Political correctness leaching its way into my Facebook mom’s group

I figure most of the people who come to this blog find out about it though my dad, Jordan Peterson. I’m happy about that, I don’t care how people get here, I just want them to know what kind of problems their diet is potentially causing. I generally avoid most of my dads “controversy” because I honestly think there are more important things for me to focus on. Mainly health. I also believe that mental illness accounts for a lot of the political problems we’re having now. People get anxious and depressed and look for outward sources of their inner pain. I believe the source is diet, Dad also believes it’s diet, but focuses on other sources (personality, lying, etc.)

Today in a Facebook group I’m in (that I normally really like), something came up that bothered me enough I couldn’t ignore it.

When I was incredibly depressed, just beginning university, I used to be in Facebook arguments all the time. When the depression went away, I stopped caring. This Facebook post this morning was too much though, I’ve ignored a lot of annoying things in the group because it’s been helpful as a soon to be mom.

Just so you can understand the following:  according to a Google search:

trig·ger warn·ing
noun
  1. a statement at the start of a piece of writing, video, etc., alerting the reader or viewer to the fact that it contains potentially distressing material (often used to introduce a description of such content).
    “there probably should be a trigger warning for people dealing with grief”

Here are the posts:

Literally a trigger warning to talk about food. Usually I can ignore something that stupid, but I pressed on it because, hey it’s about food.

Other than the fact I disagree with the documentary, isn’t it kind of ridiculous that she felt the need to post a trigger warning about a documentary about wheat? What on earth could possibly be triggering about that? And if you are triggered by that, maybe avoiding wheat based content isn’t the way to go about fixing that problem. So I wasn’t going to say anything yet but then I was reading the comments and lo and behold…

Someone actually felt like they NEEDED a trigger warning for food! So I couldn’t handle that. It was too much first thing in the morning.

I posted this and within one minute, there were two negative comments and the admin of the Facebook group was tagged. Someone tried to inform me of why to use trigger warnings, and the admin politely told me that she appreciated trigger warnings but that they weren’t mandatory. It was annoying but it was nice to see that I was still able to say something and not be completely hung out to dry. But then this:
Seriously!? First of all I can’t use the word “crazy” (and honestly I think I have the right to use that word, seeing my past craziness… and even if I didn’t have a past of craziness. Then she compares Celiac Disease to a trigger warning… Is that a joke?
THEN she takes my point about tile renovations and actually turns it around into a reason for a trigger warning.

I am no longer part of that group. I left. Obviously it was time for the annual Facebook cleansing. But I just wanted to write a quick post urging people to say something when something like this comes up. Politely disagree, or call out the stupidity so that other people know that not everyone thinks this way. I’ve been avoiding it because I don’t particularly like conflict (although I’m not as averse to it as probably the average person). But this is ridiculous.

19 thoughts on “Political correctness leaching its way into my Facebook mom’s group

1. Sotirios says:

Way to stand up for common sense! These poor people are so deluded with their constant pearl clutching over basic life events. And even worse, soon to be raising children and teaching them this insanity.

2. David Banks says:

I’m glad it’s not just me that thinks lots of people online are a bit….well…crazy.
    I do appreciate you’re thoughts on diet/mental health – as someone with a fairly long history of depression myself it’s good to hear about your experiences and what has/hasn’t worked.
    Anyway – all the best for the birth!

3. Amber says:

If that woman gets emotionally distressed by reading words on the internet not preceded by a trigger warning, then she should delete Facebook for her own well-being and get some serious help. How can she handle the challenges of real life if she can’t handle reading or talking about food? If she was genuinely that fragile a trigger warning wouldn’t do much good for her anyway. They’re just virtue signalling and trying to act like they’re morally superior, but this is just another method people use to put themselves above others.
    And what’s so evil about financial privilege?? Presumably you earned it somehow, but they can’t handle hearing about someone’s money why? Because it makes them or others envious and resentful? It’s so immature! And condescending that they think everyone else is just as fragile and resentful as they are, and so everyone’s language must be policed to accommodate their dogmatic prejudices and to avoid offending the most easily offended. I can understand why you left, that would be so incredibly frustrating to be talked down to that way!

• Dana says:

I’ve been poor. Technically I’m still poor now. What gets me about financial privilege is it turns people into gigantic trolls. First off they don’t appreciate all the help they got in order to be where they are–and don’t say no one helped you, that’s a lie and it’s rude to the people who did help. I’m surprised I don’t see more of those calling out the trolls, actually. “Oh yeah? What about that time I let you live with me rent-free for a year while you were in school?” That kind of thing. ANYWAY. Or when someone uses their moneyed status to lord it over people with less. I see that everywhere, I see a total lack of consideration for people less well off where you think all you have to do is give your s?!tty old clothes to Goodwill and pay a dime more in taxes every month and you’ve “done a lot” for the poor. Okay. It just gets tiresome. THAT SAID. I’m not gonna sit here being triggered by someone doing reno work on their bathroom. Actually I’m gonna enjoy it because I love renovation before & afters. If I feel any distress at all it’ll be “wow I wish I were doing better right now so I could do something like this, my bathroom’s a mess.” But that’s 99.999% likely not the fault of the person posting tile photos on Facebook. You know? And I realize that. (Some of it’s my fault, some of it’s other people’s faults. It’s 100% my responsibility no matter whose fault it is. It would be nice if we’d help one another out more, but I know this world is full of scumbags who got theirs so screw you. It is what it is.)

I can’t be the only poor person who feels this way. So don’t let the narcissistic activists tell you otherwise. None of us elected them to speak for us.

