    Humans are known for eating anything in sight and even other humans when necessary.
    Insects are so important to Earth ecology I am pleased to hear about some being available for human consumption – if we can educate people well enough there is plenty of food on our mother earth. Rat (and other rodent) meat is delicious, but we in the “developed” world insist on poisoning them and everything else that doesn’t come in a plastic wrap.
    Thank you Mikhaila for publishing your bad and good news. I am heartened by this. My own condition is fraught with banging into offensive ideas about health and nutrition and chasing a civillised life amid hoards of sheepoid people whose first or only option is kill kill kill it!

• Jane S says:

As you see above I did react to your joke (from another time zone, never even suspected) quite seriously because of my own contact with insect protein source along with our human omnivore history.
      Must thank you as well because I easily perceive when others believe absurdities, yet never doubted you, your presentations have been real and honest.
      The links you cited appear real enough though, it is not such a bad idea.
      I often wonder about insect life and how we discount them – there is a particular wasp that feeds on the outer leaves of the Cadaghi Gum in Australia, and its droppings contribute to the bacterial health of the tree at the outer root line.
      I like the idea of insects as a protein source anyway.

16. Mitch says:

Just moments before reading this I was thinking about how I’ve never met someone intolerant/allergic to meat. Still yet to haha.

17. Juan Gonzalez says:

Oh my God, you got me.
    Should’ve seen the loss of faith on my face as I looked at my phone on a lonely subway as some dude at the other end of the station is playing a trombone of some sort. Jeez Louise.
    Wel played and fuck April. 🙂

18. Juan Gonzalez says:

Oh my God, you got me.
    Wel played and screw April 1st! 🙂

19. Amrish says:

Hey Mikhaila,

I am on the 4th day of my low-carb keto diet and I’m getting joint pains on the right side of my body. Is this a sign of Rheumatic arthritis? Before I went on this diet, I had never felt pain in three or more joints at the same time.

I am a seventeen-year-old boy, with swan neck deformity and a weak right knee (both of which I was born with).

Is the keto diet causing this pain? Am I eating too much-saturated fats? Do I lack vitamins or minerals? Websites point to a bunch of causes, but I don’t know how I’ll find out which one is causing the inflammation.

What should I do? Do you need to know which foods I have been eating? I have been eating tuna, chicken, broccoli, spinach, grilled cheese, olive oil, sunflower oil, butter, eggs, dried and salted cod and some supplements.

Supplements include Vitamin D, Omega 3, 6 & 9 and Zinc.

The day before the pain, I played some basketball. I don’t think this is the problem. Since it didn’t cause any joint problems before I started the diet.

Any help is welcome.

Greetings,

Amrish

• Amrish says:

Note: The first three days were without pain. The last meal I ate before I woke up with joint pain was dinner on the third day leading up to the pain of the fourth day, it had this weird tuna steak which I couldn’t get to edible status, it stayed undercooked. Besides that, it included spinach, chicken, broccoli, grilled cheese and dried and salted cod.

I introduced cheese on the third day. I have never had problems with cheese. But I just can’t figure out what’s causing my joint pain.

Greetings,

Amrish

20. Roger Elliott says:

Yep, totally got me. Flicked past it in my gmail and thought ‘oh no, what the hell is she going to do, I have to help somehow’, then ruminated on it for a day before seeing the joke on your Dad’s Twitter. I really need to stop taking everything so seriously!

Brilliant.

B*st*rd.

21. Steph says:

OMG, I am so glad I read the update this morning! I saw your post yesterday and was so bummed! Then I saw your Instagram stories about beef jerky and got really confused – is she or isn’t she intolerant?

Until today I was so proud that I didn’t fall for any April Fools’ jokes yesterday…

22. Had me going, girl! Though I admit, I did try barbecued beetles from Colombia about twenty years ago; and surprisingly, they crunched and tasted pretty mellow with the texture of pumpkin seeds. Very happy that you aren’t on the insect diet. Keep up the good work, here. People need your voice!

23. Wendy says:

You poor thing having all these food issues and now your eating bugs Oh Lord I wish you could eat all the food you could ever want!!! I did a 3 day water fast and 4 weeks later I am down 8 pounds doing intermittent fasting and watching how much sugars and wheat I eat. Have you looked into Chinese medicine? I was getting acupuncture treatments for dampness that’s a condition in Chinese medicine and there is a diet for that. I would be interested in knowing if you are damp as well and what a Chinese Acupuncturist would say about your health.

24. Easy solution is locusts, provided one can plan ahead. They can be collected in great quantities very easily when they are available and stored for later use in a number of ways. Very high in calcium and glucosamin. And easily quite palatable. In theory it’s not hard to raise crickets, and I’ve known people to be quite successful at it, but I’ve never had the knack for it. Mealworms, however, are very easy to raise in large quantities.

25. I was struggling with the idea of anybody subsisting on pet store crickets… but the rotating allergies thing is such a credible story (I’ve had my own trouble with this over the years).

26. nerdhub says:

Mikhaila, if this is the case you will also become intolerant to insects. Your only hope I would say is helminthic therapy, that is, hookworms to heal your overactive immune system. Google Jasper Lawrence, and go from there.

27. Leticia Alcántara Cruz says:

Oh! At first I really thought it was true! I am from Mexico and in the southern part of my country it is pretty common to eat crickets (usually with a bit of spices, of course), so it didn’t really sound that crazy to me!

28. Jennie Murphy says:

Hi Mikhaila,
    I was hoping you could help.My husband told me about your site. I have so many of the symptoms you had when you first started. Depression, joint pain, fatigue, etc. I’m completely exhausted most of the time. I know I am gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant. I’m also a vegetarian who eats eggs and fish. I really don’t like meat. Any advice for me? Can I get my protein from a plant-based source? I really want to feel better, but I need to be realistic. I just can’t eat animals for some reason. I’m ok with fish and eggs though. I know it sounds crazy. Thanks,
    Jennie