I’ve had a number of people reach out to me asking about how to gain or maintain their weight on a diet that cuts carbs like this one.
Here are some things you can do to make sure you get the calories you need. (I’m writing this post because I just counted the number of calories I’m getting a day and its about 3500!!!! – No wonder I haven’t lost any pregnancy weight. This is what happens when you survive off of chicken wings… Yum.).
- Add MCT oil (or even a tablespoon of regular coconut oil) to your tea (or coffee if you’ve added that back in.) That’ll give you 130 calories right off the bat. This is also a really good trick if you’re hungry and you haven’t made anything to eat. Super fast and really satisfying.
- Make sure you eat enough meat. My chicken wing recipe is amazing, super easy, and apparently, has way more calories than I thought. The skin in the chicken wings has a lot of fat (healthy, omega 3 fats), so a lot of calories. 5 chicken wings have approximately 280 calories. If you eat half a package of the kg package, which I can easily do, that’s at least 800 calories.
- If you’re baking sweet potatoes, or parsnips, etc., you can put coconut oil on them when you put them into the oven. I just chop em up and put them in because it’s fast, but if you want more calories, put coconut oil on everything.
- If you make a stir fry, again, add some oil.
- When you eat salad, don’t go easy on the olive oil. 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil give you about 180 calories.
It’s strange stopping carbs because your main source of calories goes away. You have to switch it for healthy fats. This won’t make you gain weight though. It will help maintain your current weight – assuming you’re not overweight. My husband has been eating like this and he hasn’t gained or lost weight in the last 8 months. I eat like this and I haven’t lost weight pregnancy weight.
The only way to gain weight on this diet is to exercise – or get pregnant. Lift weights and you’ll gain muscle. Make sure you eat enough meat and calories and you’ll do great!
If you are overweight and trying to lose weight, don’t worry about counting calories when you switch to this diet. It’s such a huge change for your body that you’ll lose weight anyway. And if you’re hungry, eat. These extra tips are for people trying to make sure they get more than enough calories.
(My baby girl Scarlett – we’re calling her Scarlett – her middle name – smiles at me when I come into the room now! It makes me melt).