• I feel the same way for people telling me not to use the words crippled (etc.) I generally let them know that putting a nice word on being crippled doesn’t make it any nicer. Coming from someone who had long periods of not being able to walk…

• G says:

I work in the charity sector, in a big, corporate type organisation. My boss recently asked me if it’s still “okay” to call it “youth work” because people might be offended to be defined as youths.

Actually, people feel disgust, pity and fear when they see a crippled person, so they cover it up with a nice word and force others to do the same. Maybe the word has become a potential slur, but I would say the cause of that is the hateful usage of the word (and the reasons for that usage), and you have to confront that directly rather than mess with language.

4. Emma Chataway says:

Trigger warnings for posts about food? People need to toughen up a bit and realise the content of the world can’t and shouldn’t be tailored to their neuroses. Good on you Mikhalia for pointing it out. Best of luck on your journey to health, and with the renovations!

5. T says:

Funny how the trigger warning never seems to stop the people that the content supposedly “triggers” from reading and posting in the thread. Also interesting how her “hundreds of dollars” of therapy wasn’t preceded by a disclaimer about her financial privilege.

For a long time I used to think “oh good, you have the awareness to recognize you’re being triggered”. As that’s kind of the point of therapy, you reflect on why you had a crazy emotional reaction to something relatively benign and trace it back to your problem. I used to think “good for you.” But then I realized it’s not about cultivating personal awareness of what triggers you and working through it, but demanding that others anticipate (impossibly) and warn you about what in the world could possibly cause irrational triggers, placing the responsibility on others. Not terribly productive for working through emotional issues, in my opinion.

I also have this inkling that whoever is most triggered by conversations about wheat probably needs to take it out of their diet more than anyone else. (perhaps ditto for floor tiles: if you’re triggered by home renovation threads, maybe it’s time for one? )

6. Kyle Buchan says:

Hi Mikhalia,

Your Dad is THE man. Congratulations on overcoming your health issues.

In a patreon Q&A your father said he pretty much just eats chicken and vegetables. I take it from my brief look over your blog that essentially you, your family and parents eat ketogenitically and only consume unprocessed foods.

Is this pretty much it?

Again, congratulations on overcoming your health issues. Congratularions and good luck on your pregnancy and congratulations on the engagement.

Kind regards

7. Licorice says:

Also came here after your father mentioned this blog in his video, and what an uncanny surprise that you are just as down to earth and clear sighted as he is.

You both write from the heart with an unapologetic fairness, rationality and sincerity.

Please, continue reproducing these glorious genetics!

Also pleasing to discover that you are indeed beautiful considering your father has a philosopher’s face, although I suppose not surprising…

Warmest regards from Australia and do forgive the bluntness, we are like this 🙂

8. Natalia says:

I have ovarian cysts pretty much on and off and I have been recommended by a couple of doctors here in Romania not to eat any bird due to the hormones that meat might be high on. That’s so sad, I love chicken a lot.

• I have a friend who’s on a similar diet to mine (limited grains, no dairy, no legumes) who has had success with treating polycystic ovary syndrome. She doesn’t seem to have a problem with chicken, but she buys hormone free/ antibiotic free meat. Can you get that?

9. xyz says:

A long time ago trigger warnings used to actually mean something. They were used for things like graphic descriptions of death, rape and other extreme violence. It has become absolutely ridiculous these days! Trigger warnings to talk about every little thing under the sun waters it down to such an extent it’s meaningless anymore.

I’ve also wondered why we needed to let every type of person or group know we’re thinking of them with every post we write. A while ago I was in an online group where a flamewar broke out because someone who had recent scars on their skin asked when they would turn white again. People flipped out because the person didn’t explicitly direct the question to white skinned people and therefore was excluding darker skinned people.

The original question seemed obvious who it was directed toward but the moderators and group agreed that if you wanted to ask a question about white skin you had to somehow include dark skin as well – just to let them know you’re thinking of them.

The group was crazy in a lot of other ways so I ended up leaving. It’s noteworthy this was 10 years ago and now seems to be coming to life in the real world today.

10. Elizabeth says:

I don’t know, at first I was confused why food needs a trigger warning but I realized people with eating disorders would be the target. It’s a community group and if a person wants to offer the trigger warning, I don’t have a problem with it.

11. Jennifer says:

Hi Mikhaila-

I found your blog through watching your dad’s videos. I wish everyone could have him as a teacher in school. I only found him now, at 40…all the crap I could have avoided if I only heard his words sooner! Hope his students know how lucky they are. He always says great things about you too. He’s a proud dad!

I also have auto immune (poly rheumatism and hashimotos) and have basically cured it with diet and backing off of exercise (yeah, working out 7 days a week was too much). I was on too much medication for the pain and swelling. And the synthetic hormones for the hypothyroid/hashimotos made me super sleepy but I couldn’t sleep. The medication is the top prescribed synthetic hormone in the US. I do believe the government is doing its best with food, medicine and vaccines to make sure we are compliant and complacent people. That we are lethargic and go along obediently. Don’t think for ourselved.

I was introduced to the “low thyroid diet” which is basically cutting out inflammatory foods. After 2 years, I lost 70lbs and have no more inflammation. I am happy to hear so many other people waking up and doing their own research to fix their health. The doctors, to this day, tell me that the food isn’t influencing my results…but I am 0% medication (including antibiotics) – only take vitamins. I am looking into your list of foods you eat and they are similar to mine.

As for “Mom’s clubs” – I have been there too- and if it isn’t one thing, it will be something else. They always know better than you, they judge other moms for how they parent if it is different from them, and they easily get offended. It’s hard being a mom. And the woman who said she is triggered by food and was happy for the warning…why was she reading the comments? Clearly she is triggered about the topic and jumped in anyway. You can never know what will trigger one person or another. We might as well start every post with “Trigger Warning” – when will this stop? Get a hold of your emotions. See the trigger, feel it, release on it and move the heck on!