Zero Carb – What Type of Meat Do I Get?

I’ve been scrolling through comments and there have been a number of questions about what type of meat I’m eating.  Sorry I don’t get to them all, I’m super busy and there are a lot of comments. They’re great to read but I’m too slow to keep up!

A couple of things:

1. I try to buy antibiotic/hormone free grass-fed beef as much as I can. Ribeye is my favourite, but I’ll also eat blade roasts (they’re fattier), and ground beef. Grass-fed beef is really expensive so I’m not always eating grass-fed. Sometimes it’s grain finished.
  2. I always avoid antibiotics in meat.
  3. All this being said, I haven’t had a bad reaction to grain fed beef with antibiotics/hormones. When I went to Europe it was hard to tell what was in the meat. I didn’t have a reaction to any of it, even though some of it tasted awful. I don’t have a reaction to grain fed beef either. If I go to a restaurant and order a steak, chances are it’s grain fed and has had antibiotics, and it doesn’t make me flare.

I guess my suggestion would be: Shop around, look for a butcher with cheaper prices. Farmers markets are great. We shop with Mennonites on the weekend and they have inexpensive beef that’s grass-fed (although not always) and antibiotic/hormone free. If the price is a huge issue and a game changer, it’s better to just eat more meat even if it’s grain fed with antibiotics, than to not eat more meat. Theoretically, the grass-fed antibiotic-free meat is better for you (and it makes sense that it would be) so that’s what I try to eat, but I honestly haven’t physically noticed a difference between that and grain-fed with antibiotics.

20 thoughts on “Zero Carb – What Type of Meat Do I Get?

1. AtlasCole says:

Thank you for clearing that up. I have wondered if it was the added stuff that was causing issues.
    I think most of us understand that your life is difficult with your broken arm and working for your dad (and of course taking care of Scarlett) , it is impossible to keep up with all the comments. Just do what you can.
    I watched your dad’s latest video, looks very healthy and the beard is GREAT!
    also finally listened to the pod cast you did, great job!
    Thank you guys for all your work!
    Take care!

2. pwyll says:

I don’t think there’s any downside to hormone-free or grass-fed beef, but here’s an argument that the distinction isn’t nearly as important as the overall amount of chicken and salmon you eat:

Dennis Mangan, who runs that blog, is a great source of info on the latest health & nutrition research.

Also, here’s a handy guide to the Omega 3/6 balance in different foods:

Cheers!

3. Alex says:

Hello Mikhaila –

Just a couple of thoughts – Keep in mind my thoughts and $5.00 will get you a coffee at Starbucks 🙄

“If the price is a huge issue and a game changer, it’s better to just eat more meat even if it’s grain fed with antibiotics, than to not eat more meat.”

I’m not sure I’d completely agree with that statement, in fact, the dangers of eating conventionally raised animal products are pretty well documented. The toxins you ingest from conventionally raised beef may not be acute but longterm the results typically are not positive. Not only do you face the downstream consequences of eating sick (grain-fed), antibiotic laden, hormone infused animals but the ratio of Omega 6 to 3 fatty acids is suboptimal to say the least. Depending on the study you can find Omega 6 heavy animal products ranging from 16:1 to 25:1. In good news it appears that, as an example, grass-fed beef has an Omega 6 to 3 ratio range of 2:1 to 4:1. The importance of a balanced ratio is allowing the body to maintain its inflammatory to anti-inflammatory mechanisms.

What I have found very useful in the search for grass-fed beef was saving the money to purchase a freezer. Next, I did the legwork to find a local rancher who raises only grass-fed beef and pasture raised pork. I can purchase half a cow have it all packaged and pre-frozen for under $6.00 a pound. That includes all the cuts, roasts, steaks, ribs, and ground. By supporting my local rancher he makes more money and I get wonderful beef for way less then I’d pay at a butcher shop.

Here is a useful link:

Your doing great work – Keep it up!

• I agree. Going grass-fed and avoiding hormone and antibiotics is a better idea than not. Finding a way to buy half a cow is a great way to save money (we do that). I do feel though that this diet is complicated enough that I want to reduce any extra difficulties. I’m extremely sensitive to what I eat and lower quality beef hasn’t made a difference to me. I avoid it, but it’s not like it makes me visibly ill, so I wanted to get that across.

4. David Lee says:

Are you familiar with Dr. Shawn Baker (he was on Joe Rogan not too long ago); an advocate for a carnivore diet? I remember him bringing up that it’s sorta negligible the hormones you get in regular beef compared to grass-fed. Or I could be misremembering.

• I am familiar with him. I’ve heard what he’s said about antibiotics and hormones, but I’ve also found that even minute amounts of certain things really really bother me. So I’m careful (paranoid?) about everything.

5. Sandy says:

Hi Mikhaila,
    I wonder if genetics play into some of your sensitivities. I remember reading that your background in Norwegian and there is a group of people from northern Norway that eat nothing but reindeer meat and reindeer milk. It could be that somewhere in your DNA you might have a gene that never adapted to processing carbs. There is a great book called “Genome” that discusses how our DNA is evolving over time.

They have also found that native people who go back to a traditional native diet have a drastic reduction in diabetes and heart disease which is rampant in the native community. It turns out that their native diet is largely meat based and similar to the ketogenic diet.

• Who knows. I’ve had my DNA tested and nothing shows up, but there’s a lot of info in our DNA we can’t get at. I’ll take a look at that book, thanks!

6. Joe says:

Hi Mikhaila,

I’ve previously been on a zero carb diet and for me one issue with that was constipation. Do you have regular bowel movements or are you taking any supplementation to aid you with that?

7. B says:

we have found it much easier to buy 1/4 steer direct from a farmer, with bones for broth. I also purchase a 1/2 pig and his butcher makes a yummy sausage with 0 sugar and only the seasonings we can tolerate. (Thankfully I’m good with most spices and many herbs). This way we know our animal’s diet and health. The pigs are fed well, not just scraps or feed. I love pork, so it’s a godsend. Do you do broth? It’s been a godsend when I’m on the go, and a replacement for coffee.

8. Sean Keating says:

I gave up a lucrative career to become an organic farmer a few years ago because like yourself I discovered that the food we are told is good for us is making us very sick. Thank you Mikhaila for creating this site. If we are not healthy nothing else matters.

9. Dora Judy says:

I asked him for solutions and he prepared a herbal remedy and send to me,when i received it, i started taking it as directed. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. Sam herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to God and very happy with my hubby and family. You can contact him through his email address on
    Email:supremecurehome@gmail.com
    Tel/Whats-App: +2347087462033.

10. Owen says:

Hi Mikhaila. I’m on Day 9 of Carnivore. My stomach just won’t settle down. It’s making noises every evening and my BM’s aren’t improving. There not happening more to the point. So far I’ve mainly been eating grass fed Rump steaks. Chicken and Calfs Liver daily. Then a little bit of lamb, pork or veal mince. No dairy. No butter. Just tallow if desired. I am restless in my sleep as well. It’s 01:00 am in the UK as I write this, so much so is the discomfort. Can’t figure out what I’m doing that my body doesn’t like. Could the organ meats and the minimal glycogen in them be an issue? Have you incorporated organ meats. I’m using sea salt in large amounts and supplementing with other electrolytes. Perhaps need to just be patient and cut out liver and pork for now.

• Hey! Sorry for the delay. Things are going to be weird for at least 3 weeks. Symptoms might get worse. Play around with different cuts, you might be eating too little or too much fat. My digestion didn’t settle down for a solid month, and then it normalized. What electrolytes are you adding? I had bloating and diarrhea for the first month-6 weeks of the diet. My other symptoms improved so I just dealt with it and hoped it would go away which it did. If I don’t get back to you on there, feel free to email me. mikhaila@mikhailapeterson.com. Good luck, hope things have improved.

11. Larissa says:

Hi Mikhaila,

Just a quick question for you. If you don’t mind, could you share where you get your grass fed beef? I know you said a Mennonite farm, but could you share which one, specifically? I live in Toronto as well and would love to find a source for grass fed beef I can actually trust. Thanks so much! 🙂

12. Katharine says:

Hi Mikhaila,

Your story and blog are so inspiring. My husband suffers from Crohn’s disease and some other issues, and we have noticed that he did best on an essentially “Paleo” diet… But as one does, we’ve fallen off the wagon. Time to get back on!

That said, I have recently been reading the Nourishing Traditions…philosophy, I guess? That book encourages consumption of dairy, as long as it’s cultured and the individual doesn’t have symptoms of an intolerance, and consumption of grains as long as they’re soured, sprouted, or soaked before preparing (supposedly the are traditional methods).

Do you have any experience with these Nourishing Traditions ideas? I find it hard to understand how we can cut out bread, the “staff of life” for much of our history, completely. Ditto dairy, when surely owning a cow and utilizing her milk, cream, and butter was as normal for many people as having chickens around for the eggs for centuries? I do think it’s plausible that modern mass-produced versions are bad for us, though…?

Thanks,

Katharine

13. Rich says:

Hey Mikhaila

Thank you for running this blog and giving us an insight into some alternative dietary choices.

I wanted to ask, because I didn’t see anywhere on this page a mention of you eating many white meats such as chicken – Are you pretty much entirely focusing on cow and other types of red meat?

Also, I had always been led to believe that red meat really isn’t something you shouldn’t eat too much of. I haven’t done any immediate research prior to posting this comment, so excuse me if this has been disproven, but what are your beliefs on this? Is there a reason why you aren’t eating a small amount of red meats and otherwise focusing on white?

Rich